Hunting from a gator hide

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
moon
Regular

Hunting from a gator hide

Postby moon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:02 am

I bought my 4 man hide just after last season, so I haven't hunted from it yet. Was hoping that there are some proud hide owner on here with some tips or tricks that work for them. Thanks and any advise is appreciated.
Wait for the landing gear and shootem in the face!!! CTM2005
Kealhofer
Veteran

Re: Hunting from a gator hide

Postby Kealhofer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:59 pm

get out of the boat and stand by a tree. My opinion is you spent too much money on something too big to hide and much more success standing by a tree and pushing the boat up in the trees away from you.
Do you eat duck meat?
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Josh Lantrip
quackheadbp

Postby quackheadbp » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:28 pm

ditto.
moon
Regular

Postby moon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:55 pm

Not the replies I was looking for. Been hunting next to trees for 17 years. Got the boat mainly so that my dad can still go and have a good time. It is very hard for him to get around these days. I also have young kids that I plan to take hunting and this boat will make it easier. Also Jeff Foiles seems to do very well out of his hide.
quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

Postby quack_a_tack » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:19 pm

Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
moon
Regular

Postby moon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:38 am

Well I'm just saying that there are people out there that successfully hunt from a hide. If the situation calls for it I am sure my crew will get away from the boat. I am looking for experienced people that have had success in one of these style boats not some comments about how much money I spend on boats they don't like (or can't afford).
duckhunterdoc
Veteran

Postby duckhunterdoc » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:43 am

Moon, I hunted out of one a couple of years ago, weekend ,2 hunts, whereas my first choice is out of the boat and in the trees, this hunt was a large overgrown catfish pond-heavy moss out from the bank-50-70 yds--ducks landing in the middle (no trees)... 4 man hide did well-----I would much rather have this boat, than mine with a "box" blind set up---but I probably ain't paying the $....so my take on it GOOD...you can actually hunt 5 with shallow water and 1 guy standing by the motor....dog box seemed small---dog must mind well...hunters may need to practice the "sit up" to shoot--is a little different (thinking of your Dad and kids)...even though the low profile is awsome..I would still highly recommend adding the natural cover of your surroundings (our hunt we pulled up the moss/grass and drapped all over the boat)....boat ran well in the shallows, wide for trees, big mudd motor helped(don't remember size)---seemed to remember it was heavy...too shallow to be a river boat....but certain situations I don't think you could beat it
moon
Regular

Postby moon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:32 am

It does well in small rivers, but I am not getting in the Mississippi with it. Not really fond of big water like that. I hunt some small rivers and brakes. It has vertical holes all over it for putting limbs and such in. I also have made some what of a rug of grass and killer weed that rolls out over the deck. Still need to get my motor cover,but it is lookin good so far. With the rug on the deck all is needed is to pull up and cut a few limbs or what ever is in the area we are hunting put that on and hunt. To me there is no comparison with a pop up blind. You can't hide any better than that. Thanks this is the feed back I am looking for.
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:09 am

post up some pics!
Where'd who go?
moon
Regular

Postby moon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:41 am

I will as soon as I get done with the motor cover and finisher blind for the dog. Thing is starting to look awesome. Got me dreaming of cold weather...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”