Rhino vs. Ranger

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
tdaggett
Veteran

Re: Rhino vs. Ranger

Postby tdaggett » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:23 pm

I have recently made the decision to upgrade to a side by side for next year, and have been shopping. I have Polaris 4 wheelers, and was leaning towards the Ranger. The Rhino, while a helluva machine, is a little tight for my liking as I seem to be growing fatter by the day. Actually stopped by the John Deere dealer this morning, and checked out the Gator Xuv. Smooth ride, plenty of room, available with the bucket seats or a bench, and a very quiet, 3 cyl motor with gobs of torque. Only drawback I could find is the height location of both the belt breather and Air intake, both of which could easily be snorkeled up. The kicker? Spec'd out the way I want, the JD prices about 2K less than the Ranger, or the Rhino. So, what say you all? Anyone else looked at the Deere, or have one?
HR Boudreauxs GroceryGrabbn Gator
Boudreauxs Delta Darlin' Duxie
I'll keep my Bible and my guns, Obama can keep the "CHANGE"
WeBeJeepin
Veteran

Postby WeBeJeepin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:12 pm

My dad and I have two rhinos, an '06 and '07. Both of them have been incredible machines and the only thing we have done is put brakes on the older one. He took one on a big trail (mountain) ride in Utah for a week and he said that Rhinos are the favorite out there by far. All of the Hondas have to get re-jetted to ride in the high altitude. If you plan to get a trade for a new one every year, then I am sure the Polaris would be fine. If you want to have one last for 20 years, get a Yamaha or a Honda. Just my 2 cents.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:12 pm

We hunted out of my buddies rhino this year and that thing is an absolute beast. The only problem we had was when the Pearl River got up water kept getting into the belt housing. We had to drain in 3 times on the way back to the truck, but other than that it is a bad dude.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
Faithful Retrievers
Duck South Addict

Postby Faithful Retrievers » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:38 pm

We never really pushed the gators much, but we cant keep the new one. They have come a long way and alot of testing to get this one out. I would look at running the breathers a little higher. The normal height water in rice was not a problem. We pushed it a little far just to test it this year and didnt have a problem in deep water. I would route the breather to the bottom of the bed just to be sure. I was hesitant but will be ordering one soon. It is a big unit but will handle a load. Its a nice cross between work and recreation. I would atleast test drive one before I made my decision.
The ranger is the way to go in my opinion before the rhino. I have had a 500 and 700 both did all I needed. The power, bench, and bed space wins hands down.
http://www.grizzlyjig.com
"Better to have people think your a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"- Mark Twain
Agua
Veteran

Postby Agua » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:31 am

Knock on wood, but my 06 Rhino really only has had a problem with the transmission linkage working loose, which is a very easy thing to fix. Its a cold natured thing, but it has never failed to start. Regular maintenance is really easy.
duckhunter14
Veteran

Postby duckhunter14 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:02 am

Take a look at the new john deere gator .... they are nothing like the old ones and have a three cylinder automotive engine in them and talk aboput some power ...
A friend will bail you out of jail but a good friend will be sittin next to you saying damn that was fun.
SHANE704
Veteran

Postby SHANE704 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:28 am

any of you guys that are having problems getting water in the belt housing should check out a guy named adam harvey....i believe he is in vicksburg. he scuffs up the primary sheeves in the clutch and so its grips the belt when wet. it wont hold at WOT but itll get you out of a bind. i had it done on my last arctic cat and it didnt cause any abnormal belt wear but it would help you get on dry ground to drain the box instead of the belt just constantly slipping
Duckimpeller
Regular

Postby Duckimpeller » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:05 pm

I have a 08 Ranger XP and it has done anything that I've wanted it to do and then some. I did about 6 months of research on UTVs and the Ranger seemed to be the over all best from everything I read and from everyone I talked to. I've taken it through sub-soiled fields, rice fields, through the woods useing it like a bulldozer and have never had a problem. Also, I've hauled gear in the back stacked to the roof with stuff piled on top of the roof, while hauling 3 guys that are 250+lbs going through some nasty stuff. I also like that the Ranger really doesn't sling alot of mud and once you put a roof, windshield, and a back on the cab you'll never want to ride a 4-wheeler on a cold windy morning again.
huntersmky
Duck South Addict

Postby huntersmky » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Friend of mine is a John Deere salesman in Cleveland and he has owned a ranger, rhino, and the gator the last few years and I believe he still owns a ranger but its for sale. He liked all of them but he said that new gator has a 800+cc motor and is bad to the bone with tons of power and all kinds of accessories to add. He said its nothing like the old gators and he was very impressed. I believe he told me that the price was around 12k for a new one. If i'm not mistaken they have can-am motors in them and can-am has recently moved to the top of the market for ATV's in the mud riding industry.

I would go with the big red because we all know how dependable hondas are but thats just me. Dont' get the camo version, you won't have it six months and it will be tan. I learned the hard way.
HDC
Veteran

Postby HDC » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:04 pm

Easy answer.....Ranger. I duck hunted in rice fields for years with a 500; then, decided to upgrade to an 800 crew. One of my hunting buddies bought my 500. I have hunted out of my crew for two years and love it. The old 500 is still in use at the duck camp and going strong. With the crew, you can take 6 hunters, 6 blind bags, 6 guns, a dog and a couple dozen decoys straight to the pit blind in your rice field. Good luck doing that in a rhino.

With the water, you have to use your head. Rice fields are flat. You should know the depth of the water and how deep you can take your Ranger. We have been in water over two feet without any problem. Belts normally break because folks are running them in High when they should be running in Low. Having had two, I would suggest several options. They are expensive, but worth it. Winch (I have never used one to pull out the Ranger, but it has come in handy pulling out others, sled blinds, ect.), solid front windshield, solid top, solid rear windshield, dome light, and most importantly rear lights that shine down into the bed of the Ranger.
eastland
Regular

Postby eastland » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:25 pm

I have a 2006 Ranger that I bought from my uncle last year and I love it! Only thing I've had to do is put a new battery in it. Has handled rice fields just fine for me in the 2 seasons I've had it.
Delta Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby Delta Duck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:53 am

Simple!

You want to haul you and a buddy and some gear and go just about anywhere a Rhino.

You want to haul you and several buddies and alot of gear and go just about anywhere you get a Ranger.

I've had a 250, 400, 425, and 500 polaris 6x6, all where good machines.

I've had 2 6x6 rangers, the first was used and a piece of $#!+, second was a good machine.

I've had 1 4x4 Ranger 500 it was okay til it caught on fire and burned to the ground in 5 minutes.

I've had 1 660 Rhino good machine for 2 people.

I've got the 800 4 seater Ranger now and do not know how I had it with out it!

The Big Red will not go where the Ranger will in the mud, It's to heavy!
"Ducks on the Brain"
It's always better with a good dog and good friends, Ducks and no Terrorist!
http://www.DeltaDucks.com
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:32 am

ragon
Veteran

Postby ragon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:53 am

i have a ranger 6x6 i bought in 2001, just recently put a battery on it and fuel pump, only problems i have had, used in rice fields, bean fields , and lake bottom, belt will slip if water comes over hood, bawhahaha, a buddy has got one that has had all kind of problems, maybe his was made 5:00 on friday! Rhino to me feels like it is going to roll over when on a incline or turning at speeds!
GRHRCH UH Mallards Bear Trap MH - Bear AKA ( Meathead )

Mallards Daisy Cutter ( Daisy )
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:22 am

Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”