Help with barking pup

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bookum1

Help with barking pup

Postby bookum1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:42 pm

When I kennel my 12 week old lab pup she wants to bark for several minutes until she finally calms down. She will kennel on demand and goes in just fine. I ignore her, but some times it lasts for several minutes. Is this something she will grow out of? I grab her muzzle and tell her quiet and she will until I leave. I just hate having to keep do it since she clearly doesn't like it.
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Re: Help with barking pup

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:09 am

You answered your own question. She will calm down. I use to put mine in the kennel randomly throughout the day just to go through this process. I put her in, she started barking and eventually would calm down. After several minutes of no barking I would come get her out and praise her plus a treat.

A great tip is to bring the kennel into the room you are in so she can see you. This will help them feel comfortable as well. as time passes, she will feel more and more comfortable and kennel time is just sleep time. I also fed my pup in the kennel for the first few months.

On another note, never associate the kennel with negatives. Don't punish her then send her straight to the kennel. You want the kennel to be her place to relax and sleep, not be punished.

The steps mentioned above helped my pup very well. Patience is very important in this game.
DuckHuntinChef
Regular

Postby DuckHuntinChef » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:35 am

A towel or blanket over the kennel helps to calm down most puppies that ive seen
K.I.S.S.

"The more I train, the more I realize I dont know anything about a dog"

HR Black Prairie "Chief"
Keep'em Laughin "Joker"
Bayou's Ramblin Man "Ty"
Willow's Midnight Madness "Maddie"
Tshoemake

Postby Tshoemake » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:38 pm

I agree that you answered your own question, however I would prob do one thing different. When I was training my dogs to kennel, if I aknowledged them while they was crying they would cry longer. However, if I put a blanket over their kennel and let them cry it out they would realize it is a safe place. Now my labs will go to their kennel when they get sleepy or just want to go lay down somewhere quiet without me even having to kennel them. It is all person preference but this is what worked for my dogs.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”