What's a good gun for a girl?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
lmiller1
Regular

Re: What's a good gun for a girl?

Postby lmiller1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:24 pm

Yes she has been shooting the 30-06 but, she wont no more. She said it was knocking her breath out. She had been shooting the gun in a lead sled and once we went hunting and she got her first shot she didn't think about how bad it kicked caused she had just smoked a doe at 120 yards. Later on in the year as she shot it again without a lead sled, that's when she realized how bad it kicked.
I like the idea of the .243 cal. I will say that some of our fields could range from 150 to 200 yards so is the .243 going to give me enough of accuracy at that distance?
legends of the lower mars
Duck South Sponsor

Postby legends of the lower mars » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Great discussion... My daughter was showing some interest about deer hunting this year and I was wondering what caliber would fit her tolerence level to recoil. I just bought her a Rossi .243 youth model with scope combo from Academy for $199.00 She was scared as shiat to pull the trigger because of how loud it was when I was sighting it in... LOL!!!
But once she pulled the trigger and figured out the recoil didn't hurt, she was driving tacks on the bulls eye!!! She's been asking me everyday since I bought it if she can shoot! Good stuff!!! :wink:

And we sighted in at 100 and have shot out to 150 and haven't noticed significant bullet drop... I'm no expert on this round but I do believe a 200 yard shot is not out of the question.

For kids; .243 is a great match...
WHO DAT!

TOURNAMENT REDFISHING TEAM

A man may have many dogs in his life, but, a "True Legend" comes only once...

NOTICE! USERNAME SHOULD READ---"Legends of the Lower Marsh"
Matt S
Veteran

Postby Matt S » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:01 pm

The 243 will have no problems at 200 yards.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:16 pm

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:30 pm

The .243 will be FLAT to 200 yards. Sight in 1" high or so at 100 and you should be 1" low at 200. Based on the ballistics I've seen there appears to be about a 2" drop from 100 to 200 yards. Split the difference and you're good to go. If you aim mid-chest at 250 you should hit the animal roughly 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of his chest. (right in the boiler room)
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
lmiller1
Regular

Postby lmiller1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:23 am

I have been looking on Gun Broker.com at some .243 cal rifles. Browning would obviously be my first choice but dang they are proud of them!
The Remington 770 is a good looking gun and in the price range I'm looking for. The compact version I think would also fit her better.
The handy rifle would not be that much cheaper and having those extra round is a plus also.
Told the wife what I was doing, all she said was Oh, Lord! :D :D :D
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:48 am

Word to the wise..........Stay away from Handy rifles and rossi..........I know some off yall love them but eveyone I ever had was trot line weight........
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
KWAKHED
Duck South Addict

Postby KWAKHED » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:58 am

I have done a lot of research on the Mossberg 100ATR and have found very few bad reviews. Academy offers a youth combo(with scope) for $299 and it has an adjustable stock. They even come with adjustable triggers and fluted barrels.
HR Choctaw's Sunset Drake
Mississippi Mallard Mafia
Odis
Veteran

Postby Odis » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:13 pm

.243 is a great choice, I love hunting with mine and that's what my sons shoot, have you looked at a basic Tikka, I don't know what they cost but am sure they are less than a browning, I've always heard they are very accurate, they are made by Sako and I know they shoot well. We shoot barnes triple shock x bullets loaded by federal killed hogs and deer with them and they have always worked well
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:55 pm

7mm-08 Browning Micro without question. Been there, done that on the H & R .243...terrible consistency. The Browning is a gun you will keep and hunt with forever.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:22 pm

I spent a little extra money and got the Remington 700 SPS youth model. Short stock, limb saver recoil pad (reduces felt recoil by 50% or so they claim). The gun jumps up, but doesn't really "kick" back...if that makes sense.
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:12 am

Theres a fella with a BLR in .243 in the classifieds right now...shot my first mule deer with one...nice gun :wink:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:42 am

Another option is the Stevens made by Savage. It isn't the pretties gun in the world but more than adequate for hunting.. I bought one for my nephew a few years back for like 299.00
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Nail

Postby Nail » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:53 pm

Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:54 pm

It's chambered in .243...I believe I paid $475 for it about 3 years ago, don't know what they are going for now.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”