EIC carrier?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Jeremy Mapes

EIC carrier?

Postby Jeremy Mapes » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:25 pm

I've got the chance to buy a nice JH titled chocolate male that is good on all his clearances except for the fact that he is an EIC carrier. I guess my question is what's the likelyhood of his pups being EIC carriers or even EIC affected, and how much truth is there to what EIC really is? I know of a couple older dogs that are EIC affected that have never shown any signs whatsoever. I would like to get into hunt test and possibly build a kennel off of whatever I get so that's why I'm asking. Thanks in advance-Jeremy.
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Re: EIC carrier?

Postby bulldog ducker » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:45 pm

If you breed to a EIC clear there is no chance of an EIC affected pup and a 50% chance that a pup will be EIC carrier. Breed to another carrier and you can get EIC affected pups.

Do a search and you will find a couple of threads on the topic of breeding EIC carriers. There was some pretty good information for and against breeding EIC carriers.
HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
tprice aka cowboy
Veteran

Postby tprice aka cowboy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:23 am

if you have an eic carrier dog it will not have any affect on the health of the dog. it takes 2 genes to be affected. if your dog turns out to be an excellant animal and brings something special to the breed you can still breed him but,,,,,,,,,,, as responsible owner/ breeder you would only select a bitch that is eic clear so that there is no chance of producing an affected puppy. remember on top of that you still need to have all the other health clearances which might bring you back to the question responsible breeders ask themselves..... what does breeding this dog bring to the lab world?
Jeremy Mapes

Postby Jeremy Mapes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks for the info guys.
BrettG
Veteran

Postby BrettG » Mon May 03, 2010 10:01 am

Actually the percentage of carrier pups if bred to a clear is only25%. pups get one allele from dam and one from sire. If dam is clear all she can give is clear and if sire is carrier he can either give clear or carrier. This results in just a 25% chance of carrier and 0% affected.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”