Topic: Alcohol and the Bible

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Topic: Alcohol and the Bible

Postby Deltamud77 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:47 pm

I know we have a board dedicated to Christian thoughts but since it has not had a post in almost a month, I took it upon myself to ask the question where it would get more traffic. If it needs to be moved, I'm cool with it...don't want to ruffle any feathers. Let me preface this with the fact that I grew up Baptist and did not drink for until almost adulthood. My religious views changed in reference to alcohol and I do not think that alcohol is bad...in moderation of course. :wink:

What are the thoughts on this board about alcohol in relation to the Bible? Just curious.
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Re: Topic: Alcohol and the Bible

Postby Blake Williamson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:52 pm

Jesus turned water into wine(John 2:1-11)
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:53 pm

Proverbs 20 Vs 1

"Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise."
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:00 pm

alcohol and the Bible, I try to not mix the two.
Good way to start a fight.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:03 pm

Its that moderation part that tends to be a little tricky.
kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:10 pm

I really thought this was gonna be one of those "so last night I was having a few beers and got to reading>>>>"
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:11 pm

Bible calls it 'unwise' as previous post stated. I do not want to be 'unwise' in the eyes of the Lord.
hotty toddy
Duck South Addict

Postby hotty toddy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:14 pm

Water supplies during the biblical ages were not very safe so from what I gather wine was the safest thing to drink. Of course I have heard it argued that the "wine" was just grape juice but to me that makes no since since wine was a means to preserve the grape juice and the alcohol made it more safe to drink.

I too was raised in a baptist church and neither of my parents ever drank in front of me. I have since discovered that my dad would have a beer every once in a while. Myself I do enjoy a cold beer but I do think that drunkiness is wrong.
BE STILL, HERE THEY COME, BE STILL!!!!!!!!!!!

"Yeah, I got TP..........2 dollars a square"
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:17 pm

The Bible neither condemns drinking nor promotes it. If you can prove to me either way please do so.
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:18 pm

DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:25 pm

it clearly states that drunks are not welcome into the kingdom.

As for drinking in general, my motto has always been "drink but do not get drunk". As for the Bible to back up my beliefs, its clear that drunkness is not accepted. Wine was regularly drank. I believe it all falls back on self control. Its a test. Its the human tendency to over indulge.
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict

Postby Blake Williamson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict

Postby Blake Williamson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
Faithful Retrievers
Duck South Addict

Postby Faithful Retrievers » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:37 pm

We had this discussion last week in small group. My point was Jimbo says damit, I take a drink of beer. Say both are "sins" who has commited the greater? Then if its so wrong why do you see some clergy that will have a drink?
http://www.grizzlyjig.com
"Better to have people think your a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"- Mark Twain
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:42 pm

this one might make 50 pages quicker than the Snot vs T Logan Russel thread in the deer forum.

After discussing this with someone who has had several classes in hermaneutics (literal translation of the Bible based on grammar and history), the wine of that time was equivalent to our wine of today being mixed with 4 parts water. (8 oz of todays 4% wine mixed with 32 oz of water which equals very very very low alcohol content, but alcohol nonetheless). Yall can fight this out. I don't like headaches, so I am out.

just because a preacher does something does not make it right. this goes for way more than drinking. just saying..
There will be a day....

Return to “General Discussion Forum”