Juke Joint Fest

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
fieldt76
Veteran

Juke Joint Fest

Postby fieldt76 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:04 pm

Anyone ever been to the Juke Joint Festival in Clarksdale? Seems like it might be a pretty good time.
quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

Re: Juke Joint Fest

Postby quack_a_tack » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:08 pm

I think it has gone dark but cant confirm that.
Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
quackheadbp

Postby quackheadbp » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:50 pm

fieldt76
Veteran

Postby fieldt76 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:59 pm

....damn
TODO
Duck South Addict

Postby TODO » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:02 am

I went in 08 and 09 it was a good time. There are a lot of strange folks there, from all over the world, but everybody was having fun
farmweather
Regular

Postby farmweather » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:15 am

I'm from Tutwiler, near Clarksdale. Juke Joint is a lot of fun. Great event to bring your family to. Lots of culture and good music, some interesting folks for sure.

My Mom has a business making mosaics (GotSmashed) and will have a booth there. 5k and 8k races that morning too if you like to run. http://www.jukejointfestival.com/
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9

www.DeltaFarmWeather.com
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:25 am

I've been a few times. I've always enjoyed it. Folks from all over come to the event so you can meet some interesting folks for sure. Its worth the drive if your thinking about it. You never know until you try it.

The music is great because its not your "main stream" music we hear every day on the radio. Its folks playing the blues and blue-grass and many hybrids of both. I'll be there this year as well.

FW, I'll check out the booth..
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:14 am

While hanging out with ninjas, foreigners, and freaks is not my idea of fun, the JJF is becoming a pretty big event. I do not take part in going to the juke joints at night. It is just a matter of time before something bad goes wrong. White people hanging out at night in parts of town I don't go into during the day is not wise. These thugs are predators and will take advantage of the innocence of strangers.

That being said, THE DAY is a great time for the family. Lots of kids events, booths, eats, etc. Very safe during the day and a lot of fun. If I enjoy it, almost all of you will.

You can still enjoy some of the blues events at night and be safe, just choose wisely. Feel free to pm me if any of you have questions.
There will be a day....
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:55 am

I agree with Tombstone. I've been to at least 4 JJF and have had a great time at all. However, do not be pursuaded to "cross the tracks", literally. If you are going to enjoy the after dark festivities, I would personally recommend staying around Ground Zero, Delta Amusement and Cat Head. It is only a matter of time before one those that go to Red's Lounge and the like end up robbed or dead. Hopson is also a safe place to go at night but you will have to drive (it is just south of town on the west side of 49 right next to the Shack Up Inn).

You will literally meet individuals from all over the US and world. Of course, politically speaking, most if not all, will be on the left side of the political spectrum, but beer seems to break down walls. You cannot go with a Grenada Lake Thunder on the Water redneck mentality. Go with an open mind, enjoy people watching, pig races, dog and monkey shows, good crawfish, BBQ, etc.

For those unfamiliar, downtown Clarksdale is essentially blocked off. Food and music and jump machines are all over. At night, you can buy wrist bands that will get you in virtually any bar in town. It's a good time.
farmweather
Regular

Postby farmweather » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:58 am

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9

www.DeltaFarmWeather.com
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:47 am

as I was walking up to the festivities in town on jjf, there were some yankees staring up at the tallest building in town and were noting how it was falling down. Garbage was pilled up in the stair well that lead to the basement and they had the sidewalk blocked off to keep people from getting hit by falling deebris. I heard one of them comment, "this is all just so retro." As I walked by, I laughed and said, "No ma'am, this is all real ghetto"

These people come and think they have quantum leaped back in time. It just blows their mind.
There will be a day....
fieldt76
Veteran

Postby fieldt76 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:05 am

I stayed at the Shack Up last season while we hunted with Talahatchie Hunts and there were foreigners everywhere. Man they eat that "retro" stuff up. They were walking around taking pictures of old beat up cars and oil barrels. They do the same thing a Elvis' birthplace here in Tupelo.
Long Cut
Veteran

Postby Long Cut » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:26 am

I echo the other responses, being a former resident of Clarksdale have fun during the day if you go out at night and venture past the down town area make sure you have a carry and conceal permit and a weapon. I am very serious about the weapon part and if you aint sure if you should be where you are then leave quickly don't follow the crowds to the jukes as stated in previous posts the words white boy and clarksdale juke joint just don't go together. The natives would just as soon cut/shoot/beat you as look at you.
fieldt76
Veteran

Postby fieldt76 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:20 am

Never been fond of places where I have to cut my way in and shoot my way out. I don't like to carry a pistol when I intend on having a few beers, so if I go I'll probably keep it close to ground zero at night.
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:04 pm

there will be music at the stage and along the side walks in front of many stores/shops through the day and night. You can have a nice time, enjoy the blues (if that is your thing) and have plenty to do staying on the north side and staying safe. Like I said, if you have any questions, just pm me.
There will be a day....

Return to “General Discussion Forum”