Best Preaching I've heard in a long while

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Re: Best Preaching I've heard in a long while

Postby Jeff » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:17 am

I don't get it guys. I think we live in a free country with religous freedom. Deepwoods obviously has spent a great deal of time reading and studying the bible and has his beliefs set in his mind. What is wrong with that? Why "persecute" someone that has his beliefs? Just because they are different than yours? None of you have met him, neither have I but I see no problem in trying to live life how the bible teaches, in fact I think that is likely the best path, but ya'll want to make him out to be a bad guy even though you don't know him at all. Nobody said living that way would be easy, after all we all try to follow a life that will lead us down the narrow road and through the narrow gate right?

Relax guys of all places a religous forum should be peaceful
bigoak
Duck South Addict

Postby bigoak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:35 am

Deep Woods
Veteran

Postby Deep Woods » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:46 am

Some just don't get it......give them the TRUTH of GODS WORD to help them out of the sin that will destroy them and they are pleased and happy to stay in that sin and hate that person for doing so.

Just like the people in the Bible...Jesus came to help them and they hated HIM because they loved their sin more than the FATHER and HIS ways....Noah came to help them with the TRUTH, they hated and mocked him. Jeremiah came with the TRUTH, they hated him. Ezekiel came with the TRUTH, they hated him. Elijah, Micaiah, Elisha, Hanani, Zechariah, Urijah, Stephen all were sent with the TRUTH of GOD to try and turn the people from the evil, wicked ways and lifestyles and all were hated and some even killed............

Jeremiah 6:15 Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore they shall fall among them that fall: at the time that I visit them they shall be cast down, saith the LORD.
Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

Ezekiel 18:24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

2Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Zechariah 1:4 Be ye not as your fathers, unto whom the former prophets have cried, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Turn ye now from your evil ways, and from your evil doings: but they did not hear, nor hearken unto me, saith the LORD.

REPENTANCE - Greek word for repentance is = metanoia, {met-an'-oy-ah}; (subjectively) compunction (for guilt, including reformation); by implication, reversal (of (another's) decision):--repentance.
Compunction as defined by Merriam-Websters= : anxiety arising from awareness of guilt : distress of mind over an anticipated action or result
Penitent : feeling or expressing humble or regretful pain or sorrow for sins or offenses : REPENTANT
Penitence: the quality or state of being penitent : sorrow for sins or faults.

Matthew 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

Bring forth therefore fruits, etc. That is, the proper fruits of reformation, the proper evidence that you are sincere. Do not bring your cunning and dissimulation to this work; carry not your hypocrisy into your professed repentance; but evince your sincerity by forsaking sins, and thus give evidence that this profession not some act of dissimulation.

Fruits. Conduct. See
Matthew 7:16-19 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Meet for repentance, Fit for repentance; appropriate to it--the proper expression of repentance.
Fruits; show the reality of your repentance by forsaking your sins and obeying the commands of God. In order that repentance may be shown to be sincere, it must produce good works.
Bring forth, therefore, fruits meet for repentance. There is no repentance whatever unless there is a change of life as the result. The change of life is the proof of the change of heart.

Many thrust themselves into the crowd of GODS church by their own profession or on the lies of the devil, but this is not enough, true repentance is not a barren thing; neither are your leaves of external profession a sufficient indication of it, you must bring forth the fruits of holiness, fruits that may answer the nature of true repentance. The proper products of habits are called their fruits; thus we read of the fruit of sin, and the fruit of righteousness. Fruits meet (answerable to amendment of life) for repentance are works that are the proper product of repentance, or justly answering an external profession of repentance. As faith, so repentance, without works is dead.

Repent
Biblical assurance of salvation does not flow from a past decision or a prayer, but from the examination of one’s enduring lifestyle in the light of Scripture.
1John 2:4, 1John 1:6, 2 Corinthians 6:14, Job 13:16
StraightUp
Veteran

Postby StraightUp » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:21 am

Deep woods, I was not suggesting that anyone call this little girl to be their pastor. Rather as a parent and grandparent I could see a purity and innocence in this child that blessed my heart. Maybe it was that kind of innocence and sweetness that caused Jesus to hold children and bless them (I won't quote a proof text, you already know it I'm sure).

While I can admire your willingness to know the "letter of the law" and to speak up, you come across as arrogant and judgmental. And when someone calls your hand, you get a martyr complex. Or worse yet, tell them their disagreement is with God and not you. If you live at home the way you act on this forum, I pity your family.

You know, I seldom read anything you say and agree, but I always learn something in a weird sort of way. I guess you could say, your words and approach cause me to believe and embrace Scripture even more. I am reminded of an encounter Jesus had with the Jews in John 5. Toward the end of the of the discussion Jesus said, "You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life."

