Just Curious...

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Just Curious...

Postby the doctor » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:26 am

I was wondering if you guys routinely buy new hunting gear? This question was prompted from another post I read about the off season and gear sales.

It dawned on me that I dont purchase much if at all in the terms of gear, excluding shells. How often do you refurbish your waders, wardrobe, decoys, etc.?

I am spending some money to face lift my boat this year, but I dont anticipate much more than that. I got lucky for Christmas and scored a new pair of waders...my others were not worn out, I was just having a terrible time stopping a leak in one of the most inopportune places.

I am not looking for specifics here, just some input. I realize our sport supports millions of dollars in revenue for companies like Avery (only own one of their products, the others suck) Lacrosse (good stuff) etc.

chime in if you feel so inclined

the doc

"no man is an island, but some women are real beaches"
1SHOT
Veteran

Postby 1SHOT » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:35 am

dukbum
Duck South Addict

Postby dukbum » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:49 am

gadwall2
Duck South Addict

Postby gadwall2 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:04 am

mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:48 am

Need a new battery for my spinner as I wore the darn thing out! :shock:
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
Redhead
Duck South Addict

Postby Redhead » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:29 am

Hey Benny you need to send that not so waterproof jacket back to Columbia they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty! 8) You can even up the size and get the latest camo pattern if you so desire!

Columbia! ain't nuttin better man! :D
Shoot em on Three... 1 ... 2... Boom
Ducks be us
Duck South Addict

Postby Ducks be us » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:08 pm

Check out Wally Worlds discount isle. I got a Mossy OaK flashlight for 3.50(reg. 13$). Some Stren 6# mono for 2.00(reg.6.50) 8)
"You get what you put in and people get what they deserve..." Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
RedLeg84
Veteran

Postby RedLeg84 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:34 pm

I try to buy the stuff I need every year. I bought almost everything new this year. Bought new gun, new jacket, new thermals, new fleeces, new everything literally. I buy stuff that catches my eye and always like to buy more of what I already have. I like to have about 3 or 4 pair of waders for different conditions and so I will buy some more of them. Will buy some new dekes this year. May buy a new backup gun, a new jacket, a new spinner :) NAH J/K. (10 is enough right?) j/k I only have one of them things. But I do try to keep up with what is new.
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:10 pm

Man, I got the same ole pair of pants and chamois shirts, the same pair of overalls, the same ole go-to-hell hat ( I went back to it this year as I had used a cap the last two years and they were terrible, so I thought it might be my lucky hat), the same old decoys I've had (some for 20 yrs and they still look good with a little white added every year), the same old facemask, the same blind bag i've had since I won it at as a DU doorprize in 1974...do you remember the DU comoflage that had ducks hidden in it?). I did get two new shotguns two years ago when I turned 50. (but I had shot the same Remingon for 20 yrs. before that) Told the wife I was going middle age crazy and I could either buy new shotguns or a red convertible to chase women in! I have the same Honda 400 that I got in 1996. I have a 1997 Dodge pickup. And, I've been married to the same woman for 30 years.

You can see I don't like a lot of new stuff. Heck, I've got shirts in my hunting closet older than some of you boys. Even my bourbon i aged at least 7 years! :D
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:38 pm

I usually just buy what I need every year ---shells, supplies to fix up shot-up dekes or broken lines, supplies to clean and repair gun, etc. If my critical clothing (jacket, waders, gloves, hats, etc) needs repairing or replacing, then I do so ---but, such is rare. As some of my club members can attest, I have a tendency to hang on to stuff for a long time. I have a Mossberg 835 that I have had since 1991 ---still works great and kills ducks graveyard dead ---no need to change. I did finally replace my Columbia widgeon jacket a couple of years ago(original MO bottomland pattern, which I really liked) with a newer version of the same jacket in new MS Breakup (they no longer had the coat in bottomland) ---the waterproofing wore out and Columbia sent me a new jacket a no cost ----the reason why I love Columbia products --they stand behind what they make. Also, I finally converted to neopreme waders a couple of years ago (converting my old canvas waders into extended knee boots for use when hunting out of a boat) ---man, I did not know what I had been missing --should have made the conversion years ago!! I still wear the same ol caps that I have had for several years --they just seem to get better with age (like me :lol: ). I still use some of the very first set of decoys that I ever bought ----- I like to repair and re-use my old dekes (part of my off-season fun). However, I admit that the new Greenhead Gear decoys look very good and I think I am finally going to toss some of my very old decoys and replace them this off-season with these GHG dekes. And, I have old hunting shirts, bibs, thermals and pants that I have been using for over a decade ---- they still keep me warm and dry. I do replace my socks every couple of years or so --dry feet are imperative.

Thus, I am somewhat of a traditionalist, but not entirely stubborn about it. :wink: Some think I am cheap. I like to think of it as traditional --classic---practical---functional --you get the picture.
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:49 pm

I can vouch for Crow about his clothes and everything else being wore out. I hunted with him on Jan 1 and had to take a picture of his waders. You wouldn't believe the shape they were in. I took a picture of them for proof, because no one would believe me other wise! If only I knew how to post a pic on here!
Scott Baker
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:47 pm

And what about that BeeGee's lunch box he takes to the duck blind??? Cool, huh?

Wingman
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:08 am

SB, Calvin has already sent me a picture of "my" waders! They are impressive!

And Wingman, your wife really didn't want to teach up in Panola, anyway, did she? The BeeGees, sheesh! I was always more of a Partridge Family kinda guy! Did you ever hook up with my cousin up at South Panola?
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

new stuff

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:35 pm

i don't usually buy too much, just try to maintain the stuff i got, although i did but as 1187 supermagnum, and an 870 this past summer. been shooting the same browning light 12 since i was 12 years old. so i decided to refinish it and put it aside, it was given to my dad when he was a teenager, i wish i new how many quail, dove, turkey, and ducks that gun has killed. next year i've got to have a browning auto 10 ga. with the dura touch stock. it is SWEET! besides that expensive stuff. i but one dozen decoys after every season, just to try and get a good collecton and because they are cheap!
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:05 pm

Posting this one for SB.
Here is Crows pair of wadders.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”