Need tractor advice

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
legends of the lower mars
Duck South Sponsor

Need tractor advice

Postby legends of the lower mars » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:07 pm

I'm seriously wanting a smaller tractor (20-30 hp) with front end loader "new or used" to help maintain my yard (6 acres), driveway, plant small gardens and small food plots at my lease... I'm not in the know so to speak on tractors. So, any help / recommendations on HP, size, manufacturer, pro's /con's and place that has best prices would be much appreciated! :wink:
Last edited by legends of the lower mars on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHO DAT!

TOURNAMENT REDFISHING TEAM

A man may have many dogs in his life, but, a "True Legend" comes only once...

NOTICE! USERNAME SHOULD READ---"Legends of the Lower Marsh"
brandon327
Veteran

Re: Need tractor advice

Postby brandon327 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:22 pm

As with anything good dealer support and service is just as important as brand tractor. I would recommend any of the major brands. Check prices and see what you want to spend. Get something you can haul around it you need too. Do you have enough truck and trailer to haul it? Which in that size range that should not be a problem. I think the kubotas are really good in the smaller tractors. I would look at tractors and prices. They can vary greatly in the different brands.
munyoz70
Veteran

Postby munyoz70 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:29 pm

kabota makes the best tractor on the market right now in my opinion, with that being said i saw a market analysis and mahindrah is the best selling light utility tractor on the market, they too are good. But I would get kabota... Oh and john deere is the harley davidson of tractor you pay for the paint, nothing more and parts and labor are wayyy more expensive. They paint them green so you dont see them broke down in the woods
"Man you don't see them ducks, hand me that gun"- T.K. and Mike
Delta Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby Delta Duck » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:56 am

Just don't get too small, You will need more than 30 hp. Get 4 wheel drive and atleast 60 -- 75 hp plus.

In the long run you will be happy!
"Ducks on the Brain"
It's always better with a good dog and good friends, Ducks and no Terrorist!
http://www.DeltaDucks.com
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:07 am

The newest big name in tractors is Bobcat. Price, you'll better off with Bobcat and you get as much quality, if not better than any other brand tractor. Bobcat also uses Kubota engines as most of their other equipment does too. I'm partial to Kubota myself, but new Kubota is expensive and Kubota parts are a little high as well.

I've heard nothing but good things on Bobcat and heard that their hydraulic system is like no other and stronger than anything in the compact world. Be careful of grey market tractors and stick with your name brands: Case, John Deere, Kubota, New Holland, Bobcat, Mahindra, Yanmar. Yanmar being the worst with possible grey market trctors.

Don't be afraid to buy used. What is your price range and I can look for someone on craigslist and ebay.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:08 am

On 6 acres 30-35 HP will be tons. I have a Kubota for around the house and love it. I have a belly mower on it for the yard and it cuts beautifully. THen I have a front end loader, 6' bushhog, disc, spreader, etc. It does everything you are looking for. I have been very happy with mine and I guess it's about 3 years old now.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:11 am

Jeff,

what model kubota you have?
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
kevinw
Veteran

Postby kevinw » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:26 am

For just 6 acres I'd suggest the Kubota L2800 2wd. The tractor will sale new for about $11k and add about $4k for the loader. And this unit has 0% for 60 months, so why pay cash when you can leave your money in the bank and let it collect interest while you use someone elses money for free. As for implements I'd go with landpride, main reason being is that you can add the landpride implements onto the 0% as long as you buy them with a new Kubota. And landpride makes good stuff.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:36 am

not to disagree being Kubota was mentioned, but I would certainly consider a 4wd (front wheel assist). I've used both 2wd and 4wd with FEL and if you use the loader for it's purpose, there will be times where the back end will be light and it's nice having those front tires pulling you. It's especially nice to have if you plan to use it for food plots and what not in the woods. Although I've seen 4wd tractors stuck, it would take alot of lack of driving to get one stuck where it would take even less for a 2wd.

2005 L2800 4wd with FEL for $12,900 with 767 hours on it http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdet ... ID=5850005

2009 L3400 4wd with FEL for $14,900 in Brookaven, MS: http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdet ... ID=5875520

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
augustus_65
Veteran

Postby augustus_65 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:14 am

I have a Kubota L3830 4WD GST with a front end loader and use it for the same purposes you're looking for. It is rated at 39HP. I use it to pull a finishing mower to cut my 6 acres and bush hog around my pond. I have a 6' bush hog, 300lb Spreader and a 6.5' disc that it pulls with ease. I use it to plant food plots, work on duck holes, bush hog and keep things up around the house. I had the same concerns when I was looking for a tractor. I wanted one big enough to do some work with but not too big for around the house. The L3830 is the perfect size for what I need. Plus, it is not too much tractor to trailer easily. I pull it on a 20' bumper pull trailer behind a 2500HD with ease. Be forwarned, you will wonder how you ever got along without a front end loader. :)
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:44 am

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:52 am

I agree with a smaller Kubota with 4wd(assist) and another thing I would add is look at the different transmissions and drives. I have driven them all, but with a small tractor especially with a front end loader is the hydrostatic foot drive....press forward to go forward, backwards to back up. Its really good if your doing alot fo work in tight places as well.
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:12 am

kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:44 am

I would strongly agree with looking at a little more HP. If you look, you can find a 40 to 5o HP that is phsycially not much bigger than the 30 HP. And you will not regret having the extra power. Also, the light tractors (20-30 HP) are great for pulling around a finishing mower, but if you are planning on doing much more you are definitely going to want to a heavy, higher HP tractor. Those 20 to 30 HP tractors may have all the torque you can use, but it won't do you any good if all you're doing is spinning your tires especially with that front in loader hanging off the front. I use to operate a 100 HP tractor w/ front loader, rear wheel weights, water in the tires, but you get much of anything in the bucket and all the rear tires just want to do is spin. So, I would consider 4WD especially on a smaller tractor.

P.S. If you are mainly considering mowing grass, buy a zero turn with a 6ft deck. It is much faster than using a tractor and finishing mower.

Just my 2 cents...
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:50 am

I would strongly disagree with getting a "big" tractor to cut the yard with. The extra weight of the tractor will cause the tires to dig into the lawn and tear it up over time. With the 30hp or so tractor you can do evertyhing you need to do around the house and not tear anything up.

IMO from what you have described for home use and just general ag that would be fine. The bigger tractors are great but you can't get turf/industrial tires for most of them and you have to use ag tires which will tear your yard up. The 50hp and above are great tractors I just don't think their place is on yard maintentance of 6 acres.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”