North Mississippi folks

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jbs38654
Veteran

North Mississippi folks

Postby jbs38654 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:46 pm

Tie down the hatches because this is what I was told about this afternoon/ tonight's weather

SPC (Storm Prediction Center at NOAA) has designated Memphis and NW MS as high risk areas for potential severe tornadoes, hail, and winds. High potential for violent, discrete tornadoes, or possibly a very destructive bow echo with isolated tornadoes and very high winds.  It hasn't been determined by the SPC how the storms will form, but either of those scenarios are very dangerous for those areas.   Everyone in NW MS around the Hernando, Olive Branch, and Southaven areas are included in this high risk area.

The white shaded areas have a TORCON index (Tornado Conditions) of 9/10. This is one of the highest TORCON index they've ever predicted. Last year’s Yazoo City tornado system was a 7/10 TORCON. Some of the red shaded areas are on the 7/10 TORCON. Looks like it'll get pretty nasty later on today folks. Good luck to us all.

Hope everything goes well for all and be safe
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Re: North Mississippi folks

Postby deltadukman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:03 pm

I believe everything thats been said..........

BUT

I think they need to do away with all the dramatics such as this TORCON Index....hype is all it is....I love watching the Weather Channel...just like History and Discovery channels....but I am using this as a tool on a day to day basis.....i can go without the gay-azz flashy theatrics and fancy names to call stuff....next week with the rivers rising, FLOCON index....all about the show and ratings....

Rant over.....but I still the the TORCON thing is gay
farmweather
Regular

Postby farmweather » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:11 pm

TORCON is an index, there are very many indices for severe weather that the general public isn't aware of. These indices are built on numerous parameters, so it is hard to compare one day to the next without understanding how the index is built. Nonetheless, this is a day conducive to Severe Weather, I am located in Indianola, MS right now waiting on storms.
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9

www.DeltaFarmWeather.com
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:20 pm

I've personally witnessed the death and destruction of 34 tornadoes, over the years....so, let 'em throw all the theatrics and hype they want to, if it'll save the life of even one person.
If Dr. Forbes on the Weather Channel talks, I listen!!!
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Farmweather, just out of curiosity, why are you weather guys in I'nola???....thought the worst was to hit NW MS....just wondering.
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:51 pm

A week ago Friday, my son and I were headed to Philadelphia for a turkey hunt and quickly encountered multiple thunderstorms, hail, sirens, tornado warnings, etc. As a word of advice, if you are traveling and are passed by three different "Storm-chaser" vehicles, well, you're probably headed in the wrong direction......... 8)
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
farmweather
Regular

Postby farmweather » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:55 pm

Dukluk,

Time constraints. If I had my rathers I would be more north or either in Arkansas.
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9

www.DeltaFarmWeather.com
PWS
Veteran

Postby PWS » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:18 pm

[quote][/quote]A week ago Friday, my son and I were headed to Philadelphia for a turkey hunt and quickly encountered multiple thunderstorms, hail, sirens, tornado warnings, etc. As a word of advice, if you are traveling and are passed by three different "Storm-chaser" vehicles, well, you're probably headed in the wrong direction.........

In the Army we refer to that as a Key Indicator
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:53 pm

Last edited by duckter on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks J. Watching it live now at work to let wife know.
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:23 pm

You guys allright up there.
campcreekfarm
Regular

Postby campcreekfarm » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:31 pm

I think I'm a going to put in a storm shelter :shock: .
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:33 pm

We're good in Greenbrook so far. My parent's power has been out all day.
Josh Lantrip
Beaudog1
Veteran

Postby Beaudog1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Sirens going off here. Hope it pushes north . . . (no offense to anyone north of Oxford).
H20 Fowl
Duck South Addict

Postby H20 Fowl » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:42 pm

This pic was taken bout 15 miles from my house

Return to “General Discussion Forum”