Ask DS: inground pool

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Drake2
Veteran

Ask DS: inground pool

Postby Drake2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:16 am

Currently getting estimates on putting an inground pool in. Anyone have one that can give some things to consider? Gunite, fiberglass, or liner? About how much did you spend and was it worth it?
jdaves
Veteran

Re: Ask DS: inground pool

Postby jdaves » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:31 pm

My first advice would be not to do it all together. If the wife would let me I would fill mine in. But....... If you're going to do it be sure to go with a saltwater system. It'll be MUCH easier and cheaper to maintain.
fieldt76
Veteran

Postby fieldt76 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:48 pm

Yeah, the saltwater systems are nice. Saves you from having all that chlorine in the water and the water is not salty like the ocean, just slightly.
Drake2
Veteran

Postby Drake2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:08 pm

jdaves
Veteran

Postby jdaves » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:26 pm

pic-n-cut
Veteran

Postby pic-n-cut » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:04 pm

I have had two pools. Make sure you get the following: saltwater system, drain install to keep pool level the same, automatic fill system to also keep the pool full, a Polaris to keep pool clean, a timer to run the pool pump and Polaris. Both of my pools where liner pools.
OOOOooooooooooo--------#hit
Gene
Regular

Postby Gene » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:15 am

We built a gunite pool at my home we recently sold. Had a hot tub on one end with waterfall into pool. polaris, salt water, water leveler. With the newer pools upkeep is not bad. Add a bag or two of salt as needed maybe once a month. empty skimmers and polaris bag, backwash sand filter and that is about it. Run system on timers too. Most weeks no more than 10 to 15 minutes upkeep. We used the hot tub more often than the pool. We enjoyed it. What adds to the cost is if you use expensive decking and landscaping. We had a bunch of trees to cut down too that added to the cost. Get you two to or three proposals and see some of the pools they built. Check out the company good and you'll be pleased. Pool is much easier if you don't have many trees around dropping leaves or straw.

Gene
brandon327
Veteran

Postby brandon327 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:26 am

A few minutes a day will go along way.
woundedduck
Duck South Addict

Postby woundedduck » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:52 pm

call mike cavanaugh with blue haven pools. he can help you out in any way that you may need. great guy. 601-720-2153. tell him burwell sent you.
Drake2
Veteran

Postby Drake2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:49 pm

QUACKERS
Duck South Addict

Postby QUACKERS » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Tommy Draughn with CPS did the one at my old house, Gunite, tanning ledge, beer stools in shallow, water fall , saltwater timers , and a polaris very simple upkeep
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.
fieldt76
Veteran

Postby fieldt76 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:33 pm

kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:38 am

Things to consider:

1) How many trees you have in the area? The bag on a Polaris and the skimmer can fill up in a days time. And it takes a litle more than 5 minutes to empty these unlike some have suggested.

2) Do you plan on covering the pool in the winter? You will have to winterize the pool. This usually involves adding chemicals and draining pumps and other equipment. Covering and uncovering are a big hassle. You have to keep rain water pumped off the cover and water bags full of water (dogs love to chew on water bags). When you take the cover off you have to clean it and the water bags. Count on buying a cover every few years and water bags every year. If you don't cover it, you will need to run the pump and maintain year round.

3) How big of a pool do you want? Bigger=more up keep time and $$. Big pools are nice, but the cost of chemicals is higher (check with pro on effectiveness of salt system on larger pools), cost of keeping water in it (alot of water evaporates in the summer and a bunch of kids can splash alot out), bigger pumps and running pumps longer for higher water capacity means higher electric bill. So consider all these things and others when selecting a size.

4) Equipment up keep: Replacement of Polaris every 3 to 5 years $1k(more is new booster pump is requires) Changing filter sand every 2-3 years, yearly plumbing fixes on pump lines, yearly replacement of gaskets and misc. pump parts, yearly replacement of jets, baskets, polaris filter, polaris hose, etc. You can count on repairs need to be made yearly. Not all of these every year, but there will probably be a few things a year. If you go with a liner pool, the liner will have to be replaced periodically.

5) Consider the fact that if you get tired of the cost, time, appearance, etc. it will cost alot of money to get rid of it. Also, pools do not necessarily increase the value of your home. In the eyes of some it decreases the value. It will increase your home owners insurance.

6) Do you have young kids or pets that are a concern around the pool?

I am not saying you should not get a pool. I just think that these are all good things to consider when making that decision. Good Luck!
farmweather
Regular

Postby farmweather » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Pools are labor intensive and cost a good bit to keep running. The Saltwater system is the way to go. Every type has its pitfalls: Concrete can crack and vinyl can tear. My family has a Concrete pool that has been repaired relatively cheaply over the years. Problem is draining and refilling the thing as well as repainting it periodically.

Hope that helped.
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9

www.DeltaFarmWeather.com
Gunslinger
Veteran

Postby Gunslinger » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:01 pm

Money pits and labor intensive - least mine is. Avoid liners - I've replaced two and patched the current one in only 5 years. Maintainance chemicals/chlorine is expensive. I'm with the first responder - I'd fill mine in with dirt if it was soley up to me. Absolutely no trees anywhere near the pool.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”