Best Preaching I've heard in a long while

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Deep Woods
Veteran

Re: Best Preaching I've heard in a long while

Postby Deep Woods » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Biblical assurance of salvation does not flow from a past decision or a prayer, but from the examination of one’s enduring lifestyle in the light of Scripture.
1John 2:4, 1John 1:6, 2 Corinthians 6:14, Job 13:16
Deep Woods
Veteran

Postby Deep Woods » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:17 pm

Biblical assurance of salvation does not flow from a past decision or a prayer, but from the examination of one’s enduring lifestyle in the light of Scripture.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:48 am

i'm not quoting any scriptures here. but i have read the bible.

yall are playing the dumbest game ever. there is someone sitting very close to you right now that is dying and going to hell. and your fussing about some female talking about God. people are dying and church, or church people ain't doing nothing about it.

if CHURCH PEOPLE would be real, and be relevent this world would be a better place.

Forget your influence, (baptist, methodist, or whatever) and study Christs life.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
KWAKHED
Duck South Addict

Postby KWAKHED » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:01 pm

HR Choctaw's Sunset Drake
Mississippi Mallard Mafia
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:56 am

I haven't read most of this thread because reading these "I'm right and you're wrong and you'll never convince me otherwise" debates are like finger nails on a chalk board to me. And, I see virtue in both sides of this debate, so I'm not able to add strong argument for either side. What I do have to say, however is that most of what I have read of this thread sounds like a lot of name calling and finger pointing to me, and I'm absolutely blown away that a video of a precious little girl RECITING a story (right down to the characterized voices) that she probably learned by watching a Christian childrens' DVD or something, has lead to such among a group of intelligent, God loving, Christian men.

That is all.
rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Postby rustypjr » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:37 am

Before I comment let me say i did not read any of the stuff on this thread. This is a comment on the video.

We as a church staff watched that video the other day and all I got to say is wow. I wish that every child knew their bible stories that well. As a student minister that gives me hope that what I am doing is all worth while. I also pray that one day my son or little girl will know their bible as well as that little girl does. It was flat out touching and soul stirring. All i got to say is thank God for parents and teachers that taught that girl.
Rusty Parsons
Deep Woods
Veteran

Postby Deep Woods » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:21 pm

Jonah received a command to preach to Nineveh; but he fled in the opposite direction to escape from the task of proclaiming Yahweh's message to the great heathen city; was arrested by a storm, and at his own request was hurled into the sea, where he was swallowed by a great fish, remaining alive in the belly of the fish for three days. When on his release from the body of the fish the command to go to Nineveh was renewed, Jonah obeyed and announced the overthrow of the wicked city. When the men of Nineveh repented at the preaching of the prophet, God repented of the evil He had threatened to bring upon them.

Now above are the basics of the same story the little girl told in the video….

The message is clearly one of repentance needed and that God will turn from HIS wrath on us if we repent…..and it also shows that the people of today are the "pre-Nineveh Jonah” in the message..they run from God when HE commands them to speak out against the evil and horrid “world” of heathens that surround us in our daily lives….but the "pre-Nineveh Jonah’s” run from the task and will not confront the sin and the influence of the devil in the church, their family, or anywhere else for that matter…people today just like "pre-Nineveh Jonah” are scared of what they willl say, they might get mad, they may not like me, they may not want to hang around with me, they may even kill me!!!!!!

Proverbs 28:23 He that rebuketh a man afterwards shall find more favour than he that flattereth with the tongue.

Proverbs 27:5 Open rebuke is better than secret love.

Open rebuke is better than secret love. He that rebukes others freely, when need requires, is a more valuable friend than he who from fear of offending has not courage to tell them of their faults.

Secret love; love allowed to lie hid in the bosom through false tenderness and fear of giving offence, and not manifesting itself, as it should, in reproving and correcting the faults of a friend or loved one.

“It is good for us to be reproved, and told of our faults, by our friends. If true love in the heart has but zeal and courage enough to show itself in dealing plainly with our friends, and reproving them for what they say and do amiss, this is really better, not only than secret hatred (as in Leviticus 19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.), but than secret love, that love to our neighbours which does not show itself in this good fruit, which compliments them in their sins, to the prejudice of their souls. Faithful are the reproofs of a friend, though for the present they are painful as wounds. It is a sign that our friends are faithful indeed if, in love to our souls, they will not suffer sin upon us, nor let us alone in it. The physician's care is to cure the patient's disease, not to please his palate.” – Matthew Henry

Proverbs 27:6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

Faithful are the wounds; they proceed from an upright, and truly loving, and faithful soul, and really promote the good of the person reproved. The wounds; the sharpest reproofs, which for the present wound his spirit and reputation.

