"The Hunter's Dirty Word"

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
gator
Duck South Sponsor

"The Hunter's Dirty Word"

Postby gator » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 pm

I had an interesting conversation last night, just as I was about to leave work. A young physician knocked on my door to ask me a question regarding some medications. No biggie, as this is my job. As luck would have it, I had "8 Gauge" pulled up, checking some stats, and making sure the blog was in order. CLICK FOR A VERY BIASED OPINION
HRCH Eight Gauge - Gauge (see you on the bridge buddy)
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man - Trapper
coonman
Veteran

Re: "The Hunter's Dirty Word"

Postby coonman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:19 pm

That was an excellent point to an arguement and very well played. I really enjoyed reading that and keep them coming as I look forward to reading what you have to say.
Who ever said winning isn't everything has never really won.
bigsprig
Veteran

Postby bigsprig » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:35 pm

damn doctors...
HRCH Cottonpatch Augustus McCrae MH -Gus
Cottonpatch Gus' Ace of Spades MH -Ace
Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Postby Double R 2 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:51 pm

Good thoughts.
Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.
cajun squealer
Duck South Addict

Postby cajun squealer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Dear Gator,

You're "killing" me. :wink:
Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him.
--Willie
Bamawebfoot
Veteran

Postby Bamawebfoot » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Agreed, I don't harvest anything when I'm hunting, I kill it. To fail to understand that taking a life is part of the function of hunting, is to fail to understand hunting at all.
lipsplitter39654
Duck South Addict

Postby lipsplitter39654 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:08 pm

Justin, keep doing the blog the way you have been as it is a great read every time you add a story. This issue is just like every damn thing else in our society, it has to be politically correct. No one will stand up and say they are a CONSERVATIVE, they are a moderate cause its popular. We cant call killers TERRORISTS they have to be called enemy combatants. We cant call it a war but an oversees contingency. We cant call a guy that believes he will be rewarded with 100 virgins if he straps a bomb on, wears a turbin, prays to allah and blows up a whole town square a MUSLIM EXTREMIST but rather a simple criminal. We cant stand up for the 10 commandments and the US Constitution but its okay for judges to legislate from the bench and create what they think should be the law of the land. It is just a sign of our horrible times. Like Will Primos said on a recent video I watched when he talked about receiving a letter from a viewer complaining about them high fiving and getting so excited about KILLING an animal on film. He explained and I agree that it is no different than a regular duck or deer camp. You get back to the camp build a fire, have a drink and high five and tell stories about the hunt. We live in a society where too many folks try to pretty everything up and make it more palatable. Why not speak the truth. I shot the turkey and killed him and had a blast doing it. Most of us give back to conservation organizations, introduce children and new hunters to the tradition and do our part to protect and conserve the land and the animals, but we still kill the animal. Any way enuff of my rant. Keep up the great blog and posts....
"Life is tough, life is even tougher if you're stupid" John Wayne

"Forgive and forget; but always remember." Jack Miner
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Commercialization required the sterilization of our tradition so that it would appeal to a wider audience. Has damn near ruint it!

crow
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:41 am

kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:46 am

the most offputting pics I've ever showed people had nothing to do with hunting, they were fishing pics oddly enough. When we kill tuna, we bleed them right away. It improves the quality of the meat. the best way to accomplish this is to use the freshly caught tuna's rapidly pumping heart to evacuate all the blood from his system. This is best accomplished by simultaneously slashing his gills (equivalent to our lungs and absolutely loaded with blood). and his tail which is also loaded with rapidly pumping veins. In effect you can drain all of the blood from a 100 lb fish in a minute or so. Well, when you consider how bloody a tuna is (think of the redness of the meat) and the quantity of blood contained in one 40-60 lb fish, you can begin to envision how much blood would be in 3-4 of them caught and bled simultaneously. You can fill the cockpit of a boat 8 ft by 8 ft, with crimson blood 4-5 inches deep. I once massed emailed these to people who had never fished, and got the worst responses imaginable. Having been exposed to this, I had never given it a second thought.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:54 am

I'm to the point where I don't care what anymore. Chances are if I have to call it "harvesting" around someone they are not going to be joining me in the woods any time soon anyway. And just IMO I think saying "I killed 3 ducks this morning" instead of " I harvested 3 ducks this morning" shows more respect to the game.
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
blindretrieve101
Regular

Postby blindretrieve101 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:16 am

When I hunt the animals I "harvest" are merely victims of outdoor medical malpractice.... Remember, hunters don't kill but doctors do!
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Paraphrased: "The word "harvesting" takes away from the initia skill, pursuit, etc for which they were created"

Very well put.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Beaudog1
Veteran

Postby Beaudog1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Great write-up. Really enjoyed it. On a side note, am I the only one who goes half blind when reading Justin's blog? Something about the black background and small white writing makes me see stars (and I'm in my 20's, not an old guy). Anyone else?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”