Topic: Alcohol and the Bible

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Bully
Veteran

Re: Topic: Alcohol and the Bible

Postby Bully » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:15 am

Justin
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:43 am

I have heard the argument that it may be a sin NOT to drink in moderation. The argument is that Jesus was the one and only truly perfect and sinless being on this earth. Jesus made and drank wine (real, alcohol wine). If we are to emulate Christ, this may be part of the deal. Moreover, red wine, when consumed in moderate amounts, actually promotes health whereas cokes and the like are detrimental to the body.

I don't buy into this argument, but I have heard it several times from different people.
uncleC
Veteran

Postby uncleC » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:24 pm

I have enjoyed the discussion of this subject....have seen and read it being discussed many times....like Tombstone, I'll post my thoughts then I'm out....everyone has their "own" scripture to validate their stance on alcohol......SO, I'm sure my thoughts won't sway anyone......when a person states they are a Christian, to me that says they are stating that Christ is Lord of their life and they are trying to follow and emulate Christ.....that being said, a Christian can strive to live like Christ but can never truly be like HIM because He is the only sinless Being in Creation to walk on this earth.....part of being a Christian is being a verbal witness for Christ.... I can see it now.... I'm sitting on the tailgate of my truck at the camp with a Bud Lite in my hand......my buddy, who does not know Christ as Saviour walks up....and I say " Let me tell you about JESUS....." I don't think he's gonna pay me much attention, probably give me down the country.....and then I've possibly missed the only chance I'll ever have to effectively witness to my friend......just my thoughts....I'm out, Chip
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:47 pm

BOY! Could this go 50 pages or what!?!?!? Has anyone thought about 1 Timothy 5:23? In it, we are told "Be no longer a drinker of water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities."

Should I throw out the bottled water? Hmmmmm :wink:
Nobody owes you anything.
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:41 am

" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
hencutter
Veteran

Postby hencutter » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:41 pm

I'm in with "only in moderation" crowd. I heard how evil alcohol was growing up ,and in adulthood,realized that it often preached by men who could stand to lose 50 plus pounds. And, the theroy that it can be a stumbing block to others is true. But, over the years I have heard folks use every excuse you can dream of to point out a stumbling block. Examples: "He has an expensive car". " They teach thier kids that winning (a sports event) is everything"! "His daughter is married to someone of a different race" - "his son is married to divorced woman" - these are real examples. I have heard some of the Tee-Totaler crowd talk about watching TV shows or movies that I would'nt watch at all. Diffrence is, I don't preach at them (or, about them) because of it. Long story short,yes,The Bible does teach us not to be a stumbling block- but most folks seem like they are looking for a stumbling block,to use as an excuse.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:58 pm

The bible can say whatever you want it too if you look hard enough. If you are not careful and well versed you'll find yourself being quite hypocritical.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:57 am

Sea-Donkey
Veteran

Postby Sea-Donkey » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:51 am

My 2 cents:
If you drink enough that your morals change, it is a sin. For example, you normally are faithful to your spouse but after a few drinks you wake up in a hotel room with a stranger. Problem.

You have a few and your integrity doesn't change.
No problem.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”