Ask Ducksouth- Vacuum Sealers

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Ask Ducksouth- Vacuum Sealers

Postby MSDawg870 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:52 pm

Any of you fellas have any experience with these contraptions? I plan on getting my Dad one for Christmas and then I'll borrow it when needed. :) It'll mostly be used for meat and fish. Are there any brands/model to stay away from or is there a cadillac model i should get?

Thanks in advance for the insight.
quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask Ducksouth- Vacuum Sealers

Postby quack_a_tack » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:26 pm

I got a Foodsaver I forget the model but it is perfect for fish and wild game. I packed roughly 40# of Mackeral and redfish in i lil more than quart sized bags in bout 1 hr. Never had a prob. with it. I will look up the model number if you like it is good for around the house.
Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:08 am

quack you are a better man than me, just the thought of frozen mackerel makes my stomach queezy. I can stomach it fresh but wow it gets some kind of fishy once frozen!!

As far as vacum packers I have a cheaper model and it works well however it doesn't always get all of the air out of the bag. I have been considering getting a nice one from Cabelas that's more of a commercial model. From what research I have done they have more vacum power and get more air out allowing for longer lasting meat in the freezer. However they are proud of those models but still considering it.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:10 am

I just did tons of research for a buddy of mine. He just bought a $2000 model Sipromac brand chamber vacuum sealer. This is the one where you use the smooth bags and not the channel bags like most people are accustomed to. It has a Bosch oil pump and and this is the pump of choice that you need to look for. Other brands have this same pump as well, but not many.

Do not buy a VacMaster (Sorry Jeff if you were looking at these at Cabelas).

I had the list of brands narrowed down to Promarks and Sipromac. Promarks is 100% american made and has a Bosch oil pump, but was sold out of Houston, TX. The Sipromac is Italian and has the Bosch oil pump, but was sold out of Lafayette, LA.

Both models allow for the channel bags to be used outside of the machine too and this is consistant with most models I saw.

On the other hand, if your wanting just the plain vacuum sealer, go with the Foodsaver brand.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:59 am

Lane is that a model S2000, or is that a 2000 dollar vacum sealer?
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:24 am

That's a $2000 vacuum sealer. This is a chamber style vacuum.

Sipromac 250:

Promarks 280F:
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
regishay
Duck South Addict

Postby regishay » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:14 am

go with the foodsaver brand, its small it does a great job, the only problem i have with it is when you buy replacement bags. Dont buy the roll of tube that you have to seal both ends. Its a pain, just buy the replacement bags and go with it.
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
- General Macarthur

donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:31 am

+1 on the rolls being a pain to seal both ends, especially if doing a large job. the clamp on my foodsaver (cheaper walmart model) has gotten weak over the years, so it vacuums faster if i put pressure on the top, but it still works well after 4 or so years of moderate use.

i use the marinating container a good bit, that comes with it, as well.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:22 am

Nobody owes you anything.
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:43 am

I bought a couple of Foodsavers last year for Christmas presents. You can get some good deals on Ebay......or just go buy one at Walmart. They work well. I have a problem with Summer sausage drying out but have now started getting it from the processor and using the foodsaver to vaccuum seal them.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:46 am

Foodsaver once made a really small one, like 6" wide bags or maybe smaller. I had one and kept it in my fish cleaning bag with my knives and such. When I'd fish Grand Isle, I could clean my fish and vacuum pack them all at the fishing cleaning dock. Then it quite working and I don't think they actually make them anymore.

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
jmh600
Veteran

Postby jmh600 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:21 am

Thinking about getting a vacuum Sealer.. What's the best brands out there for a reasonable price
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:14 am

I've had a food saver for 6-8 years.

works good.

only thing is if the meat is dry it works way better.

I re-use the bags just turn them inside out and wash them and let them air dry.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
jmh600
Veteran

Postby jmh600 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Does it get all the air out? Seems like I used a friends with some catfish filets and it left some air in it
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:37 pm

I've used all of the foodsaver models.

The V3485 is the best one I've found to hold up and last.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”