Dog hearing protection

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
VinceMH

Dog hearing protection

Postby VinceMH » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:10 am

I'll be hunting from a pit blind this season and I'm worried about the my dog's hearing. He sits next to me and is right at the level of the barrel. I can't sit him remotely because we're hunting a 360 degree field where he would be in the line of fire at some point. Is there hearing protection for dogs? Any suggestions?
Kenny Girot
HRCH UH CH Kerrybrook's Vince MH
http://www.kerrybrooksvince.com
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Re: Dog hearing protection

Postby GulfCoast » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:39 am

Kenny: I know many folks that hunt out of air boats train their dogs to wear earmuffs on the ride out and back to hunt, since air boats are so loud. John Segurra used to train dogs to wear earmuffs for hunters around Slidell/Covington. I have never seen anyone put earmuffs on a dog hunting, even out of a pit. I have never heard of hearing loss being an issue for a non-guide service dog, but others probably know more than I do about that issue.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
VinceMH

Postby VinceMH » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks GC. I did several searches on this forum and RTF and found quite a few who have dogs with hearing loss. I hunted Teal in that pit blind without hearing protection, which I'll never do again. I had my bell rung by a couple of my buddy's shots. The dog's head is right even with the barrel of my gun, so I know it affects him as much as it did me. I saw Mutt Muffs mentioned on one post. Might give that a try if there aren't any other suggestions.
Kenny Girot
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:44 am

No short barrels or long swings... if your buddy is ringing your ears, he needs to quit swinging that wide.. first thing we do every morning is remind everyone to not shoot on the water unless told too, and dont swing over and ring my ears. Since im sitting next to my dog, their ears arent going to get rung unless I do it, and i aint doing it for a duck.
In the older days of hrc, we used to use ft poppers and lots of those dogs ended up with hearing loss in their older days. I don't know if Ive ever seen a dog with hearing loss just from pit hunting. travis
VinceMH

Postby VinceMH » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks for the reply Travis. I ordered the Mutt Muffs for the dog and have an appointment tomorrow with an audiologist for plugs for me. Ain't takin' no chances. I know I'll have to endure the wrath of my hunting buddies when I break out the dog muffs. They already give me hell for having a ramp for him to get in my truck. At least I'll know that I did what I could to keep him safe and healthy.
Kenny Girot
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:14 am

People who snicker at you trying to take the best care you can of a dog that you love and have invested many thousands of dollars into, is the sign of an IQ less than 80. Ask 'em how many dual champs/mh THEY have made! ;)
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
GordonGekko
Duck South Addict

Postby GordonGekko » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:41 pm

good luck, hope it works well for you, shooting whether in a pit or elsewhere will damage a dog's or a person's hearing...no short barrels or ported barrels in a pit blind with me.....

travis, I don't know that you can specifically attribute it to hunting out of a pit as opposed to anywhere else (and that was probably the point you were making), but I know several hunting dogs that have lost their hearing.....
"In God we trust, all others pay cash."

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Press Alt+F4 to ignore my posts
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:42 am

Ive seen more dogs with hearing loss from ear infections (chronic) than from hunting. my first dog, fatdawg, was totally deaf last 2 years of her life. she fought ear infection sher whole life, as did her mom ( should have never been breed, i was liike most first timers, didnt know what to look for or be scared of).

anytime someone thinks a particual thing, be it muffs, or a vest , or anything else for THEIR dog is called for, do it. Its your dog and you alone are responbile for the well being of it. and like mark said, anyone that seriously gives you a hard time about it, well flick em! ha. that said, we make fun of everyones hats, camo, haircuts or anything else we can thing off. travis
ACEINTHEHOLE
Duck South Addict

Postby ACEINTHEHOLE » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:59 am

Casie Page

lipsplitter39654 wrote:
... an old man with a gun will kill you if you mess with him ...
VinceMH

Re: Dog hearing protection (update on mutt muffs)

Postby VinceMH » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:54 pm

Attachments
IMAG0157.jpg
IMAG0160.jpg
Kenny Girot
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:06 am

Kenny: Tell them they should offer them in camo! :D