How many bands?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
crackhead
Duck South Addict

How many bands?

Postby crackhead » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:42 am

When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
chopper30
Duck South Addict

Postby chopper30 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:46 am

JRC
Regular

Postby JRC » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:49 am

I_love_ducks

Postby I_love_ducks » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:04 am

roverduk

Postby roverduk » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:06 am

Good ol Rocky Top!!!
dukbum
Duck South Addict

Postby dukbum » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:25 am

vicksburg
Duck South Addict

Postby vicksburg » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:24 am

I've hunted for 10 years and killed 5 bands. 3 greenheads, 1 suzie, and 1 drake woody. The woody was from manitoba... thought that was pretty cool. Mallards were from Ontario(2), Saskachewan, and Pennsylvania.
>>>>--------------------------------->

Quinn
webfoot
Duck South Addict

Postby webfoot » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:40 am

Today I received my certificate from the mallard drake I killed in Bolivar County on 01/16/2004.

Banded: 08/16/1993
Location: Mills Lake; Northwest Territories, along the McKenzie River. In the Boreal Forrest Region.
Water Conditions in 1993: Drought in the Prairie Potholes
Age of Bird when Banded: Hatched in 1992 or Earlier.
Est. Age of Bird when Killed: 10.5 years.

Two years ago I killed a mallard with a Jack Miner band, it was banded in 1995. I have considered myself lucky the past four years; six bands.
Last edited by webfoot on Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We face the question whether a still higher standard of living is worth its costs in things natural, wild, and free." - Aldo Leopold
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:40 pm

I have a few. I have one neck banded speck with a leg band, one neck banded eaglehead with double leg bands, three banded specks, 15 banded snows, blues, and ross (the majority of these came from the year they spray painted some of the snows wings orange to help track them from the ground, that worked real well :lol: . Then have a few ducks, three greenheads, two wood ducks and one blue wing teal. That is in 23 years of hunting. Lately haven't killed squat with a band, in fact our whole group that we hunt with hasn't killed a band since my bwt last year. Oh well bands are fun, but I just like to watch them work bands or no bands. However the one thing I would like to see on day would be a Jack Miner band, have only heard of them never seen one. Neatest thing I have seen over the years was a buddy killed a radio banded pintail about ten years ago when LSU was studying them and when we got back to the camp the LSU guys were waiting on the radiocollar, too bad we were gonna send it to the taxidermist radiotracker and all.
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:18 pm

cool story about the radio colar, I killed a Jack Miner band this year. twenty years of duck hunting ive killed fourteen bands. Its what make keep going.
When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:31 pm

hunting with Jr. Broker (as always) two years ago in flooded timber - only about ankle deep. the ongoing joke -- he walks out into the decoys, for whatever reason a boy does those things -- and the ducks usually come in. This time was no exception.

about 10pm. no ducks all day. Jr. Broker had started a slow stalk to the other side of our very small hole in the timber, trying to kill a squirrel. i was back in the trees getting rid of the morning's coffee when I heard wings and looked up at two mallards landing in our decoys. Jr. was hunkered down in the decoys, but no where near my firing line. i didnt understand why he wasnt shooting. i grabbed the browning and took out the greenhead. i heard allot of racket, and Jr. jumped up and killed the other mallard -- and then started screaming at me, giving me down the road.

seems that while i was going through the long proces of getting off the waders and getting some relief, Jr. was squated as low as possible in the water, watching a couple hundred mallards work our decoys (the most he had ever seen at one time). they all cupped and crashed the hole, but I only saw the first two. he was going to let them all land, and then blast away. Yeah, I messed him up....

he went to pick up my greenhead, and it was banded. :shock: that was like salt in the wound. not only did i mess up his slaughter by shooting early, but the one i killed was banded. have not lived that one down yet....
Sometimes you just have to close your eyes, count to ten, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you wouldn't look good in prison stripes... and just smile at that dumbass and walk away.
chopper30
Duck South Addict

Postby chopper30 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:19 pm

dukbum
Duck South Addict

Postby dukbum » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:22 pm

Goose
Veteran

How many Bands?

Postby Goose » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:01 pm

Hey MSB, that was a great story about Jr. Broker. Isn't it great to have stories like that that you will never live down. Y'all will get to laugh at that story over & over again as the years go by.

I too have one that I'll never live down....& I love it. Several years back, I took two good buddies (old college roommates of mine) duck hunting. We were having a pretty good day, and were lined up from east to west with me on the western end. A single greenhead worked in & I called the shot as he was passing in front of the three of us fron east to west. Roommate # 1 on the east end opened up first & cleanly missed. Roommate # 2 opened up in the middle & also cleanly missed. I waited until both guns were empty & then dropped the greenhead with one shot (a long one at that)! You guessed it.....he was banded.

That happened maybe 15 years ago, and we got a good laugh out of it again back in January '04 as the 3 of us once again shared a duck blind. That's what makes this sport so cool!! By the way, they still can't shoot worth a flip !!
CL
Regular

Postby CL » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:31 pm

21 years duck hunting (1982- present)

7 bands from 1996 to 2000, none since. Matter of fact, not too many ducks since then period.

All mallards, only one hen.

5 of 7 were AVISE band

1 Laurel, MD band, and

the last one in December 2000, A Jack Miner band harvested in Morehouse Parish, LA in a rice field.

Banded or not I still love it!

CL

Return to “General Discussion Forum”