breathable waders

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Re: breathable waders

Postby Double R 2 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:13 am

I've worn Lacrosse breathable waders exclusively for last 2 seasons. When it's sure-enough cold, I wear long handles and insulated pants under then. Boots are 600 gr thinsulate. So far so good.
Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.
litlhitch
Veteran

Postby litlhitch » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Looked at the breathable waders at macks pw and dont think I am going to go with those..the boots look like they weigh a ton and are about the size of a boat..guess that is because they are 1000 gram thinsulate..

Looks like its down to either the Lacrosse Alpha Swampfox or Cabelas DryPlus..Are the cabelas 600 gram or lacrosse 600 gram boots oversized like the Macks PW boots appeared to be?
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:38 pm

The boots on my 1000 gram Cabela's breathables are no bigger than any pair of other boots on my neoprenes.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
mottlet
Duck South Addict

Postby mottlet » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:37 pm

I have the pair from Mack's and agree that breathable=the tits.

However, I don't like the comfort, or lack thereof, of the boots. As someone has stated, they're a bit short and seem to "pinch" my leg, even after wearing them for a couple of seasons now. Not as much of a problem when it's colder and I'm layering up under my waders, of course. But when it's not brutally cold, it's a real annoyance. I'd try the LaCrosse or Cabela's if I were doing it over.
It's a bloody mary morning...
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:27 am

I just ordered some of the dry plus waders with 600 boots.. was wondering if anyone had experience with them. Thought I might change my order to the warrior II's with 1,000 thinsulate while I could
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
jar0023
Veteran

Postby jar0023 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:33 pm

I've been wearing Hodgman Breathables (w/ zipper) for the last fives seasons. I have a pair of heavy duty neoprens I've kept around for really cold days but I just don't wear them anymore no matter how cold it gets. Breathables are just on another level as far as comfort goes. Wool socks, long underwear and fleece pants are plenty warm for me. Having the full zipper on the front makes for easy on/easy off. I'll agree with the others, they are tougher than you'd think.

Word of caution if you look at the Hodgman's. Do NOT buy any wader with Wadelite EVA boots. I ordered a set of replacements with the EVA boots and they are basically hard plastic. They rubbed a chunk of skin off my leg just walking around the house in about five minutes.

J
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:39 am

I have a pair of Macks Breathable waders and they have held up so far this year. Once you get them broken in they are ten times easier to wear than neoprene. Cold has not been an issue yet obviously.
work hard, play hard
stray1
Regular

Postby stray1 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:27 am

I bought the Warrior ii's from Cabelas. So far so good, but honestly I think full breathables might be even better. The neoprene legs still get damp from sweat and the top will be dry.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”