Number 1 was a special one....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
DUCK-HUNT
Duck South Addict

Number 1 was a special one....

Postby DUCK-HUNT » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:04 pm

Saturday morning started like many other opening days have in the past with Pops, little Bro, and myself setting out in the turkey woods. Today was a little diff though. Everything was a lot more laid back and not a mad dash to get to the "spot". We awoke too late as usual with dad griping about not getting his coffee. We walked to the listening spot from which we heard a bird gobble 2 weekends ago hoping he would be in the same area again. Not too much longer after daybreak, we hear someone else coming in from the south hooting, and yelping on a box call.... not long after we hear them, we hear the turkey sound off... It's weird but we do it everytime we hear one... high fives all the way around, seems like we have already won so to speak getting to hear such a magnificent creature shake the woods. We hustle to a likely spot to work the bird but dont hear another peep. The old "thanks for coming out" courtesy gobble. So we go to walking, and walking.... making the loop all the way back round..... NOTHING!!!! We head back to the camp and cook a little breakfast up and naps are wanted to be had... Little brother is already passed out on the porch

Me and pops are discussing riding to another spot and just go look around.. Well little bro decides he is going too. We pull up to the gate and it is an unbelieveable number of turkey tracks... we make the decision to hunt our way in instead just the normal scouting stroll... Gobbler tracks everywhere. We are pumped for tomorrow!! It is now about 10:00. We make it to the end of the rd which has a pretty decent sized food plot at the end on top of this big hill. I swing around the edge to get a look at the whole plot and BAM there he is with what I thought at the time was 2 hens. I could have snuck to the edge and ended his day right there but puled back and got with dad. Little bro is at the bottome of the hill stripping off all his clother cause he is now hot from carrying the camera and all the gear.. We devise a plan to circle around the far end of the plot. There is an old logging rd that leaves the back of the plot and another ridge just to the east of the rd that heads up to some hardwoods.... I pick the ridge and dad picks the rd... We get setup, I turn around and get the thumbs up from little bro behind the camera. I let out a barely audible series of yelps and the hen in the field yelps back so I get a little louder and she answers. Next thing I know I look up and she is RUNNING WFO down the side of the field.... moment of truth is she gonna come up the ridge or rd..... coming up the ridge and the longbeard is in tow trying his best to run and strut at the same time.... At this point in time I am looking for an opening and my heart is about to come out of my chest cause they are coming and coming FAST.... they go down in a little bottom out of site for a split second and when they pop up the hen is going past me on the left and the jake has passed the longbeard about to pass me.... I am about to have a nervous breakdown... He pops up at about 30 steps full strut running.... (I didnt thnk it was possible).... he is about to get passed me and I have yet to get the go ahead from the cameraman.... SOOOOOO I make the executive decision and let the Super Black eat... had to body shoot him he had gotten too close and I was too shook to try to knock his head off.... 9 3/4" Beard 3/4 and 7/8" spurs

Pretty special hunt since it had been a long time since we where all together when it turned out to a successful one...

And the MONEY SHOT!!

Get em WET!............Their feet that is.
blindretrieve101
Regular

Re: Number 1 was a special one....

Postby blindretrieve101 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:43 pm

Congrats and great story... Wish my dad was able to get out and chase em with me... Raj and I heard a symphony of birds this morning but "scruck" out... Riverduck and I will hopefully have a story to tell Tuesday morning!
Trutone2
Regular

Postby Trutone2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Congrats brother and it sounds like you are hooked! Best of luck from here on out.
DUCK-HUNT
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCK-HUNT » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:18 am

greenheadman1
Veteran

Postby greenheadman1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Nice bird and story!! You better watch those body shots, be done shot that beard slap off!! :D :D
huntersmky
Duck South Addict

Postby huntersmky » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:51 pm

good story. That food looks pretty awesome too, especially after hunting all morning.
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Good read..
Jelly
Duck South Addict

Postby Jelly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:14 pm

brett, what kinda sauce is that with the turkey?

oh yeah, congrats....
Why is my mouth so dry this morning, when I drank so much last night?
no fly zone
Veteran

Postby no fly zone » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:35 pm

that at RAG 's ??
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:46 pm

DUCK-HUNT
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCK-HUNT » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:17 pm

blindretrieve101
Regular

Postby blindretrieve101 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:36 pm

Moose's place is all things turkey...one word-STUPID! Invites don't come easy at that place and I'm greatful I get the chance to hunt the ol Raggio farm in the spring...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”