Another dog food question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
music_man
Veteran

Another dog food question

Postby music_man » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:18 pm

My 2 yr old blm is healthy! (regular vet check ups)
However, his coat has never looked great! I've tried everything! Regular brushing (he's a very heavy shedder, especially in summer), different foods, etc.
I've always fed pro plan performance during hunting season, and all life stages or large breed the rest of the time. After a vet exam of his skin, he said it's nothing to worry about, but to swap him to a lamb and rice formula. So, I did! I've tried purina one lamb and rice, and pro plan lamb and rice. Still, no shiny coat!
Any suggestions or ideas?
digger
Duck South Addict

Re: Another dog food question

Postby digger » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Add a little oil to feed,fish oil or veg. oil.
chance
Duck South Addict

Postby chance » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:16 am

There is not a better food on the market than ProPlan Performance, the lamb and rice blend. You could give your dog one of those fish oil capsules at meal time. It will help improve his hair coat over time.
BrettG
Veteran

Postby BrettG » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:03 pm

old school remedy of a little bacon grease over the kibble.
JD70
Regular

Postby JD70 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:22 am

The fish oil or some vegetable oil in his food adds more Omega3 to his system, which helps with dry skin and helps to make their coat shine.
Try feeding them Taste of the Wild dog food it isn't much more than Pro Plan, but it has no corn fillers in it. Me and a friend swapped our Labs over to it, amd our dogs have never looked better. I was feeding Loyal's performance and he was feeding his Pro Plan.
A thirty pound bag runs around $42 which aint much different than PP. A bag last me about a month thats feeding a twelve year old border collie and an nineteen month old BLM. I also recommend 4health performance sold by Tractor Supply its about $35 for thirty five lbs.

Dan
Veteran

Postby franny131 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:50 pm

A couple of fish oil capsules in the food, or some good safflower oil.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Drakeshead
Duck South Addict

Postby Drakeshead » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:53 pm

PetsMart $39.99 for Eukanuba 30/20 40 pound bag and also has crystals that help to keep your dogs teeth clean.

This all still comes down to what you prefer to feed. If your dog is doing well with the food he/she is currently feeding, then just add some fishoil/oil to his/her food.
Last edited by Drakeshead on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
double_D
Regular

Postby double_D » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:18 pm

+1 on Taste of The Wild
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:29 am

You can get a huge bottle of fish oil gel caps at Walmart for a few bucks. I give my dog one or two a day and she thinks its a treat. The fish oil is high in omega 3 fatty acids. Vets call them derm caps. The caps are no mess and no hassle. I started giving them to my dog (to help with itchy skin) after it was recommended by my vet who is my wife.
Trykon
Veteran

Postby Trykon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:32 am

I give all my dogs fish oil in their food. It's cheap and makes their coats shine. It's also good for their hearts. You can pick up a bottle at any pharmacy.
GRENADA MAFIA
GRHRCH UH Kennington's Max MH
HR Kennington's Is That All Ya Got

www.maximumpotentialretrievers.com
cdwyer
Duck South Addict

Postby cdwyer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:09 am

Do a search on RTF for Fish Oil supplements, Dr. Ed Aycock did a great breakdown of which over the counter supplements are the best. They are all not created equal. He did a list of all brands, I get mine at Wlalgreens and it was one on the list.
HRCH Circle J's Honey May MH
HRCH Berger Lake Rowdy SH
GRHRCH UH Gammon's Third Times A Charm MH QAA
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:34 am

I switched to this brand for my puppy, and will use the adult formula when she gets older. No meat by-product crap or corn fillers that is in even the high end mainstream brands. Has salmon oil for her coat, joints, and heart. In just a week of feeding her this her coat looks even better. I bought it at Hollywood Feed in Memphis, but it might be sold at other big pet retailers.

Fromm Gold Holistic Large Breed Dry Dog Food

http://www.heartypet.com/p-1534-fromm-gold-large-breed-adult-dog-food.aspx?utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=072705115303
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
music_man
Veteran

Postby music_man » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks for the replies/advice, however I tried the fish oil thing for 3 months. Still no results! Again, the vet said it's nothing to worry about, but I like a black lab to be "slick" shiny! Just my preference! I guess I need to quit worrying about it!
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:34 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”