Pressured Buck???

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Pressured Buck???

Postby missed mallards » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:32 pm

This weekend I saw one of the biggest SOB'es I've ever laid my eye's on. He is my dream buck, and I had him in my scope twice but coudn't take the shot. I jumped the deer, and haven't been able to get the site out of my head yet. That and the picture on his trail camera have ate me up, as not only did he show up, but another of the same caliber (2 both 150+).

My buddy, who owns the land, has informed me to hunt him. He hunts the place every once in a while, but tends to hunt a place that produces bucks of his quality closer to home.

So here's the run down.

The buck has torn up the area. Every willow tree in the area is hacked up. Every cedar/pine, broke. He's got a scrape line that I happened across and I ain't never seen nothing like it. The rut is happening but not in full swing, yet. I've got a stand located 50 yards from the thick chit, and he's staying not far from it (from all the noctornal pic's). From previous years, the bigger deer tend to bed all day, and only move at night. Most 90% of the big deer have been shot on drives, which we will do first of January. My time's limited, and I'm trying to figure out a few things.

1) the deer is over 4 easily one is probably 5.5. I'm wondering if calling via horns, grunts, doe calls, may intice him or just push him further off?
2) w/ the sign, and being I jumped him, do I let him chill for a few days or go post up?

I've never gotten so shaken up by seeing a deer in my life. I'm just wanting him and have horsed around enough this year that I don't want to screw it up.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Re: Pressured Buck???

Postby hillhunter » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:00 pm

I would hunt him as quietly as I could, maybe a grunt call at the most. One thing for sure you can't hit him from the couch. You might try and relocate though, if you can do it without too much disturbance to the area you think he might be in. Deer have a short memory this time of year when the rut hits.
work hard, play hard
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:36 pm

+1
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:48 pm

Where is he an hour before daylight? If you can get in without bumping him, your chances are better at seeing him in the morning in my experiences. Seems a mature buck may mess up and run late getting back to bed up.
Are we gonna get wet?
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:18 am

Good advice so far. Sounds like a fun problem but I bet your nerves are a mess - mine would be. If it can be done without spooking the area, maybe a doe decoy to hold him out of the thick stuff a few minutes later in the morning?
The Captain
Veteran

Postby The Captain » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:49 am

60% of the time, it works every time.
The Land Man
Veteran

Postby The Land Man » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:19 am

Do not hesitate to hit the horns, can, and grunt especially this time of year. Also if possible hunt him in the middle of the day, say 9 to 1 or 10 to 2 if possible. Maybe back off of the thicket and get to where you can see a lot and cover some ground. If all else fails go get in his bedroom before daylight and sit until you can't stand it anymore then sit a few hours longer. Whatever you do just enjoy it and don't get frustrated, after all he is mature but not unkillable.
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:46 pm

If the rut is starting......he'll be up and running around. All his mind is on is a doe. Get some Doe in estrus lure of some type.
Liv2hunt75
Regular

Postby Liv2hunt75 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:06 pm

Make sure that you hunt the correct wind...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”