Finally got my long range gun set up---- with pics

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
lipsplitter39654
Duck South Addict

Finally got my long range gun set up---- with pics

Postby lipsplitter39654 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:52 am

Ordered this gun back in April thru Vans, 2 big thumbs up to them as always customer service was superb. Took about 5 months for the gun to be built. A little longer than expected. This is a Rock River Arms LAR 8 Predator in 308. Very smooth and great feel to it. What I like the most about it and this is the reason that many military and LE snipers have gone to the AR platform is how smooth and easy it is to recover for second and subsequent shots. No bolting, just realign your eye, find target and keep shooting.

I ordered the scope thru Bear Basin Outfitters. Took about 3 months to get it. I understand that the wait time with NF right now is around 33 weeks. This is the NF Benchrest 8x32x56 with NPR2 reticle. It is the clearest brightest glass that I have looked thru. Never looked thru Schmidt and Bender but most others I have seen.

My wife, Heather taking her turn shooting it. This gun weighs, im guessing, around 13-14 lbs, intend to weigh it to know. It has absolutely no recoil and with knowing that and the 2 stage match trigger you can hold it where you want it. I went with the Burris PEPR scope mount, butler creek sling and Blackhawk bipod.

Shot it some to sight it in on Thanksgiving morning in a hurry. Only shot it at 100 yards. Shooting Hornady 165 g SST Superformance I was able to get this group at 100 yards. Somewhere bt ½ and ¾ inch group from my estimate shooting only with the bipod on a table top. RRA guarantees 1 moa at 100 and this one is definitely better than that. With someone who is a good shot, IM NOT, and after barrel break in I think this gun will shoot sub ½ inch groups with factory loads.

Just wanted to share this info with you all as the topic of long range guns and scopes comes up quiet frequently on here. I did lots of research before making the decision to go with this setup. Cant wait to see what it will do at longer ranges.

This is a tool I am using for the reticle yardage marks. Will have to do lots more research and shooting to verify. Thinking about getting the NF Software which is supposed to be very precise
Last edited by lipsplitter39654 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is tough, life is even tougher if you're stupid" John Wayne

"Forgive and forget; but always remember." Jack Miner
Agua
Veteran

Re: Finally got my long range gun set up with pics

Postby Agua » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:59 am

That's a dream rifle right there, man. Congrats for putting it all together.
lipsplitter39654
Duck South Addict

Re: Finally got my long range gun set up---- with pics

Postby lipsplitter39654 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:02 am

thanks man. i was skeptical about not getting a custom bolt gun and had to really shift some things as far as toys (other guns) to be able to invest that kind of $$$ in a gun but i am sold for sure. it is very smooth. of course that group is nothing special at 100 yards, most guns will do that. the proof will be at longer ranges. my research prior to buying shows that the rra guns are very capable at 5-600 yards which is what i was looking for. the only down side is that it is heavy as a mother. it will be a burden out west where even a 7 or 8 pound gun gets heavy but nearly all of the long range guns weigh in the 10 lb or more range with optics.

kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:10 am

what do you plan to hunt with it? are you a predator guy. What is ballpark on just the gun no scope
lipsplitter39654
Duck South Addict

Postby lipsplitter39654 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:14 am

no im not a predator hunter at all, except by chance. i plan to deer, hog and elk hunt with it. really wanted to go with a 7 mm bullet of some sort but they dont offer it in the rock river setup. never fooled with a .308 much but it is a consitent round capable of killing most anything in NA.

lipsplitter39654
Duck South Addict

Postby lipsplitter39654 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:14 am

bare gun will run you around $1600 out the door give or take a few $$$

Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:17 am

Bad booty. I like the mount. You'll love the 308. The reticle with the ranges- how did you calculate that and is that picture something you will mount on the gun?
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Kealhofer
Veteran

Postby Kealhofer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:57 pm

You can't hide money!!!!!!!!
Do you eat duck meat?
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:17 pm

They sweet shootin rifles for sure! I sold 2 here not to long ago. One guy was ordering one and the other just happened in while I had all the specs up. Sold em both at the same time. In stock trim you can usually get em overnite. Custom work takes a while.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:15 pm

You should be able to kill a lot of geese with that
drakechaser
Veteran

Postby drakechaser » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Long range Zombie killer! I like it!
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" - President Ronald Reagan
lipsplitter39654
Duck South Addict

Postby lipsplitter39654 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:15 am

the pic of the reticle is from strelok which is an app on my android phone. you can enter wind speed, bullet weight, ballistic coefficient, temperature, altitude etc etc and it gives you the correct yardage for each reticle for many scopes. not sure how accurate it is yet but will verify asap

Roach
Duck South Addict

Postby Roach » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:15 am

YOUR WIFE IS WHITE!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Like the gun by the way.
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:19 am

Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
lipsplitter39654
Duck South Addict

Postby lipsplitter39654 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:53 am

she is indeed white. first 3 were mixed, finally talked a white un into marrying me.

yes its weird... for some reason our 6 year old is a big lsu fan. dont know why as we are indifferent. we are southern ms folks and dont normally get into the sec debacle and definitely not state or ole miss fans. i am indeed an lsu fan.... only when they play bamer. rest of the time i could care less....

Return to “General Discussion Forum”