DU in hot water, huh?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
duckmeat

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby duckmeat » Tue Nov 20, 2001 11:05 am

DU, the self proclaimed leader in wetland conservation, stepped on the toes of the real leader in wetland conservation, the farmers. DU supported the KIND Amendment to the Farm Bill which proposed to take 20 Billion from the farmers and put it in conservation, mostly WRP. Now remember, WRP is DU's biggest member, as DU has the contract to do most WRP work in the Country. Farmers are mad as hell, and several local DU chapters have canceled their banquets because of it. Eudora, AR, Suttgart, AR, and several others. DU just lost their biggest supporters, the farmers.
duckmeat

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby duckmeat » Tue Nov 20, 2001 11:16 am

Just to add to my posting, I wondered if anyone had caught all the great articles in the Delta Farm Press over the past couple of weeks about the DU issue. One guy went as far as to write a letter to Don Young, the CEO of DU, saying he wanted his membership struck from thier organization. The letter was forwarded to the Delta Farm Press and published. This guy started the U of Ark Chapter of DU and serves as Chairman of another chapter now. He said DU could forget about the money that he has been raising for DU over the past 15 years. DU has biten the hand that feeds it. Ouch!
Delta Waterfowl and other waterfowl conservation group have seen a record level of membership growth since this made news as DU members are pulling their money out and putting it in other waterfowl conservation groups.
LongBarrel
Regular

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby LongBarrel » Tue Nov 20, 2001 11:45 am

Quote from DU Newsletter
Farm Bill

Groups represented in the testimony of Ducks Unlimited before the Committee on Agriculture:
American Fisheries Society, Archery Manufacturers and Merchants Organization, Bass Anglers Sportsman's Society, Boone and Crocket Club, Buckmasters American Deer Foundation, California Waterfowl Association, Campfire Club of America, Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, Conservation Force, Dallas Safari Club, Delta Waterfowl Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, Foundation for North American Wild Sheep, International Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, International Foundation for the Conservation of Natural Resources, Izaak Walton League of America, Mississippi Fish and Wildlife Foundation, The Mule Deer Foundation, National Rifle Association, National Shooting Sports Foundation, National Trappers Association, National Wild Turkey Federation, The Nature Conservancy, North American Gamebird Association, North American Waterfowl Federation, Orion-The Hunter's Institute, Pheasants Forever, Pope and Young Club, Quail Unlimited, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Safari Club International, Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute, The Ruffed Grouse Society, Trout Unlimited, Whitetails Forever, Wildlife Habitat Council, The Wildlife Society, Wildlife Legislative Fund of America, Wildlife Management Institute

This is a listing of groups that DU is representing/speaking for.
webfoot
Duck South Addict

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby webfoot » Wed Nov 21, 2001 6:06 am

MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby MSDuckmen » Wed Nov 21, 2001 7:15 am

DU is finally getting exactly what they deserve.
wilder

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby wilder » Wed Nov 21, 2001 10:46 am

I recently joined Delta Waterfowl for similar reasons. Also, the local DU chapter
board thinks it is some private club! The Delta Waterfowl members greeted me with warm smiles!
Radale

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby Radale » Wed Nov 21, 2001 11:40 am

We are hosting the first ( I Believe) Delta Waterfowl Sponsor Banquet Nov. 30th.
1st Annual Mossy Oak Chapter Delta Waterfowl Banquet
Bigpoppa
Duck South Addict

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby Bigpoppa » Wed Nov 21, 2001 1:50 pm

Be very careful about pledging your allegiance to Delta Waterfol. They are a good organization but they have shortcomings too, but who doesnt. Forget what I said. Im a mow-ron.
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby goosebruce » Thu Nov 22, 2001 7:11 pm

I pledge allegence, to Delta Waterfowl yada yada yada. No PC considerations, hard core science, and realistic views of the world, what else you want? They don't have a cheesy tv show, or logo patio furniture, so maybe that's what else. travis
Delta Duck
Duck South Addict

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby Delta Duck » Thu Nov 22, 2001 7:21 pm

Xpress,
What short comings are you talking about?

