Ask Don Miller...or other scatters hunters

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask Don Miller...or other scatters hunters

Postby bigwater » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:47 am

man.. i'm a history guy and this thread has the jucies flowing.. its been a good one to read no doubt.. you know something i'd like to say... now i know why don miller -po monk and others were so determined to keep the scatters from going to a draw.. to think about a place such as the scatters so full of history and characters.. to think of that place being limited to a draw is kinda of saddening.. thanks again don and po monk and others for all the hard work you put in.. and thanks to the dept for listenting to these guys...

i've often wondered about doing a book similar to the "ark duck hunters almanac" except based of course on mississippi...

i wish we had something like that.. especially something thats dripping with histroy..

what i'd give to be able to back and hunt ducks during the "glory days"

btw.. i'm bad in need of some new calls to use in the field while hunting.. meat calls more or less.. these calls that ya'll are discussing from the gentleman on park ave... if you bought a call from him would that strictly be something you bought to put up and collect.. or would you buy one to take hunting with.. as an everyday call???

if anyone gets a chance to post up the above mentioned article "miracle of the scatters" please do so!
thanks
bigwater
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Big
A few people are showing interest in compiling and preserving some of this local scatters history. I think its a great idea to try to archive as much of this info as possible before its gone. I don't mean to speak out of turn but Don Miller is interested to compile the history for LFHFA and Swag is interested in preserving the family memorabilia. I'm interest just because i love history and local geography. Audio,video, and other data can be housed until that time when someone wants put together a big project. I am willing to assist anyway i can- i think its a worthwhile project.
At my work, we have embarked on a audio/video & documentation project (with the help of DSU) that is similar to this scatters idea.
One thing that enhances and provides a personal touch is video interviews. I have always appreciated a good "story teller" and there are some of these old heads still around that may be willing to sit down in front of a video camera and just talk about people and places they have hunted. Just an idea.
As far as Mr Son's call go- I guess its personal preference wether you hang it on your lanyard or put it up but i plan on using it for a while to give it my own history and then will retire it after i call in (or at least attempt to) a few. My 0.02
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:45 pm

I don't know if it was Swag or Teul2 that coined the term "Leflore Co. Grand Slam" but the idea is to show these old Leflore Co. duck calls. I will post a photo of each call over the next few weeks. One buddy has all but one but i am sure there are complete sets somewhere in leflore co.
This is my list but Don Miller and others may have additional names to add to it.
RR "Mr Mac" McPherson
CM "Son" Jordon
Dominic Serio
Speedy Tharp
Louie Walker
sprigless
Regular

Postby sprigless » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:35 pm

What about the retired gamewarden - Pilgreen (sp?) I believe was his name. I bet he could tell some stories. I know Ive heard a bunch concerning him. :wink:
Take 'em
Veteran

Postby Take 'em » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:40 pm

How do you call collectors go about acquiring these old calls? Are they passed down through the family to you or over the years you have ran across people with them and bought calls from them? Very interesting post yall have going
"When the season is over and you have $11.97 in your bank account you know you did 'er as hard as you could." -Kelley Powers
"Here comes 5 singles flying together!" -Dustin Anderson
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Take 'em
Veteran

Postby Take 'em » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:48 pm

"When the season is over and you have $11.97 in your bank account you know you did 'er as hard as you could." -Kelley Powers
"Here comes 5 singles flying together!" -Dustin Anderson
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Last edited by Don Miller on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:45 pm

"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:41 pm

Jim Pilgreen should make the hall of fame of local federal wardens IMO...He'd write his on mom a ticket if she broke a game law...and I don't mean that in a bad way. Jim Pilgreen was as hard core they they came...if it meant laying down in a rice without waders til after shooting time to bust some late shooters..he'd do it. Although our paths never crossed over the years, I have nothing but respect for him.[/quote

Amen to that! I never was on the recieving end (thank the Lord) but everyone always kept looking over their shoulder if they heard the Mr P was "in country". :D :D

I always thought the Jerome G actually LIVED in the scatter. :D
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:24 am

jerome goldberg.. thats boys kilt more dux that avaian-boutchchrollrlisim.. or whatever that big word is...

i won't even forget my encounter with mr pilgren... its a long story and one thats best shared over a drink..

i really can't say much more cause i'm not sure if the statue of limitations has passed..
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:10 pm

I am going to leave you with this as I go to bed.
These are the 2 Son Jordan calls I brought home.

Will detail the visit more tomorrow.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:07 am

Good stuff there. Been out of poket last couple of days but hope to get some stuf posted this weekend.
Are we gonna get wet?
paraduck
Veteran

Postby paraduck » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:37 am

Novacaine how much did the calls cost? Was thinkng about getting some for my boys and myself.
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:16 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”