Puppy Play Retrieves

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bookum1

Puppy Play Retrieves

Postby bookum1 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:55 pm

I have a 12 week old Chocolate and I have been doing a few play retrieves in the morning and then again in the evening. I have been told not to over-do it. She will retreive almost anything I throw, but there is one toy that she goes bonkers over and tears after it to retrieve. I have a paint roller to substitute for a dummy that I have been using and she doesn't get very excited about it, but she will retrieve it. I am a novice at this, so I appologize in advance, but what is the typical progression of a dogs drive to retreive. I see most trained reitrievers and they run like a bat out of hell to retrieve. I know all dogs are different and this one has definately come from a good bloodline and shows a definate willingness.
Brock1
Regular

Re: Puppy Play Retrieves

Postby Brock1 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:21 pm

I honestly couldn't tell you what type "bumper" your throwing for her is bad or not. I can tell you however that those dogs you see running like "a bat out of he'll" enjoy doing what they're doing. Try and make it fun for her. They make smaller bumpers for puppies that you could try, but may be keyed for maybe your paint roller. Try and tease her with the bumper and keep it up. Her being 3 months old, I wouldn't go for more than 20 min. Keep her happy and go with it
Karen Klotthor
Veteran

Postby Karen Klotthor » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:25 pm

Try tieing duck wings to the bumper also to introduce feathers.
bookum1

Postby bookum1 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:08 am

Like I said I am new at this. I have discovered that the more excited I get in teasing her with the item the more drive she has to retreive it. Looks like she has a great drive... I just have to get it out of her.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”