The kisses; all the fair speeches and outward professions of friendship.

Are deceitful; or, are to be deprecated; are perfidious and pernicious, and such things as one may pray to God to be delivered from them.

The skilful and faithful surgeon wounds in order to preserve life, or recover the patient. He pains by cutting. Such is the conduct of the faithful and affectionate reprover; such are the corrections of our heavenly Friend.
But the flatterer and false friend, who cloaks his malice under the language and demeanor of excessive love, only aims to deceive and ruin us.
Expressions of kindness, though excessive, are so agreeable, that most men prefer them to plain dealing: so that the fulsome flatterer is generally caressed as a friend, and the faithful reprover shunned as an enemy; to the unspeakable detriment of mankind.

Why is it when people are commanded to do God’s Will…..they run from it, just as Jonah? …..Because that is what is being taught in the churches of today and people are going to hell because of the lies of the devil.

Are you a true friend to your family and friends?

Are you a "pre-Nineveh Jonah”?
Last edited by Deep Woods on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWAKHED
Duck South Addict

Postby KWAKHED » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:11 pm

News flash, we are ALL(including you DW), worthless sinners, saved by the grace of Jesus. The only reason we are even able to think about entering Heaven is because he paid the debt of all our sins. We are all sinners before God and the only way to him is through his son, who sits at the right hand of the Father. All that said just to say we are all sinners. "So let he without sin cast the first stone."
Deep Woods
Veteran

Postby Deep Woods » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:56 pm

I know what I was before GOD called me into HIS service and I know what HE has cleansed me of and sanctified me of since then...not perfect and never said I was....the insinuation that you make that I am, is of the devils mouth.

Some need to learn the meaning of sanctification, which is part of salvation. It is not just believing there is a GOD and professing to be saved....it is also a standard that we are called to live up to once we are called into service for GOD. Not out of "legalism" or "earning your way" but out of love and reverence for God and His call of service to us.
John 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

Jesus came and died and fulfilled the Mosaic law but He did not free us from God's moral law and the Scriptures clearly tell us that we must adhere to HIS standard included with our faith to make it.

James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

we must adhere to HIS standard = works - moral uprightness, living right, giving up things of the "world", fruits meet for repentance, forsaking your old life, old "worldly" friends, being born again..that means you are brand new..old things past away, SANCTIFIED.

Matthew 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

Fruits; show the reality of your repentance by forsaking your sins and obeying the commands of God. In order that repentance may be shown to be sincere, it must produce good works. There is no repentance whatever unless there is a change of life as the result. The change of life is the proof of the change of heart. True repentance is a change of heart (and consequently of life) from all sin to all holiness.

Greek word for holiness is hagiasmos, hag-ee-as-mos'; properly, purification, i.e. (the state) purity; concretely (by Hebraism) a purifier:--holiness, sanctification.
KWAKHED
Duck South Addict

Postby KWAKHED » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:00 pm

I'm putting you on my prayer list brother.
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:45 pm

The Mosque I go to does not let women in the door.
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Postby rustypjr » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so.
Rusty Parsons
Deep Woods
Veteran

Postby Deep Woods » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Jesus does love us....but just because He loves you does not get you into Heaven and if you think it does you need to go study your Bible and pray.

John 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

Revelation 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

And keepeth my works unto the end. The works that I command and that I require, to the end of his life. The works of righteousness of which Jesus is the author. The most grand conqueror is the man who overcomes sin.

Telling people what they want to hear, instead of the truth, is the mark of the lack of courage for the fear of offending...

The question is Do you love Jesus??..Does your lifestyle, friends, the places you go, etc. show or prove your love for Jesus?...Do you have works, "fruits meet for repentance"?

Some profess to be “believers”….But do you even know what faith is? Do you study God’s Word in depth?

Do you even know what faith is…………
The Greek word for faith as used in New Testament Scriptures like Matthew 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? And also in Matthew 8:26, Matthew 14:31, Matthew 16:8, Luke 12:28 is…..
oligopistos, ol-ig-op'-is-tos meaning; incredulous, i.e. lacking confidence (in Christ):--of little faith.

The Greek word for faith as used in the New Testament Scriptures like Matthew 8:10, 9:2, 9:22, 9:29, 15:28, 17:20, 21:21, 23:23, Mark 2:5, 4:40, 5:34, 10:52, Luke 5:20 and more than 150 other Scriptures is…….
pistis, pis'-tis meaning; persuasion, i.e. credence; moral conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher), especially reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstractly, constancy in such profession; by extension, the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself:--assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity.