Delta is hardcore science. They made it pretty plain on the predator control. If you want a large hatch, then you have to kill or trap the predator. No one wanted the hear about killing those poor creatures.
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby Dutch Dog » Thu Nov 22, 2001 8:32 pm

I would have to agree with Goose. That TV show is one of the stupidest (if there is such a word) TV shows I have ever seen. The hosts are all so righteous, proper and uppidy it makes me sick. Everything is done for them. They needed to get someone who has actually worked to get where they are to host the show. If these guys were turned loose on government land with the rest of us to hunt ducks, we'd smoke em. The only thing they know about duck hunting is riding to a heated blind wearing their $400 outfits shooting their $1000 guns and shooting their $2 a shot bismuth or tungsten iron shells at ducks that someone else has done all the work to find and then sending their $1500 Brittish lab that someone else has trained to get the downed birds. I feel the same way about these guys as I do about Wayne Pearson and all his "plantation style" quail hunts he goes on on his tv show "outdoor guides". Him and that goofball that is his co-host need to find something else to do because that show SUCKS. I mean just how hard is it to go out and shoot quail that just 1 hour ago or less were planted by their "guide"? This my friends is NOT hunting. Granted, it's nice to have some amenities and nice equipment, I aint knocking that, it's just disheartening so see these so called experts showing us how to do it when in reality they themselves are clueless. Sorry to vent so long on this subject its just a sore spot with me.
sondance
Veteran

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby sondance » Thu Nov 22, 2001 11:21 pm

Wouldn't that be a riot. Du outdoors hunting at DNF or Panther Swamp. I can see it now. Them camping out at 12 O'clock in their RV. Busting ass in the dark to get to a spot first. Falling in on the way because they were walking too fast in anticipation. Setting up and at first light some guy coming in and setting up on top of them, robos everywhere. First bird of the morning comes in, a shoveler nontheless. It sounds like a traffic jam with all the calls blowing. He makes a pass and circles headed to their hand carved dekes and the full 21 gun salute erupts. He flairs. A few more birds are seen but skyblasting turns them. 2 hours later they have run out of stories to tell about there guided hunts worldwide. They give up. Headed out they see an old mudhen. The $3000 Fox sidelock goes off. The last shot is them standing there with their bag talking about what a wonderful hunt. Only to find out that the damn RV is stuck in the gumbo mud and the had a pin hole leak in the crotch of his waders. What a trip. Now that would be a TV show I would watch. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
ssoutfitters

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby ssoutfitters » Sat Nov 24, 2001 5:08 pm

Cool! Let's all jump on the first with the most! Let's get after the guys that first carried the flag for the cause of saving wetlands. And most important let's stack high and break apart wht they have put together. Isn't that what team work is all about?! Don't we need more internal fighting among hunters?! Who is the real enemy of hunters? It's not you and me! Look out guys...a real enemy exists. You guys sound like the garbage we deal with in DC!!!
Sure you have my profiel...a 24 year volunteer with DU...but I hunt Hillside and Panther as much as I do the big $$$ clubs I get invited to. C'mon guys...don't let putting down the other team make you feel good. We will all lose!
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby Dutch Dog » Sat Nov 24, 2001 11:20 pm

thats all fine and dandy about them conserving and whatnot. They have done a great deal for the ducks in the past, but nowdays if you aren't a friggin billionaire with 40,000 acres DU don't want to talk to you. Their TV show does suck and their hosts are pitiful excuses for hunters. you may hunt panther and hillside and all that jazz, but all that should do is show you that DU isn't interested in the common man. If they want to get continued support they need to step back and take a long hard look at just who donates the majority of the monies they use to go on their exotic hunts all over the planet. If they want to bite the hand that feeds it, we sure as HELL can find another organization to lend our financial support to. I haven't been a member of DU for over 6 years now. [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]
damnyankee
Veteran

DU in hot water, huh?

Postby damnyankee » Sun Nov 25, 2001 6:56 pm

Well said by goosebruce.
Spoke with several farmers this past week that are scrambling to pull DU stickers off everything they own(my Dad being one of them)
I have been losing patience with DU on and off for the last few years really only keeping my membership for the mag., but after Sat. in Stuttgart I'm done. Here's what happened.
I'm walking past the Delta booth with my Delta sponsor hat on, guy at the booth Jeff? says nice hat and we have nice conversation. Proceed past the DU AR booth just to hear one of the guys behind the booth instruct me I should put my money with a good organization and he kept going blah blah blah.
I informed him he better spend my Dads farm bill money wisely because that's all he'll be getting from us and alot of other farmers.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”