Canon vs Tamron lense

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
South Woods
Veteran

Canon vs Tamron lense

Postby South Woods » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:40 pm

The wife wants a bigger lense for camera. I know nothing about her camera or lenses, but I see a decent price difference between the Canon and Tamron. Is there a performance gap also, or at least to justify the price difference. She mainly takes pictures of our kids. Thoughts??
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Re: Canon vs Tamron lense

Postby landscaper » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:40 am

I hesitate to call it a "knock off" but for the lack of a better word that is basically what you get when you stray from the Canon lenses. Sigma, a Canon knock off, makes some good lenses, but will tell you themselves that you run about a 50/50 chance of getting a lemon. Tamron also puts out some good lenses, but they are basically a Sigma knock off...knock off of a knock off. That being said, for day-to-day snap shots I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Sigma, and I would be inclined to consider a Tamron as well because you will likely get a lens that will fit your needs, and if it craps out on you you can probably buy another one and still have about the same money in it as a more expensive lens.

You can also check here http://www.lensrentals.com periodically for quality used lenses for sale. That's where I've bought a couple good Canon lenses.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:26 pm

Also, rent some lenses before you invest in a high dollar lens. You get to try several for not much money, and can make a better decision long term.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
bullsprig
Veteran

Postby bullsprig » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:33 am

i put the tamron 18-270 on my wife canon and on my mothers as well. takes great pictures. i have had zero trouble. i have 2 L series lenses and i enjoy shooting the tamron for "everyday" shots.
why worry when you can panic!
MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:58 pm

If you are just shooting your kids for the fun of it, an off-brand lens will be fine. But dont buy their cheap line.

Almost every lens manufacturer makes a cheap version, and a better quality. If the lens sells for $150 -- i would probably stay away from it.

I have several Tokina lenses from their pro series, and they are a tank. I have used my 300mm 2.8 at Jr's football games, and at NASCAR races, and the quality has been excellent. Do a search on e-bay for "Tokina Pro"...

If you are going larger than 300mm, then stick with the name brand. Just go to the bank and get a loan first.
Sometimes you just have to close your eyes, count to ten, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you wouldn't look good in prison stripes... and just smile at that dumbass and walk away.
GordonGekko
Duck South Addict

Postby GordonGekko » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:06 pm

Do your research, I have a Tamrom 28-75 f2.8 that is a cracker jack little lens, will definitely hang pretty close with the Canon L version for about half the price...but for big lenses I would try to stay away from third party lenses if I could afford it. I have owned a few sigma's and they have the highest failure rate of any lens (Tamron and Tokina are much better if my memory serves me). I have a little Canon 70-300 IS that I'm thinking about selling if you're interested. It isn't an "L" lens but it will take a might fine shot, I think gator uses one, or he used to at least.
"In God we trust, all others pay cash."

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Press Alt+F4 to ignore my posts
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:56 am

"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:47 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:33 am

All three of my shots in this month's contest were taken with the 70-300. Great lens.
GordonGekko
Duck South Addict

Postby GordonGekko » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:10 pm

GordonGekko
Duck South Addict

Postby GordonGekko » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:22 am

Okay, no replies so I will be listing this lens in the classifieds over the weekend. I think my prices were a tad high, so I will go for $325 w/o the lens cap and $350 with. Prices are to your doorstep insured, standard ground shipping.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”