Louisiana Lawyer for child custody

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Louisiana Lawyer for child custody

Postby mshunter77 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:49 am

Well without having to get into a complex story with a bunch of details lets just say we have had an interesting few days at our house. We received some interesting information about my wifes exhusband that is stirring up some issues. With the issues that are going on we have decided that we are not going to let him have unsupervised visitation with my step daughter until these issues have been resolved. He will still be allowed to see her but he must travel over here and my wife will be with them at all times. Also we have recently started the process of going through the state to get child support since he has not paid regularly over the past couple of years. He says he doesn't have money to pay us child support but yet him and his wife are on vaction in vegas, which is the second vaction they have taken this summer. So with all of this going on we want to prepare for the possibility of a custody battle down the road. I really don't think it will come to that but we want to be prepared if it does. They were married in Louisiana and divorced through Louisiana so it is my understanding we will have to go to court in Louisiana. So I am wondering if anyone knows of some good lawyers for this type of situation. We really can't afford a really expensive lawyer but I want someone good, we will make whatever sacrifices are needed and will find a way to pay the lawyer.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Re: Louisiana Lawyer for child custody

Postby MudHog » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:58 pm

I will talk with a cousin of mine who is in a similar position as you. I do know their laywer has told them to hold off until the ex-husband has accrued $5000 worth of back child support. Reason for this is, if you bring him to court for $1000, all he has to come up with is $1000 and he gets away scott free. $5000 is a little harder to come up with on a moments notice.

This lawyer would be in the New Iberia, LA area.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:34 pm

i highly recommend jami crews (1.318.434.0270 or 601.636.1930). she's licensed in ms and la. a substantial part of her practice is domestic/family law and commonly handles custody cases where one side is in ms and the other in la.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Nobody owes you anything.
GordonGekko
Duck South Addict

Postby GordonGekko » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:10 pm

Depending on how long your wife and step-daughter have been in Mississippi you may be able to enroll the original decree as a foreign judgment and proceed here, and you can likely have a temporary hearing in Mississippi if the child is in danger. But, that decision may not be right in your case. Failure to pay child support is contempt and you can recover attorneys fees if successful. There are some negatives to going through the State, so you may want to explore the option of a witholding order (where it comes straight out of his paycheck directly to you). Ask the attorney you meet with which is the best in your situation.

If you are trying to restrict his visitation make sure you file to modify ASAP (you probably also want to consider whether you have should try to modify child support as well, and certainly discuss filing contempt if he is over thirty days in arrears). If the situation is severe enough to warrant restricting his visitation then you need to get into court quickly for a temporary hearing. If you just start refusing to let him have his visitation as allowed under the decree you will be in contempt and that doesn't bode well for you. These are just a few things to think about and maybe mention to a prospective attorney and get their thoughts after discussing specifics. Without knowing all the ins and outs of the situation nobody will be equipped to advise you adequately. And remember all situations are different, just because your friend's mom did something and got a great result doesn't mean it will apply in your case.
"In God we trust, all others pay cash."

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Press Alt+F4 to ignore my posts

Return to “General Discussion Forum”