Ask Don Miller...or other scatters hunters

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask Don Miller...or other scatters hunters

Postby SWAG » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Yea, it is pretty cool, have a copy of it framed in my office. It mentions W.C. Cross and Mr. Jordon being "fishing buddies". Fishing was a passion to them as were the ducks. My wife's grandma (W.C. Cross Sr wife) told me that W.C. and Son fished a many of Christmas morning. Different times no doubt. These men lived for the outdoors and put little else in front of it.

A funny note: I named my son Jon Clinton with the Jon coming from my side of the family and Clinton coming from my wife's side. W.C. stands for Walter Clinton. Anyways, he was born in 1996 and I do not know how many people thought I was some sort of democrat nut naming my son "Clinton" :lol: . To this day I still have someone ask me from time to time "Is he named after Bill Clinton?".

Back on the Scatters......Mark, do you think Tippo dumped into the Yalobusha back in the day? Maps look like it wants to, but Tippo is a much deeper canal than the Yalobusha. There are a many of zigs and zags of oxbows and sloughs throughout all the acres below HWY 8 that it is hard to really tell what went where. I would guess it changed frequently, thus making it the duck hotspot that it was? Although Dad (and yours too) hunted much greentree areas up this way, I do not remember any hunting stories detailing anyone hunting flooded timber around the Scatters?

Another "link" to the Scatters area being so good is early rice production throughout the area. From just north of Bear Lake woods all the way south till you reach the Hayward Jack's (Malmaison), there was a big move towards land clearing and rice farming. It set up a scenario (that now Stutgartt lives on).....ducks feeding in rice fields all night and then moving to timber / sloughs throughout the day. Most stories of the men who hunted these areas back then will show that it was not a "break your neck to get out there before daylight" type of event. Plenty of ducks would show mid-morning and they would find a spot to hunt during the breaking of the morning sun. With much of those same "rice fields" now planted to trees, the same scenario just does not exist on the scale it did back in the day.
Are we gonna get wet?
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:57 pm

Is Mr. Son still turning any calls? I saw him at the boat ramp the season before last and talked with him for almost an hour. His mind is still sharp but he has got to be in his 80's at least. I blew one his call in the 1989 Heart Of Dixie Regional in Birmingham. I spent a lot of time with him in his workshop back 20+ years ago but have kind of lost contact with him. He is last of the old call makers left in Greenwood.

Bill, you mentioned Greg Hood. I may be mistaken but I think I was told that his calls were modeled after the old Southland calls that were made in Leland.
Also, there was another old call maker from Leflore County that lived north of Schalter. His name was Louie Walker. Although he never made the comp calling circuit that I'm aware of, he did make a might fine meat call. I've got one that he made out of deer antler.
"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:09 pm

The first of the first famous Tamer duck calls
Sep 8, 2006 12:00 PM, By Wayne Capooth Freelance Writer wcapooth@gmail.com

At an early age, R.R. McPherson, living outside Leachville, Ark., hunted ducks at Big Lake, one of the most famous waterfowling grounds in the country.

He had heard of and seen some of the duck calls made by the legendary Big Lake duck call-makers: J.T. Beckhart and Claude Stone. He thought to himself, “I can do that.”

So he picked up a stick and drilled a hole, and the “rest is history,” according to his son, Don, of Greenwood, Miss.

At Leachville, McPherson made a living by picking cotton and doing odd jobs. One day, he walked in from the fields and told his wife, “We're moving to Pontiac, Mich., where I hope to get a job with General Motors.”

That was just before the start of World War II. Sure enough, McPherson got a job with the automaker.

The war came on and he and his wife worked the assembly line making parts for military vehicles. Mr. Mac made few calls during that time.

After the war, General Motors sent him to Greenwood, Miss., where he was the dealer representative for Mississippi.

During the mid-1940s to the late 1940s, he made just enough duck calls to satisfy a few friends, all handmade.

When Don McPherson was only a whippersnapper, he traveled with his father to calling contests. When Don was thirteen (1946), he entered the Leflore County duck calling contest, blowing his daddy's calls. His sister, who was a few years younger, also entered contests and did quite well.

