mac or pc

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
gator
Duck South Sponsor

mac or pc

Postby gator » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:37 am

needing to buy a new desktop soon for my house. bout all i need to do is to be able to type (i'm working on my memoirs and such), fool with photos, and hit the net.....my mind is about made up on spending the dough and toting a mac desktop home w/ me - i like the idea of having the photoshops and the like built in to the system and not having to concern myself with whether or not my next ipod update is gonna be a headache.

from what i can gather, macs are built more for the creative side of things....that sums up my writings here, creative (i.e. lies, hehe)

but, i'd like the pros and cons of each from you tech heads.

gator
HRCH Eight Gauge - Gauge (see you on the bridge buddy)
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man - Trapper
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Re: mac or pc

Postby deltadukman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:43 am

I'll you you this. If'n I toted the checkbook around here and they were compatible with all of our different things we had to conect to, I would have a MAC book...one of those stainless steel ones. We literally have stacks of old burnt up dell laptops where the hard drives just burn up and shut down.
Redhead
Duck South Addict

Postby Redhead » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:58 am

mac 8)
Shoot em on Three... 1 ... 2... Boom
woody
Veteran

Postby woody » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:00 pm

I have a Mac BookAir, my father has the new Mac BookAir and the large desktop. I think they are great. Don't have to fool with Norton Anti-virus updates or any of those security programs. The automatic updates for Ipod and Iphone are convenient since you can set it up to check for updates everytime you log on and it will update your computer and/or ipod, ipad, iphone automatically. The mouse pad on a MacBook and the mouse for a desktop have the ability to scroll down using two fingers by swiping fingers up and down, similar to the iphone. Maybe PCs can do that, I don't know.
The only issue I had when I started on the Mac was adjusting to the location of the "X" out or close button at the top right of the programs instead of the top left like a PC. Overall, I think you would enjoy a Mac over a PC. The desktop version also hsa evrything in the monitor so there is no need for space for a tower like you would have with a PC.
I bought the Microsoft Office for my Mac so my work would be compatible with PCs and it works great. Although the Macs have a lot of stuff I don't use they are great computers. I would highly recommend a Mac.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:09 pm

Get a Mac book or Mac book pro. Aperture is the photo program I use. I wouldn't fool with a desk top unit.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:11 pm

BD, any particular reason? i've had both laps and desk tops here at the house and for whatever reason, i've always felt more comfortable typing for long periods on a desk top rig.

**edited to add - i've fooled with lightroom and aperture at a glance a few times....i've been leaning towards just having photoshop built into it an be done, but i'm starting to feel like coming off that since i never used PS to the max that it could be used for and add aperture or lightroom.....not sure which

gator
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:39 pm

"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:03 pm

Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
blackhawk0718
Duck South Addict

Postby blackhawk0718 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:08 pm

Got a mac and its on its second trip to a foreign country and working great. get a MAC.
Look out for dem danm COOTS
there every were
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:47 pm

Justin, we are about to get the 27 inch desktop. It has a built in raw converter and all that good stuff. Gonna need to get cs3 or something later, but it will work for now. I was very impressed with the desktops.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:35 pm

Last edited by rjohnson on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Oh and if you get a Mac don't fall for the "they don't get viruses" and put some kind of antivirus software on it. The number of Macs out there now has grown enough that the developers (a.k.a. A$$HOLES) are writing more and more malicious software that will hit a Mac. And if you get a Mac don't get a Macbook, get a Macbook Pro with tougher stainless case on it. The other one will look worn very quickly.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:26 pm

I don't know enough about PS to scratch the surface so don't rely on my. Aperture does everything I need - which isn't much. My Macbookpro is strong enough to do whatever computer work I need. The biggest draw back is that I find the keys a little farther apart on the key board. maybe a few milimeters. It took a while to learn to type on it. I like the portability of the mackbook pro. I take it on vacations and all such types of trips.

gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:33 pm

thanks guys.

ronnie, i had the no virus talk just today with someone. i am the sort that will pay the extra 100 or whatever in order to bypass any future issue as best i can. i can handle assholes, it's when i don't plan for said "turd-cutter" that i get pissed at my ownself.

BD, me and you both so far as photoshop goes.....that program for those that can use it to its utmost is most likely worth every penny......i just need something to hem up a photo or hundred.

i've pretty much made my mind up on a mac from the post here and what i've done over the last few weeks so far as looking. the laptop/desktop issue is still being fought in my brain, so most likely i'll make the purchase later on.

quick question regarding "systems".

for home use, and considering most photos are going to be dumped into an external HD and off the computer itself......is upgrading to 8 GB of "ram" really that big a deal? i can't remember what this POS is i'm typing on now, but most likely not 8 and i got 8 good years out of it.

gator
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:53 pm

I never scrimp on ram. Not saying that is the wise move but many times wished my set up ws faster and never wished I had more hard drive. Talking about my Dell system. In my mind I can have more stuff open and working at top speed with he more ram I have. I don't know If this is true or not but in blackduckville it most assuredly is.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”