Ask Don Miller...or other scatters hunters

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask Don Miller...or other scatters hunters

Postby swamprooter » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:29 pm

Crackhead's cousin.............Big Un' he's called at Burkes Hunting Club.... let me listen to a DVD that was a recording of the "first" duck calling contest in Mississippi that was held in Clarksdale? the announcer was hilarious. I was surprised that some of those guys could roll a feed.......neat listen.......these guys were on there calling
"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
paraduck
Veteran

Postby paraduck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Thought I would bring this back to surface. Didnt know if ya'll had anymore to add to this post yet? Im enjoying reading about the history and hunting stories.
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:50 pm

That's actuly going to be one of my blogs on bayoublind.com. I'm going to load the audio and pictures from it I finally got this season.
When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Bump for awesomeness and off-season reading.
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:16 am

Novacaine,
Did anyone ever follow up with Son Jordan about the old 8mm footage of the Scatters hunts from the 1950's? I thought about this the other day. I'm not sure that the 8mm film would even be in working condition now if they had been kept in his attic for all those years but I'd give anything to see them and let Mr. Son give a play by play. I even mentioned their possible existence to Tate Wood last year and he seemed exited to know that this old footage of a Scatters duck hunt may exist but as far as I know he never followed up on it. I or someone else, REALLY NEEDS to follow up on this. Mr. Son is no spring chicken and time is slowly running out to even possibly have the opportunity to view this footage.
"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)
RiverDuck
Duck South Addict

Postby RiverDuck » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:22 am

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:36 pm

Give me details on this Riverduck.Pm is fine.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:56 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
rebelduckaholic
Duck South Addict

Postby rebelduckaholic » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:59 pm

I've been gone from clarksdale a while and have not been around that crowd in a good while.

When you said big un. That brought back a few memories of some good times. That guy is fun to be around. It's been at least 10 years since I've even seen one of his sons. Crazy drunken times
Work is for a man who can't fish
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:50 am

"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:33 am

Mr Son is currently occupied with caring for his wife that is suffering back problems and told me to give him two weeks and try again.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
rebelduckaholic
Duck South Addict

Postby rebelduckaholic » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:31 am

Bump a great thread since the month starting duck season is upon us...
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Bumping it again...my favorite thread on this site. Enjoy.
rebelduckaholic
Duck South Addict

Postby rebelduckaholic » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:35 pm

I always knew my dad hunted the scatters some growing up. I knew he had jordan calls and what not. He would tell me a little about it because he knew that one or two times a year I would go that way and hunt public. Well a few years back he gave me some stuff at Christmas. I got to going through it and there were tons of duck stamps signed from people that lived in that area. Turns out that my grandad either ran or owned some type of equipment store that sold duck stamps. Back then apparently when people got their new stamps they just threw these on the counter to dispose of. I took a bunch of the stamps and other older duck hunting stuff and bought a table to protect these older stamps.

Fast forward to reading this thread and I decided to go look at who all names I recognized. I saw several that were CM Jordan duck stamps from late 60's early 70's. Also found Frankie Tominello and Johnny Barrett duck stamps. Since I didn't live there I have to see the names to even know how to make out some of these signatures

Also mentioned in this article was the JT Beckhart calls. Well he gave me several calls that same Christmas. I got to looking the calls up and started researching them and low and behold was a four panel checkered Beckhart Call. He had no clue what he had. Well with having small children and not wanting to be responsible that call got out of my house rather quickly
Last edited by rebelduckaholic on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”