Mr. Mac quacked away at Stuttgart several years but never won.

When he retired in 1951 from General Motors, he began turning out more calls. In the mid-1950s W.C. Cross of Greenwood paid a visit to Mr. Mac, the man he had heard so much about. He began using Mr. Mac's calls when he hunted and when he blew in contests.

As for Mr. Mac, he realized that this was no ordinary caller, because Mr. Mac was no ordinary caller himself. He recognized immediately the talent standing in front of him.

Soon others visited his shop, C.M. “Son” Jordan, one mean duck hunter and duck caller himself, dropped by. Before long, he joined the private duck calling sessions, as each prepared for calling contests. Cross got so good that he won back-to-back World Championship Duck Calling Contests in 1957 and 1958 at Stuttgart.

He had no name for his call, so he was about to name it “Mr. Mac.” That was until the day when his daughter told him his call sounded so good that he was going to tame those wild ducks he was calling. From that point on, “Tamer” was emblazoned across his label. Not all of his calls have labels because he occasionally sold a call to a friend before he had time to stick a label on it.

Eventually, he sold calls at Delta Sporting Goods in Greenwood. Over the years, his son said, he made a few thousand calls. In addition, Don made a few calls.

Mr. Mac did most of his hunting at Six Mile Bayou, McIntyre Scatters and Matthew's Brake. I feel fortunate to have one of his calls. I bought it from Mr. Mac when I visited with him in 1982.

One year later, he was dead. He was buried with the very first duck call he ever made — the one made from a stick.

Another article about these same men / areas.
Are we gonna get wet?
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:11 pm

Are we gonna get wet?
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:20 pm

"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)
msdeltadawg
Veteran

Postby msdeltadawg » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:32 pm

Don, my Dad bought me a Son Jordan call last year for Christmas, he is till making them and they are amazing. My Dad has a call that he got from Avery Wood back when they were running buddies back in the 40's and 50's he always thought it was a MacPherson call. Well, he was hunting with my cousins son and one of his buddies a couple of years ago and the friend said it was a Son Jordan call. The guy was Son's grandson, and said he would know one of his calls anywhere, anyway Dad is still blowing that call to this day, and it still sounds great. To keep from being called a thread hijacker, dad used to hunt the scatters with Avery, and Johnny back in the days, said it was an amazing place.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:39 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:51 pm

I've got a McPherson, Son Jordan and Louie Walker but no Speedy Tharpe. I'm sure there are a few floating around out there that could be bought. I think Speedy died about 8 or 10 years ago but was making calls right up until his death.
BTW, this post has turned into a good Leflore County Duck Hunting History Lesson. I've learned a few things I didn't even know. If you can get your hands on those articles please make copies for me.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:58 pm

SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:07 pm

Are we gonna get wet?
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:26 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
LawDawg
Duck South Addict

Postby LawDawg » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:55 pm

It's threads like these that keep me on this site.

I love some duck calling history.
"Yea, I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg, had to kill it with a shovel. it took about an hour." - Michael Scott

http://alectaylor.smugmug.com/
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:57 pm

Getting closer by the minute!!!!!!!!
Just got off the phone with George Jeffords and he said he has read the articles and it was "Miracle of the Scatters" but i was written by old Dr.Sharpe from Greenwood in the late 50's early 60's(F&S/Outdoor life). There are other articles written by him and Peephole Hall and Bob Price about hunting and fishing at Money Hunting Club back in the day. One article was "Yalobusha Deer Drive" about Money Hunting Club. He told me that Joe Whicker had all the old articles and mags from that era and Joel Whicker may still have them. He also said W.F.Smith should have them.
I am going to run down some of the other leads he gave me.

Side note: Did you know Son Jordon still lives on Park Ave. in Gwood. I think i will stop by and pick me up a call if he still has a few.
Another call maker that i forgot about was Dominic Serio but i don't think any of his calls are still around.
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:13 pm

cupnglide
Veteran

Postby cupnglide » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Never assume.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”