breathable waders

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
litlhitch
Veteran

breathable waders

Postby litlhitch » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 am

Anybody wear breathable waders for duck hunting? I got a pair for work but they are not insulated enough to wear for hunting but they are SUPER comfortable. And they dont get holes in them as easy as many people think. The looseness of the material allows sticks to brush against the material without putting a hole in them. Heck they are probably better than neoprene waders when it comes to sticks putting holes in them.

I know Macks has a pair they sale but before I buy them, I want to know they are warmer than the cabelas non-insulated pair I have for work. You can always wear 4 layers underneath the waders if they are not insulated but I would rather have a pair with some insulation.
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am
duramax
Duck South Addict

Re: breathable waders

Postby duramax » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:42 am

I have a pair of non-camo ones for fly fishing, and a pair of camo ones for early duck hunting. I've only used the ones for duck hunting a couple times for teal season. I've fished on some very chilly days (mid 30's) in my breathables and I never got cold. I just wore a pair of polar fleece pants and my camo pants on top under the waders. I'd love a pair that have the boot built in for duck hunting. The ones I have are the like the fishing style where you have to wear wading boots, and they have a tendancy to stick in mud more than the normal duck waders. I would wear them a lot more. Because I surely don't need my 5mm 1000 gram thinsulate neos when it's 50 degrees.

I'm actually going to Argentina, and am bringing my breathables there since it won't be very cold, and I am trying to pack light.
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
lipsplitter39654
Duck South Addict

Postby lipsplitter39654 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:50 am

i have a pair of the drake boat pants. have worn them for 2 years and love em. i will be buying a pair of the drake est which is like the boat pants but full chest waders before this season. i wear them 80%of the season from early teal thru the coldest days. they are so easy to get on and off and dry much faster. i just layer up for the colder days. i have found that the only time i wear my drake chest waders is when i am in timber and the waist highs are not talll enough. i absolutely love them but they are expensive. others make nice ones too like lacrosse.
"Life is tough, life is even tougher if you're stupid" John Wayne

"Forgive and forget; but always remember." Jack Miner
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:21 am

In 5 years breathables will be the duck hunting standard, just like they took over the fly fishing world 10 years ago.
augustus_65
Veteran

Postby augustus_65 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am

I have a pair of Mack's breathables and there is plenty of insulation in the boots. They are built to allow for layering to keep you warm in about conditions you will face in the South. I hunted in 19 degree temps last season in mine and didn't get cold. The boots are cut lower than Lacrosse so they may rub a little until you get them broken in. They are also light enough for early teal season.
litlhitch
Veteran

Postby litlhitch » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:54 am

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:56 am

I bought a pair this year. I was tired of the old neoprene waders that leaked in the crotch. New waders every two years.

I got some Cabelas waders that are breathable. Not as cheap as I would have liked but still.......

I plan on wearing some longhandles and some fleece pants under them to keep warm.

I'm done with neoprene for a while. :evil:
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:55 pm

I've had a pair of Cabelas Warrior II's for 3 years - these are the ones with the 1000 gram boots and from what I hear, may be harder to find. The key is that you can "Dress-Up" or "Dress-Down" underneath depending on conditions. Have hunted standing in crotch deep water in sub-freezing temps and absolutely comforatable. I believe the key is that I am not building up the sweat underneath while putting out dekes and all the other things required pre-hunt.

So easy to walk and maneuver in. And, let's face it - there's many morning during the season where the lows are anywhere near freezing - some days make it to the 60's and 70's. Never Neoporene ever again for me.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:35 pm

I went on a rant awhile back on the current state of waders. Someone make a pair of comfortable, seamless waders that are breathable, and you will be a very rich man.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:35 pm

Hunting down here further south of ya'll, I have been using them exclusivley for the past 12 years. I am on my second pair of Cabela's boot foot waist highs. I love them, I can stuff them into a dry box on the boat and they are always there if I need them.

I agree on the durability. I have been very pleased.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:53 pm

Do the Drake boat pants have boots? I love my hip boots for work and walking in and out of shallow places. I'm looking for something without insulated boots.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
ducman77
Duck South Addict

Postby ducman77 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:33 pm

Yes.. Let me know if you decide to get some I will hook you up...
shoot'm in the lips
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:38 am

The other plus of waisthigh breathables versus hip boots is no itchy but from sitting on a wet seat in a blind.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Ummm, itchy butt.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:51 pm

Very few things in life I hate worse than itchy butt. Very few.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/

Return to “General Discussion Forum”