Revelation 2:12 And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;
Revelation 2:13 I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
Revelation 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
Revelation 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
Revelation 2:16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

Pergamos: the impure Church.
I. LET US STUDY THE CHURCH ITSELF. We gather four things concerning.
1 . It is directly under the eye of Christ, and responsible to him. This is a feature common to all the Churches. But it is imperative on us ever to keep this fact in the foreground of our thinking about Church life.
2 . It was in a very peculiar situation. Some three days’ journey north of Smyrna, on the banks of the Caicus, in the province of Mysia, was Pergamos situated.
The ruins of it even now attest its greatness in ancient times, when it stood high on the roll of famous cities. It was the abode of royalty; it was the metropolis of heathen divinity. Our Lord looks at it as the place “where Satan’s throne is.” Not all its palaces, temples, and towers, not all the prestige of its worship, could hide its iniquity from our Saviour’s eye. When we are taught to look at the world’s great cities in the light in which Jesus views them, while many are saying, “What a noble city!” we shall say, “Satan’s throne is there.” Not that the beautiful in art, and the costly in material, and the strong in structure, are not reckoned by Christ at their real value; but that where men worship these things for their own sake, where they are used to hide corruption, and where impurity of motive and of life poison all, material beauty is forgotten in the moral badness. “Man looketh on the outward appearance; the Lord looketh on the heart.” We have, however, a further clue to the reason why Pergamos was called “Satan’s throne.” There paganism reigned supreme; impure, sensuous, licentious worship was observed.
The eating of things offered to idols would make it impossible for Christians to enter into the social life of the Pergamenes without a compromise with idolatry; and so fierce was the opposition of the citizens to the Christian faith, that in the early days of the Church, Antipas had to seal his testimony with his blood. Are there not many of our cities of which our Lord would say, “Satan’s throne is there”?

3 . This Church was weakening its power of resistance by tolerating mischief within its pale. (Ver. 14, 15.) Some held the teaching of Balaam, leading to a compromise with idolatrous rites. Others held the teaching of the Nicolaitans; i.e. there were those in the Church who held false doctrine, turning the grace of God into lasciviousness, and who, by a time- serving policy, ingratiated themselves into the tolerance, if not into the good will, of the idolaters, while they did not keep themselves from the lusts of the flesh. In a word, instead of the Church being and giving a protest against the world, the world was creeping into the Church, and corrupting it. The Church grievously lowers its position when it endures sin within its pale, and when it retains within it those who, while nominally holding the Christian faith, do not live the Christian life.
How can a Church give a bold, unflinching, and powerful testimony for Christ against the world if its own hands are not clean, if it is seen catering for the smiles and pandering to the tastes of those who are “of the earth, earthly”?

4 . This looseness in discipline and life was the more disappointing because of its contrast with the past. Time had been when the Church was known for its staunch adhesion to Christ, and for fidelity even unto death (ver.13). Of Antipas we know nothing more than is named here. No historic roll, save this, refers to him. But Christ never forgets. To be remembered by him is fame enough.
But at that time when Antipas was martyred, the Church itself held fast Christ’s Name, and did not deny the faith. So that it is the more saddening to see such a declension. The fact cries aloud to Churches as well as to individuals, “Let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.” No prestige of the past can serve for the future or even for the present. It is comparatively useless for Churches to proclaim a past fidelity unless they can show a present one. Nor is it enough to remain nominally true to Christ’s Name and doctrine, if looseness of morality, or if conformity to the world, finds a place within. If so much of the wooden and earthy is built up into the fabric of the Church, it will have a sore trial by fire. “The time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God.”

II. LET US SEE HOW THE SAVIOUR APPEARS TO THIS CHURCH, AND
WHAT HE SAYS TO IT.

We have observed before that our Lord shows himself to the Churches according to what they are. It is remarkably so here.
1 . How does our Lord here represent himself? (Ver. 12.) As having a sharp, twoedged sword. This indicates:
(1) That our Lord has the supreme right of critically judging, not only the state of the whole Church, but of every member in it. We all stand, even now, before his tribunal.
(2) That there is infinite power of discrimination. There is no confusion. Worthy and unworthy members may, perchance, be mixed up in a common fellowship. Christ never confounds one with another. At every moment the two-bladed sword discriminates between the precious and the vile.
(3) The action is as precise as the discrimination is severe. The sword is “sharp.” Even of earthly judges it is true that “they bear not the sword in vain.” Much more is it true of the Supreme Judge. Let careless ones tremble. “Woe unto them that are at ease in Zion!” No one can be lost in a crowd. No one can poison a Church of Christ with impunity. Hearts awake to righteousness will thank God for this; but it is enough to make careless and inconsistent professors tremble; for if ever the hypocrite attempts to pass with the true Israel of God, down will fall the lightning gleaming sword, and divide infallibly between them!

