A fishing trip I'll never forget

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
RiverDuck
Duck South Addict

A fishing trip I'll never forget

Postby RiverDuck » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:15 pm

“G-money” (Dad) and I have returned from the Louisiana marsh in Venice with redfish in the cooler! For several years it has been Dads dream to go down into the brackish water of Louisiana and hook into a bull red with his flyrod. My mission was to get dad into a position to make that dream come true…

We left early Friday morning headed south in hopes of finding some fish and getting acquainted with the area. When we arrived in Venice around 1 o’clock we were welcomed with high winds and a low/slack tide…not good. It was too windy for the flyrod so we sent spinner baits towards the bank most of the afternoon. We ended up catching 3 nice reds in the 25-28in class and called it a day.

We were met by windy conditions again Saturday, but found a point of cane holding a good number of keeper reds. After netting a close to a limit by 9 o’clock on spinning gear, dad decided it was time to break out the “long stick” and kick things up a notch. Dad casted to the point of canes and on his 3rd cast, Boom, fish on! After we high fived and took some pictures of dads first red on a fly, a 21” beauty, we headed over to a spot that a veteran of the marsh had told us we needed to check out. As soon as we entered the pond we were greeted by baitfish everywhere and some redfish boiling at the surface. I immediately spotted a redfish in murky water along a point of grass and after a couple of casts dad was hooked up with a monster red on his flyrod. Dad battled the fish for about 8-10 minutes and when the fish finally tired down I coaxed him into the net and dad had a beautiful 8lb red with over 13 spots! We celebrated with sandwiches, chips, and beer. After lunch we caught and released several more reds, and Dad continued to haul in a couple more nice ones on his flyrod. As the sun started setting dad coaxed me into trying to catch a fish with his flyrod before we called it a day. I spotted a nice red along the shore and after a couple casts the fish was screaming away from the bank with the fly in his mouth. What a feeling, now I know why my dad loves flyfishing so much! As the sun set, we put the motor down and headed back towards camp in hopes of equaling what we thought couldn’t get any better…

The next day we were again greeted by rough conditions, a wind change and a high tide. We started off close to where we had had success the day before, but we came up empty handed…things weren’t looking good. After coming into the south end of another big cove around 8:30 dad spotted the tail of a big redfish in a pocket protected by the wind. Dad scrambled around getting his flyrod organized and took several shots at that fish but came up with nothing. As Dad had been casting at the fish he saw tailing, I was watching what looked to be several more fish going nuts in another pocket around 150 yards away. I suggested that we get over there and see what was going on. Halfway towards the little cove Dad spotted a fin, giving us more reassurance of what lay ahead. As we pulled up to the pocket the winds died down and the sun popped out and God said…’let there be redfish!’ It was insane! The little pool was teaming with 7-10lb redfish. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I turned to Dad and he was in a serious “situation” with his flyrod. He had a huge knot and couldn’t find his glasses to get it untangled…I’m thinking, “wow, this is not a good time to be having problems with your gear”. After we get that “situation” under control Dad and I take turns nailing big redfish on a fly. It was epic! If you made a good cast about 12in. in front of one of those reds the next thing you would see was it’s gills flair and the white fly disappear into its mouth…and it was fish on! We had dozens of opportunities each and managed to land 5 real nice 26-30in. fish on a fly. We had some close calls on break-offs and misses but had an absolute ball. At around 11 the wind picked up and we decided to head back towards Mississippi. What a day in the mash!

Dad and I talked about sight fishing for reds the whole way home. I have a new respect for the art of flyfishing. It was a special trip, and one that neither of us will ever forget! Mission accomplished…

Dads first red on a fly

Dads 13 spot 8lb'er

My first red on a fly

Other's we caught

I'd like to give a special thanks to Jeff on here who gave us some direction and pointers before we embarked on this journey!
JDgator
Duck South Addict

Re: A fishing trip I'll never forget

Postby JDgator » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:45 pm

Well done!
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:47 pm

Awesome
blindretrieve101
Regular

Postby blindretrieve101 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Awesome...I had to go dig up the pics from my dad's first trip after talking to you....Great memories!
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:36 pm

You won't ever forget those moments.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
cupnglide
Veteran

Postby cupnglide » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Great story and great pics! You guys got into some good uns.
Never assume.
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Congratulations. I am envious. I would love to catch a big red on a fly rod. Only thing better would be to see Pops pull it off.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
legends of the lower mars
Duck South Sponsor

Postby legends of the lower mars » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:06 pm

Most excellent!!! :wink: Fly fishing for reds is off da' chain!!!
WHO DAT!

TOURNAMENT REDFISHING TEAM

A man may have many dogs in his life, but, a "True Legend" comes only once...

NOTICE! USERNAME SHOULD READ---"Legends of the Lower Marsh"
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:21 pm

Real glad it worked out so well for you. That's a lot of good eating too!
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Helluva trip. Smoked em

See any blue darters?
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:03 am

Great trip, pics and story! Thanks for sharing. Nice of Jeff to help out by giving some pointers too! Maybe one day I will get off my can and go enjoy the marsh.
Scott Baker
Bankermane
Duck South Addict

Postby Bankermane » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:40 am

Which one is the dad ? Just kidding but he looks young. What weight rod were you using? 8?
"Being white ain't all its cracked up to be"

"Fighting on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics...Even if you win, you're still retarded"...
RiverDuck
Duck South Addict

Postby RiverDuck » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks guys, those big reds really put up a fight, they just don't have any quit in them. The rod was an 8 weight Sage and those reds would make some big 40-60ft runs, my wrist would be sore after a 5 minute battle. Dad is wanting to build a poling platform and casting deck on our boat now...he's hooked!
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:48 am

can't see the pics? :evil:
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:55 am

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Return to “General Discussion Forum”