Recovery time

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
JD70
Regular

Recovery time

Postby JD70 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:20 am

I've seen a lot of ads for supplements geared to giving your dog a quicker recovery time after a tough day in the field, either training or hunting.
Since we'll be hunting catfish ponds and the retrieves will be 99% water I was wondering if anyone used a supplement to help your dog.
Thanks,
Dan
Duck South Addict

Re: Recovery time

Postby cdwyer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:56 pm

High quality dog food is really all you need.

Make sure he is well conditioned for opening morning and should be good to go. There have been a bunch of products to help dogs rehydrate quicker but that would be for hotter weather training or cold weather endurance training.

If he is an older dog maybe a supplement for joints?
HRCH Circle J's Honey May MH
HRCH Berger Lake Rowdy SH
GRHRCH UH Gammon's Third Times A Charm MH QAA
BAY KINGFISHER
Duck South Addict

Postby BAY KINGFISHER » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:53 pm

+1 what Charles said. I would make sure your dog is used to taking a lot of water. Last year in the catfish ponds we had some retrieves that took as much as ten minutes to complete. So, I wouldnt just throw a dog out there that hasnt had a lot of conditioning. Also, goes without saying, make sure your dog is real steady so cleaning up the cripples can happen. Diver duck shooting can be fun , but hell on an out of shape dog!!
HRCH Mr. Buck's Delta Do "Dee" MH
JD70
Regular

Postby JD70 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks for the replies, i feed him a high quality food with a protien to fat ratio of 30/20.
Hank is my 19month old 80 lb "lil" retriever, I work with him almost everyday and we do multiple water retrieves at the boat landing, from 30 to 80 yrds about three times a week. I'm new to all this so I didnt know if any of the supplements were worth the $$
Thanks again,
Dan

Postby Troy Williams » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:02 am

Take some snacks for your dog while hunting. Mashmellows are good for a boost; Or just some dog food to snack on. Helps them keep their energy up while working and helps them to recover faster.

You can add a little olive oil to their food for some added fat and calories as well.

Troy

Return to “General Discussion Forum”