make my gun shoot farther.

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Re: make my gun shoot farther.

Postby hillhunter » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:44 pm

work hard, play hard
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:46 pm

We need to help the youth of today interested in hunting and fishing more-so than video games, not make fun of them and turn them away from the sport.

They are going to be the ones fighting for it one day, why turn them against it at an early age.

I understand the internet is not a perfect place but I doubt very seriously, Micah and the rest of the folks who make this site possible would condone that sort of behavior towards a kid.

I do happen to know this kid personally too so yea it does piss me off to see it.
dukhunter
Veteran

Postby dukhunter » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:50 pm

kid or no kid, I looked back and didn't see where anyone called him a homo or retard just the normal hard ass answers to a question that would usually bring first responces of TOP WATER or HERE WE GO AGAIN, ........ sound like you got your panties in a bunch........if you know him thats great YOU know your One person and I still don't think anyone went to far just poked a little fun at him..........
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:53 pm

You are obviously not the best at reading...an analogy is something used to make an example which is what I did. I never said anyone called him that I used that analogy to make a point. That point is we need to work with the kids, not run them off. End of story.

I do my part to get kids involved in the sport, it does piss me off seeing this kind of stuff.
dukhunter
Veteran

Postby dukhunter » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:55 pm

before you said he was a kid how would anyone have known????????????? and what was said that was so hard to swallow?.............
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Wonder how many kids get run off here unknowingly? Ever think about that?

There is no good way to know, unless someone points it out like I did. I understand that, but that does not make it right.

The part about me saying, he is a kid should have been a pretty big indicator the smart ass answers could cease but someone kept on and made another jab at him. That is what is uncalled for. You can try to justify it in your mind all you'd like, plain and simple it is wrong.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:44 pm

So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Well, since I now know we're dealing with a true newbie and not just a wannabe troll that ought to know better, let me elaborate on my previous semi-smartelic remark. See if you can find an adult that will help you pattern your gun. Figure out what shell/choke combo works best at certain distances. Find what you're comfortable with and go from there. I'm cheap and don't like to make shots I'm not comfortable with. I compare my shooting to a baseball player with the green light on a 3-0 pitch. I won't pull the trigger unless I know its one I can take out of the park. Work on being consistently accurate before you start worrying about distance.
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:45 pm

Catfisher,
If you ever want a 50,000$ ski boat one day, don't buy one. Just convince friends to buy them. Same with cars, quads, homes, wives, etc. Now what does this have to do with making you shoot farther?

One day I realized all of this CRAP that I had accumulated for hunting was just that-crap. Same for fishing. I consider myself a minimalist, at least with hunting and fishing. I have buddies that have the doo doo paper. They have the crap. Not that anything is wrong with that but why woulda I want to deal with that stuff when they take delight in it? Its a win win situation. Now what does this have to do with a choke tube?

What I'm getting to us being a minimalist is much more rewarding. Screw a choke, no pun intended. Pattern a gun, sure. I wouldn't go overboard. Your best bet is to pay extremely close attention to your setup. How are the birds going to move when they enter your 40 yard perimeter? Where are they coming from? Pay close attention to that and sometimes you'll put yourself in the best position to be on the "x" or up your odds of being close to it. Once you get there the "extreme range" shells and chokes and other crap are not needed. Pay close attention to your comfortable range of shooting. Just because an animal is in your kill perimeter doesn't mean you have to shoot. Don't forget that's a living critter. If you think you'll just wound him then don't shoot. Let him live another day.

Simply put don't lose touch with the fact that you are hunting. Barrels, chokes, shells, blah blah blah, has taken the place of just sitting down and taking a hard look at your situation in order to up your odds of killing birds. Hunting hear is just a supplement to possibly help outdoorsmen/women that are lacking in observational skills.

I've never EVER seen an instance while hunting where someone said, "if I didn't have this choke tube we'd of never killed these birds". If anything the exact opposite. You have no business attempting those shots anyhow.

I want a full overview of what I've just said.. Dammit.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
rciii
Veteran

Postby rciii » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:05 pm

First off, you have a good gun there in your hands. Learn what it is capable of with patterning and loads. Take some time and get to know what you have and what it does. Next, learn what it takes to get the prey closer...taking long shots will only lead to crippling game. work on the skills of setting up and getting the birds to come to you (setup and calling). How long should this take? Well, on learning about the gun, a couple of weekends. Practice, practice, practice. As for getting the game closer, that's gonna take a little longer, for some of us its been all our lives. Its a learnin thang. There is no set equation, no hard rules(other than the law). You learn as you go and hopefully you will learn to love it as much as the people on this forum do. Go out and see what are the limits of the gun you have, get good with that then start working on your skills as a hunter. Its called "huntin" for a reason. Good luck and have fun.
"Soap opera heaven...without all the clues"
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:14 am

i would reccomend useing your Remington Factory Modified chocke with Winchester HV #2's this patterns well out of most all my guns. #'4s actually pattern best. but i get less cripples with #'2s.

on the mechaical end there are several things you can do your self to improve the pattern denisty of your gun. the easiest thing to do is polish your barrel. Do a google search and you will find many ways to do this. you can also have a gun smith to lengthen the forcing cone. although this helps, it really does not make your gun any more lethal than i came from the factory. it does help build your confidence in the gun as well as keep more % of the shot inthe kill zone.

Good luck.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
grant_c
Veteran

Postby grant_c » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:53 am

try setting up a piece of card board and just draw yourself about a football size/shape on it and just go shoot at it in a field, that's how i figure out what my chokes do and with what shot shell, good luck man!
Catfisher
Regular

Postby Catfisher » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:45 am

ok, thanks yall, thanks chevy01234.

My gun barral is about 20" long.

GulfCoast, I have a 12ga. Remington 870 magnum, it came with a mod choke. The shells I have are Remington hypersonic steel, 1700fps, 3", 1 1/8oz., #2.(only thing they had at walmart when I went to get shells).

should I try different shells?

greenheadgrimreaper, i get what your sain. dont get stuff thats useless.

grant_c, good idea.

thanks.
Last edited by Catfisher on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
deltadog
Veteran

Postby deltadog » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:51 am

chevy0123, thanks! We often get on here and try to see who can be the first to come up with the best smart booty remark. We forget back in the day when we started and would have liked a little help. It doesn't matter the age of the kid, it is someone asking for a little help and for whatever reason it may be, he has turned to us for help. I myself have gotten to the point where I PM some of you on here that I know, just to get a straight answer. So thanks for helping the young man out.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”