Beaver Creek Outfitters (Lewin Ranch) Hay Springs, NE

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Poloski
Regular

Beaver Creek Outfitters (Lewin Ranch) Hay Springs, NE

Postby Poloski » Wed May 18, 2011 1:43 pm

I am posting this in hopes of keeping anybody from having to go through the misrepresentation that me and a few friends went through during a recent merriam turkey hunt at this place. It is called Beaver Creek Outfitters but is actually ran under "Lewin Ranch" by John and Carol Lewin of Hay Springs, Nebraska. They advertise on their website and in the form they mail you after you book a hunt for "turkey hunting on 8000+ privately owned acres". We arrived at the ranch and John drove us around the ranch and showed us the property that we would be hunting. It is claimed to be a "semi-guided" hunt but we were not even shown the north or south property lines just the east and west. Also, when asked where the birds normally roost and where do they travel during the day his response was that he had no idea he had never hunted a turkey in his life. Unfortunately, it took us til the last day of the hunt to discover the misrepresentation that we were hunting 8000+ acres. We all felt like the block was small but we had no maps showing us the property lines to judge by. During the last dinner John slipped up and made mention to the block we were hunting being 3000 acres. When confronted about it his response was, "I didn't guarantee you anything. I didn't tell you how many acres you would hunting". I provided John and Carol with the handout that was mailed to us that specifically states "turkey hunting on 8000+ privately owned acres". They showed no remorse and when told them we felt entitled to some of our money back, they refused. As a matter of fact, Carol turned to John during this and said, "had we not slipped up at dinner last night and told them this was 3000 acres they never would have known". Also, the website and handout state that there will be 3 home cooked meals per day. There were 2 home cooked meals per day. One day me and another guy were hunting on top of a hill in the middle of the property and John drove up and cranked a generator at the windmill to run all day, knowing we were hunting right there. On top of all that we arrived on the 23rd day of the season and there had been 22 birds killed...on 3000 acres. Which explains why they were extremely call shy and 3 of the 4 hunters did not get a chance to shoot a bird. I hate that we had to be the ones to discover this at our expense, but please be aware of this operation. Here is the website http://beavercreekoutfitters-nebraska.com/
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Re: Beaver Creek Outfitters (Lewin Ranch) Hay Springs, NE

Postby LawDawg » Wed May 18, 2011 2:16 pm

is that the hunt you were looking for people to go with you on? I hate that happened to you man.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
Poloski
Regular

Postby Poloski » Wed May 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Yeah be thankful you did not go. It was irritating
The Waterfowler
Veteran

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed May 18, 2011 9:19 pm

Always ask for references from both successful and unsuccessful hunters and you will know before you go. I hate seeing people get taken advantage of like that as it give legit outfitters a bad name sometimes. Sounds like a nightmare.
Helping ducks have a bad day since 1961.

http://www.getducks.com
www.thewaterfowlerjournal.com
We hunt the World!
billjohnson
Veteran

Postby billjohnson » Tue May 24, 2011 6:56 am

Thanks for posting this. This is exactly what need to happen when an outfitter/guide does you like this. I hope the word gets around to everybody.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”