Benelli spring question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
sadie1
Veteran

Benelli spring question

Postby sadie1 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:35 am

My dad has a Benelli 20 gauge auto and the spring in the bottom is so tight you can barely insert the shells. Is this something easy to adjust? Its been like that since the gun was new and I thought it would loosen up with a little use but it has been 2 years now and it hasn't loosened but a little. It may not even be a problem with the spring but something is off. After a dove hunt his thumb will be sore for a week. I am not great at taking things apart, but I sure would love to fix it.
jar0023
Veteran

Re: Benelli spring question

Postby jar0023 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:40 am

I wonder if it's all the spring or the plug the shells push against is binding. Pull the spring and and plug make sure nothing binding. Also remember if that spring is weak or slow it will affect cycling. You're relying on that spring to spit the next shell onto the carrier before the bolt closes. FWIW it takes very little pressure to compress that spring in my Benelli.

J
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
fivemile
Veteran

Postby fivemile » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:59 pm

One other thing you might check is the red plastic part at the bottom of the spring (where you insert the shell). It can get so dirty on the sides that you can hardly hammer a shell into the gun.
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:38 am

had the same problem in my new super vinci. tough spring. it rubbed a blister on my finger also. i shot roughly 2 cases of shells through it since and it's definitely loosened up. Shooting high brass heavy loads seemed to help more. 24 boxes through mine and it's a lot easier to shove them in. if he's not shooting really frequently then i could see how it's taken 2 years and your still not sure if it'll loosen. keep on shooting though, it should loosen on up

Return to “General Discussion Forum”