Antelope at 525 and 480 yards and Mule Deer at 200 yards

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mrducks

Antelope at 525 and 480 yards and Mule Deer at 200 yards

Postby mrducks » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Here are David Guimbellot, Nick Nichols and Blake Ward walking up to retrieve a Wyoming Pronghorn killed with one shot at 525 yards with a Dixie Precision .270 WSM in the fall of 2009. The wind was 10mph from the direction of 100 degrees. There were approximately 100 Antelope in the field and they were all bedded down. David and I both independently judged all of the antelope to pick out the biggest one. We both then told each other which one was the biggest and we had both agreed on the same animal. I was Davids spotter. With the 10" grass and a range of 525 yards, all we could see of the antelope was his head, neck and shoulder blades. We made the calculations for windage and bullet drop and since the Antelope was facing away from us, we decided to place the bullet right in between the shoulder blades for the most effective kill shot. I watched the Antelope through binoculars as David squeezed the trigger. Approximately 1 second after the "boom", the Antelopes head went from upright to lying down in the grass. That was the only movement the animal made after the shot was fired. The other 99 Antelope stood up and looked at this one lying in the grass wondering what had just happened. We were congratulating each other on the fine shot and the other Antelope just stood there in disbelief. After retrieving the animal, we found that David's shot resulted in a bullet path traveling from the abdominal cavity into the chest cavity and into the heart and lungs. On this trip 3 shots were fired: Antelope at 525 yards, Antelope at 480 yards and Mule deer at 200 yards.
Blake Ward
Click here to see the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQTIK6z9jnU
Gant
Veteran

Re: Antelope at 525 and 480 yards and Mule Deer at 200 yards

Postby Gant » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:41 pm

Keep the good posts coming. You are starting to make me think about putting my bow down some and try out some of this long range shooting. Did you happen to ever see that really big 10 point near your place that you showed me last year. Great posts and I look forward to working with you and David at the new hospital in Canton.
msbigdawg1234
Duck South Addict

Re: Antelope at 525 and 480 yards and Mule Deer at 200 yards

Postby msbigdawg1234 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:29 am

Nice ....but damnit boys ya need to pick who ya hanging with little better....ole drug pusher gumby......lol...tell my cuz to get a haircut....lol......Congrats cuz
My name is Rick Daughtry.......

Well, I had a lot of money, but to the city went
I met too many good looking girls and that's where my money went
Yeah I know just where it went
No I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”