getting new dog - few questions

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
BUCKWHEAT
Regular

getting new dog - few questions

Postby BUCKWHEAT » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:09 am

Looking into getting a new dog. It's been two years since my last one passed and think it will be hard to find one that compares. Honestly, I haven't been too impressed with a lot of the "well bred" dogs I have hunted around lately. It may very well just be the fault of the owner. However, in talking with some people it just seems to be a bit more of a crap shoot in getting a good lab these days. I've been in touch with a few breeders, but have been a little hesitant to pull the trigger yet. Does anyone have any experience with Huntfild Kennels? Any other folks you would suggest? Hell, don't even have to go through a breeder, my best lab ever was bought out of the paper for $150, but I got to work with the sire and dame for a while and was pleased with them. I was also introduced to the deutsch drahthaar recently and was quite impressed. Anyone have experience with this breed?
DuckBoat
Veteran

Re: getting new dog - few questions

Postby DuckBoat » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:53 pm

After having 5 labs (currently have one too) I am thinking most of the same thoughts buckwheat posted 10 years ago.
I am considering getting a Drahthaar or gwp. Grew up with bird dogs (pointers , setters , and a couple spaniels ) so I am thinking of getting back to more of a bird dog to use for ducks /doves. I know it will be hard to beat a lab for the way I use one but just want to try something different.

Does anyone have any updates of owning or experiencing one?
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:56 am

I've always wanted a GSP. And if duck hunting keeps going the way it is locally, I'll have one. But with my dedication to hunting ducks, I never could see it as a viable option in the past so I stuck with the Chessie. I feel like you have to pick and choose conditions to take a GSP, where a Chessie would be just as at home in the ice as in a warm teal blind. All that said, they are wonderfully tempered dogs, very capable retrievers when trained correctly, and very good looking animals.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Meeka
Duck South Addict

Postby Meeka » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:16 am

Joel, I spent a lot of time looking around in the spring and the prices for what I want are absurd, and don't come with breeding rights.
HRCH Bwanna Sharkey JH

Wouldn't a condo at the beach be nice!!!?
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:50 am

Breeding rights are a must in my opinion. If I am going to put the time and effort in to training a dog, then taking that dog to tests and get titles, I require breeding rights.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:22 pm

Well I got a drahthaar back in September and she is about 6 months old now so I thought I would leave a few comments and observations here for others who are curious about them. Most of it is pretty obvious and typical of what you read about them. I also know every dog is different so I am comparing this one drahthaar to my average experience with the labs I have had. I will start off by saying I haven’t put in nearly the time that is needed. I am good about taking off and going hunting but with kids, other projects , etc. I don’t train as well (as much) as I used to(years ago).

She does have natural retrieving ability but not like a lab. Maybe 70% of the retrieving drive of a lab.

She likes water fine. Hasn’t been cold enough to compare real cold weather ability.

She has a great personality, very playful and energetic. Still young but seems like she will be slower to mature than a lab. Seems pretty smart.

She does like to “hunt” more than a lab, makes a point to go through briar patches, high grass, etc. working scent.

Dang thing eats like a horse. I usually leave all my dogs (and currently have 6) with food all the time. She will eat the entire bowl full until it is all gone. She does growl at other dogs eating out of same bowl as her (certain situations at camp etc where more dogs are eating/housed together) I about have that worked out of her though. I am hoping she will settle down with the food when she gets full grown.

I haven’t started working on blind retrieving but I think it is going to be much harder to train on blinds than a lab.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:44 am

Good to hear about the drathaar. I’ve been looking into one as well, but I think if I go that route I’m gonna have to just get the training done by a pro. Hard to beat a good old lab for waterfowl, especially for no more upland hunting that I get to do. We do have some quail coming back so that could be fun with one.
work hard, play hard

Return to “General Discussion Forum”