2 . What does our Lord say?
(1) He calls on the Church to repent.
(a) On the whole Church. Supposing a Church to have evil men within its pale, how can it “repent” of that? There is but one way. If it be wrong to have them, repentance cannot consist in retaining them. They must be “put away” (1 Corinthians 5.). Discipline is an imperative feature in a Church’s life. Without it, any Church imperils its very existence.
(b) On the false ones to repent. The guilt of a hypocrite within the Church is greater than that of the worldly without the Church, because committed under the cloak of religion.
(2) He warns (ver. 16). “I will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.” “Begin at my sanctuary” (Ezekiel 9:6; 1 Peter 4:17).
(3) In spite of difficulty, our Lord expects men to conquer. “To him that overcometh.” Difficult, indeed, it would be. To resist evil anywhere in the world is hard enough. To resist it where Satan’s throne is, is harder still. To conquer it when it is poisoning the Church is the very hardest of all. Yet Christ expects this. The conquest of difficulty is the world’s glory; and shall the Church do otherwise than delight therein? For no forms of evil can be so strong as to overmatch the power with which he will supply us.
(4) For the victor there is a glorious promise (ver. 17).
(a) The “hidden manna.” If the believer will shun the idol feasts, and renounce the luxurious banquets in which the ungodly revel, he shall hereafter feed on richer food, even the “hidden manna.” What is this? Surely the Lord Jesus Christ himself. But does not the Christian feed on him here? Yea, indeed. But so much interferes with the enjoyment. Who can enjoy a feast, however rich, with unalloyed delight, when the songs of revelry and lewdness, and the cries of woe and sin, are sounding in the ears, or while earth’s impurity and corruption are ever before our eyes? Here our enjoyment of spiritual food is mixed with alloy. But there is a feast provided for us out of sight. Whoever reserves himself wholly for Christ’s service here is one of those for whom the hidden feast is reserved.
(b) The “white stone.” Among some, white stones were symbolic of happy days; with others, signs of acquittal; in the Olympic games, white stones with the victor’s name were given to the victor. A white stone was thus often a mark of honour among the heathen. But from none of these heathen customs do we get our conceptions of our Lord’s meaning here. The passage will interpret itself.
This white stone is
(a) a token between the victor and Christ;
(b) a token between him and Christ alone;
(c) a token which it was a privilege and honour to possess;
(d) a token the privilege and honour of which were read in the name inscribed
upon it.
Surely with this data we can, by comparing Scripture with Scripture, easily see what that secret token may be in heaven, between Christ and the believer, which shall certify to him his special privilege and honour. “I will give to him… upon the stone… a new name written, which no one knoweth but he that receiveth it” (Revelation 3:12). The new name is Christ’s own new name — Jesus. No one knows the meaning of this Name but the victor. None but saved ones can possibly read it. They can read it fully when they have overcome. And even then it will require an eternity to understand it; for as the salvation grows from more to more, so will it ever expound the meaning of the great, the infinite Name.
(1) That each member in each Church is distinctly and personally responsible to the Lord Jesus Christ. With him alone our account stands.
(2) Each one stands as it were between these two alternatives — between the twoedged sword of judgment, and the white stone of honour. The one discovers, divides, judges, avenges, pierces; the other is an eternal love token between the Saviour and the saved.
(3) If there has been hitherto any unreality in our confession, or any impurity in heart and life, or any compromise with the world, let us heed the words, “Repent: or else I will fight against thee.” In one hand Christ holds the sword, the sharp edge of which we must feel except we repent. In the other he holds the gem, flashing and gleaming with the brightness and whiteness of the star, and says, “If thou wilt leave thy sins and cleave to me, that sparkling diamond of purest lustre is thine, a love token forever between thee and me.”

But instead people have made themselves a religion that justifies them "in sin"..instead of "leaving their sin"...

Matthew 3:1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
Matthew 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark 1:14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
Mark 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

JESUS' Word is still preaching the same message today!!!!
Not that watered down, feel good, don't make anybody mad, lie of satan message that is being spoken in the worldly church of our day.

If you don’t like the message in GOD’S Word, it just proves your rebellion towards HIM and your sadly fallen state.
But there is hope!! See God’s Word for instructions…look for the words repent, then Holy Spirit, then sanctification.

JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!!!!!
StraightUp
Veteran

Postby StraightUp » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:02 pm

Deep Woods, I see you got rested up and are back with a bucket full. :D :D Hope you and yours had a merry Christmas.
rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Postby rustypjr » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Rusty Parsons

Return to “General Discussion Forum”