Legalism is hard on a man over the years. I wish you the best.
Deep Woods
Veteran

Postby Deep Woods » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:58 am

As the people in Biblical times did, you do the same....place the blame on someone else while you continue to live in the sin of the "world". They wicked sinful people of Jesus' time thought HE was arrogant and judgmental too. Some can't handle the TRUTH of GOD and will not leave their sinful lifestyle, ways, and friends to save their soul. They will continue in that way no matter what GODS WORD says, they will believe the soft soothing words of their worldly friends, leaders,...just like the people of the Bible.

2Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
Biblical assurance of salvation does not flow from a past decision or a prayer, but from the examination of one’s enduring lifestyle in the light of Scripture.
farmweather
Regular

Postby farmweather » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:40 am

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9

www.DeltaFarmWeather.com
hencutter
Veteran

Postby hencutter » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:06 pm

My point exactly. YOU are not Jesus! For you to insuate that Jesus doesn't want us to help or have compassion for those in need proves my point exactly.Please use your Bible to allow God to speak to you;rather than using it try and tear down other Christians.Oops,oh,wait, no one is a Christian except you.Sorry,I forgot. I am fallible.
Deep Woods
Veteran

Postby Deep Woods » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:15 pm

hencutter, Sir - I never claimed to be Jesus..that is your insinuation. SCRIPTURE convicts sinners and tears down the devil. The false professions of men are more detrimental to the cause of Christianity than anything.
Here he means the manner of life which shows a real repentance.
Fruits meet for repentance, --sincere and penitent actions, showing true repentance.

When God saved me, HE sanctified me...no more tobacco, no more drinking, no more cussing, no more partying, no more hanging around "worldly" friends, no more living just like the "world", HE made me to hate the sinful television and sporting events and don't say they are not sinful..if you do, you are selfish and happy living in that sin and your evil actions speak against your profession of being a Christian...HE put a desire in my heart to serve HIS cause and HIS ways and not my flesh anymore. Which is clearly what the Scripture says.

The things mentioned here are the very things that hung Jesus on the Cross and you indulge yourself in them daily and then profess to be HIS sheep..Come on???

Christian service is not the payment for GODS grace: service is the Christian's way to express devotion and love to GOD. Lack of this service clearly shows that your devotion to GOD is not what you profess it to be.

"Many people are trying to make men Christians by a different course, by copying as near as possible their present manner of life, and conforming to them as much as will possibly do. They seem to think they can make men fall in with religion best by bringing religion down to their standard. As if the nearer you bring religion to the world, the more likely the world would be to embrace it. Now all this is as wide as the poles from the true philosophy of making Christians. But it is always the policy of carnal professors. And they think they are displaying wonderful sagacity and prudence by taking so much pains not to scare people at the mighty strictness and holiness of the Gospel. They argue that if you exhibit religion to mankind as requiring such a great change in their manner of life, such innovations upon their habits, such a separation from their old associates, why, you will drive them all away. This seems plausible at first sight. But it is not true. Let professors live in this lax and easy way, and sinners say, "Why, I do not see but I am about right, or at least so near right, that it is impossible God should send me to hell for the difference between me and these professors. It is true, they do a little more than I do, they go to the communion table, and pray in their families, and a few such like little things, but they cannot make any such great difference as heaven and hell." No, the true way is, to exhibit religion and the world in strong contrast, or you never can make sinners feel the necessity of a change. Until the necessity of this fundamental change is embodied and held forth in a strong light by example, how can you make men believe they are going to be sent to hell if they are not wholly transformed in heart and life?"- excerpt from a sermon by Rev. CHARLES G. FINNEY

I am doing what GOD told me to do, (if it pleases you or not, that is not my issue..take it up with GOD) by giving you HIS WORD to try and help you see that you are living in what HE calls sin. But NO..... just like all the other wicked/fallen people of the world, past and present will continue in that sin no matter that you have been warned and shown the TRUTH and no matter the consequences.

I have done what GOD told me to do and that is warn you of it.....if you continue in your sin, living just like the "world" after GODS WORD has clearly told you not to, then suffer the consequences when it comes time. But you know what GODS WORD spoke to you and you know that you must reform your life, repent and change your way of living or by GODS WORD you will not make it to HEAVEN.
Keep listening to your friends that are afraid to tell you the truth..they will continue to tell you what you want to hear and "sugar coat" your sin for you and all the while you are getting deeper and deeper in sin. The devil is cunning, he is not blatant with his attacks...he is a "smooth talker", "sugar coater", "tell you what you want to hear", kinda guy...just ask Eve. The devil is just the kind of guy that you like when living in sin because he will not convict you of that sin, he will help you in it, push you to keep going that way even if it contradicts GODS WORD.."Hey everybody else is doing it, so it must be okay"......

