Lost HRCH Saint

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bolivarduck
Veteran

Lost HRCH Saint

Postby bolivarduck » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:04 am

Hey Guys,

I haven't posted much lately or at all for that matter and Saint and I have been out of the hunt test thing and just hanging out and hunting for the last couple of years.

Saint came out of Wildwood Kennels in Ripley,MS (Rob Elliot)- by the way- if anyone knows how to contact him I would appreciate his number- I would really like to talk to him.

Saint came into my life in 2003 and quickly stole my heart. He went to stay with Steve Vires for several times and went to Alaska with him for Steve's first trip up there. Steve ran him in all of his tests (because I was too nervous to run him!) and we strugled at times because all Saint wanted to do was retrieve- he could care less about the rules!! :)

About 2 weeks ago durring his yearly checkup the vet found a large tumor between his right shoulder and his rib cage. He took a biopsy and sent to MSU and came back as Lyposarcoma. This was good news to some extent because it was the type of cancer that was well defined and encapsulated and, although it was in a bad place, the vet seemed to think it could be removed. Well, last week we went to MSU and they did CT scans and another biopsy and thought they could remove it. We went back this Tuesday and saw the reproduction docs and they got a specimen (ended up with one breeding available) and then he had surgery on Wed. He went in around 2 and at 5:30 the doc came out and said they got about 80% of the tumor, but he wasn't doing good. His heart was racing and later they had to do CPR and then they lost him. The doc said that it could have been due to the cancer cells entering his blood stream or it could have been a reaction to the transfusion that they gave him due to the blood loss durring surgery.

Earlier that day I went to the vet school and got Saint and took him out to the field beside the school. We walked around and I let him retrieve a stick (although he didn't really like it- it ended up being his last retrieve for me) and I talked to him. We layed down under a tree and he watched a young college girl bring her lab to the other side of the field and retrieve. He got to watch the birds fly around and even got to see one last squirel (he couldn't stand squirels when he was home!) We stayed outside with each other for around three hours before they came to get him.

I really can't believe he is gone... We burried him by my bedroom window with the Rainbow Bridge inside with him and notes from each of the family members inside. He will truely be missed! I have cried more over the last couple of days then I have ever cried I think. I keep thinking if I had just brough him home Wednesday morning then he would still be with us... its hard to know if I made the right decision or not. I just keep tinking about all of the great memories and the great times that we have had over the years. I will never forget Saint, but I will now turn my attention to getting a puppy off of him... I have one shot and hope and pray that I can have a puppy off of him at some point.
blckdog
Regular

Re: Lost HRCH Saint

Postby blckdog » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:17 am

Sorry for your loss. I am dreading that day myself. They just dont live long enough.
HRCH Noah's Perro de Negro
Steve V

Postby Steve V » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:26 am

so sorry...I'll holler at you today..

bolivarduck
Veteran

Postby bolivarduck » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:17 am

Thanks Steve... I remember the challenges he gave you just to make it through a test without bouncing off of everything there... all he wanted to do was go retrieve something! Here are a two that I found.
Attachments
stevetravissaintrowdy.jpg
steveandsaint.jpg
flyntwt
Veteran

Postby flyntwt » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Godspeed Saint, and peace to those that love him.
rawalley
Duck South Addict

Postby rawalley » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:49 pm

I lost mine six months ago. This was a good read for me, I miss him so much. He will always be with you in your memories.
Richard Walley
(601)317-0657
claimsadj
Veteran

Postby claimsadj » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:25 pm

You made the right decision, I wouldn't question that for a second. Anyone of us would do the same. He went out pain free and without suffering. Sounds like he had a good life.
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:47 pm

I am so sorry for you and your family. Non retriever people have a difficult time understanding how deeply these dogs become a part of our lives and the bond we share with them makes their loss that much more painful. Rest assured that the many fond memories will eventually replace the grief you and your family feel. Remember that even though his life was cut short you gave him the opportunity to live more in that time than other dogs could ever experience.

My condolences,

Bill
legends of the lower mars
Duck South Sponsor

Postby legends of the lower mars » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:40 pm

Prayers sent...
WHO DAT!

TOURNAMENT REDFISHING TEAM

A man may have many dogs in his life, but, a "True Legend" comes only once...

NOTICE! USERNAME SHOULD READ---"Legends of the Lower Marsh"
ragon
Veteran

Postby ragon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:46 am

prayers sent! sorry for your loss!
GRHRCH UH Mallards Bear Trap MH - Bear AKA ( Meathead )

Mallards Daisy Cutter ( Daisy )
BGITTER
Regular

Postby BGITTER » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:33 am

Sorry for your loss,all dogs go to heaven!!
HRCH Triads Mystery Machine ( Scooby)
richard b evers
Duck South Addict

Postby richard b evers » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:58 am

Sorry for your loss.
Semper Fi
AKA - Hollywood
BAY KINGFISHER
Duck South Addict

Postby BAY KINGFISHER » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:24 am

sorry for your loss!!
HRCH Mr. Buck's Delta Do "Dee" MH
bolivarduck
Veteran

Postby bolivarduck » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks for everyones thoughts and prayers! Some days are better than others- I find myself looking for him all the time in places around the house. I'm sure it will just take some time.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:28 pm

A dog has a special place in our hearts, that is for sure.

Sorry for your loss, I've got one now at 10 that I don't want to see go.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it

Return to “General Discussion Forum”