Report on the "new"Avery decoys

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
tennduckdog
Regular

Report on the "new"Avery decoys

Postby tennduckdog » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:18 pm

I bought two dozen of the new avery life size mallard dekes this season, used them only about five or six times and the paint is already going bad on many of them. Have any of you noticed similar problems with them. I never hunted with avery dekes until this year, but I have heard that they had the same problems with them last year and told their customers that they resolved the problem. I have hunted with some cheep flambeaus for years and their paint has stood up better over the course of five years than the averys have in five hunts. I cleaned them up this afternoon so to store them until next season and noticed that the heads were missing quite a bit of paint. I know that they are inexpensive, but when a company claims to have resolved the issue and they havn't it gets under my skin. Just curious if any other avery users were having problems with the paint.
Bryan
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:20 pm

Contact Avery and they should replace your dekes. They made a statement a couple of months ago about the bad dekes that got out of the factory and their plans to replace them.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:43 pm

Like GH22 :shock: said....call Avery. They will send you UPS shipping labels to return the decoys at their expense. UPS will recieve a pick-up tag and come get'em.....so have your decoys boxed-up and ready to go.

I got BW Teal replacements in one week.
Scott Moates
Regular

Postby Scott Moates » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:38 pm

Bryan,

I work for Avery and I am sorry that you have had some problems with our decoys and I would be very inerested to see these decoys. Is there anyway you can post a picture to show how much paint is coming off and where?
I used the Life-Size decoys this year and had no problems with the paint and used them more than five times. We did have some Hot-Buys that had some paint problems and we have made good on these decoys.
If you have not already contacted the office, please PM me or post the picture and I will help you out with this.

Thanks,

Scott Moates
Territory Manager
Avery Outdoors.
QUACKERS
Duck South Addict

Postby QUACKERS » Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:16 pm

I HAVE ABOUT 1 DOZEN OUT OF 6 DOZEN HOT BUYS THAT THE PAINT CAME OFF OF, SOME THE HEAD OTHERS WHOLE BODY I WILL SEND MINE BACK ALSO.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:57 pm

So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
quack fiend
Veteran

Postby quack fiend » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:25 am

i tried repainting mine and then sprayed with poly, they still peeled-will be sendin' 'em back...
you did put in the plug, right?
skuna
Duck South Addict

Postby skuna » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:12 am

I sent Avery an e-mail explaining that I bought 12 dozen hot buys and paint is coming off of all of them after only useing them a few times. I did not even get a reply. Maybe I sent it to the wrong person or maybe they are tired of hereing that the decoys suck. I have found some of thier goose decoys on sale twice but bought flambeus instead. They got me once and I won't give them a chance to get me again.
jebster
Veteran

Postby jebster » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:18 am

While we are on the subject of Avery and decoys, I had another Avery problem. About 3 years ago I switched over from the "Tanglefree" brand of decoy line and went with Avery's version due to Avery's new product and the crimps that made their line easier to attach to the decoys. However, when I picked up all our decoys from our 5 fields two weeks ago, I had many, many of the Avery tanglefree type decoy lines snap (break) with almost no tension applied. The result was broken lines and lost lead weights. I did not have this problem with decoys I rigged over 7 years ago which were the original "Tanglefree" brand lines.

This leads me to believe that the Avery lines aren't the same as Tanglefree. Perhaps Scott Moates would care to comment on this. Let me say I own a lot of Avery products and like them a lot, including 3 dozen of the new decoys.
skuna
Duck South Addict

Postby skuna » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:26 am

I had the same trouble with the avery line. I then bought the green head gear braided string and it was not any better. I lost over a dozen weights throughout the season due to lines breaking. Next year I will have some heavy nylon string.
Last edited by skuna on Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:32 am

The Greenhead Gear decoy line was the source of much profanity in my duck camps this year. It is too stiff, has a "memory" and keeps kinks where it is wrapped around the keel, and breaks at the crimp no matter how you apply the crimp since it is so brittle. Avoid it like the plauge.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
dukbum
Duck South Addict

Postby dukbum » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:14 am

Scott Moates
Regular

Postby Scott Moates » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:04 am

DuckDeke
Veteran