Now keep believing the lies of the devil and living loosely and in sin and you will see soon enough your end and destiny.

I pray you will see the TRUTH in GODS WORD and what HE requires of us. REPENT and turn your life over to HIM..live as HE has called you to live "separate" from the "world" and it's ways....HOLY.
hencutter
Veteran

Postby hencutter » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:50 pm

Who said that I,or,for that matter any one else that frequents this forum, cusses,uses tobacco,etc? Or,for that matter "parties" ,sporting events,etc.? I don't do these things. Although I can't think of scripture that condems any of them (except taking Gods name in vain-"cussing")- but then again someone called you a "goob" and you claimed that he was calling God a bad name. :roll: guess that was cussing to you.
There are several scriptures concerning judging others. You do this quite frequent on this forum. Get over yourself.And repent for harboring a judgmental spirit. Find out what it is that God really wants you to do. I promise-being a self-appointed judge ain't one of them ! Be filled with His Spirit.
Oh, and remember after Jesus fasted for 40 days, The devil tempted him,right?..................Well he used scripture when he did so!Throwing line after line of scripture out doesn't always make one holy,does it?
Deep Woods
Veteran

Postby Deep Woods » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:23 am

Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:05 am

All this over a kid telling a bible story?? Seriously, people. This is why I stopped reading and posting in "Christian" forums years ago. First time I've clicked on this forum in months and this is the topic at the top. Good grief!
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
farmerc83
Duck South Addict

Postby farmerc83 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:23 am

The two loudest sounds in the world are a BANG when you expect a CLICK and a CLICK when you expect a BANG.
Deep Woods
Veteran

Postby Deep Woods » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:20 pm

There is no “sitting on the fence”…No where in Scripture does it say we are to or can “sit on the fence”. We are to “choose you this day whom ye will serve;”. GOD made good white and evil black…though some would have it mixed to a neutral gray. GOD is a jealous GOD and If you are “sitting on the fence” your mind is not set on GOD in the first place.

It seems to be as much the problem today as it was in the Biblical times, people would rather follow the multitude to do evil.
Exodus 23:2 Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil;

1Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

The Pharisees were good at quoting Scripture, this is true and just like the people of today they used that Scripture out of context to cover their sins and justify their wicked and worldly ways.
When Jesus rebuked and reproved them on that with the truth of the Scripture….well….they responded much like people here have with their attitude of we know better than GOD and HIS WORD and we will not follow what HE says, but we will follow the rest of the “world” and be just like them, no matter what GODS WORD says and we will crucify Jesus and get rid of HIM because HE has spoken GODS WORD and it has convicted us of how sinful we really are.
To the Pharisees, Jesus was not as good as them because they were educated, had nice houses, wore the fashionable clothes and attire of the times, had a position in society, they had money and a lot of “friends” that had influence in the “world”.
HE was a lowly person, uneducated, did not have a secular, worldly position, had no large following, was a liar and blasphemer according to them, thought and spoke different from the rest of the people, did not go along with their sinful “worldly” ways or tolerate them and would not cover up for or soothe them in their sin and could not possibly be used by GOD in anyway.

Zechariah 1:4 Be ye not as your fathers, unto whom the former prophets have cried, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Turn ye now from your evil ways, and from your evil doings: but they did not hear, nor hearken unto me, saith the LORD.
Last edited by Deep Woods on Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
StraightUp
Veteran

Postby StraightUp » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:42 pm

As the originator of this topic/thread, I hereby declare Deep Woods the winner!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, let's let him make the last post telling us all we are wrong and should repent. Then, could a moderator lock it?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
farmerc83
Duck South Addict

Postby farmerc83 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Never said that I was sitting on the fence DW, just that there are fence sitters out there that may be turned off to faith in God due to folks with attitudes like yours. Therefore, you wouldn't be winning them to the Christian side of the fence. Almost evertime you post you are telling people what not to do and in my short life, it's been my experience that this is the worst way to go about spreading the Word. Jesus didn't berate those that hadn't chosen him yet in their life....no, he spoke harshly to those that thought they had it all figured out, so much so that it was impossible for them to even fathom the love and compassion that Jesus showed towards other sinners.

Remember those that interpretted the laws so strictly that they even called out Jesus for performing miracles on the Sabbath? He pretty much told them to not lose site of the greater good being done and to get off their high horse about the rules. I truly believe that is applicable to the video of this little girl.
The two loudest sounds in the world are a BANG when you expect a CLICK and a CLICK when you expect a BANG.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”