Another month soon to be another year.

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Thu Nov 01, 2001 2:24 pm

i have been wondering what kind of gun, boat and motor and decoys (and how many), if any , you use?

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: gps4 ]
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Thu Nov 01, 2001 2:39 pm

i believe that folks have already made up there mind on the robo issue and i doubt your opinion will change many people's views about the issue. there will always be different opinions and disagreements and reasons folks feel the way they do abhout the situation.
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Thu Nov 01, 2001 2:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gps4:
<STRONG>i have been wondering what kind of gun, boat and motor and decoys (and how many), if any , you use? if there's no sport in killing, why do you do it? can you not get the same satisfaction from calling, decoying, and watching the birds land in the water, the whole time knowing that if you indeed had a firearm, you could harvest the game? why does killing the bird complete the experience?
[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: gps4 ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Thu Nov 01, 2001 11:19 pm

You don't have to kill to have hunted. But you have to have the possiblty of a kill for it to be a hunt. The kill doesn't complete the expereince, the kill defines the experience from any other. The kill isnt the end, anymore than its begining. Its just a point in the whole gig. For some people, the kill is a minor point, for others it major, for some others, its clouded in ego or shame. But the kill is what makes someone a hunter, not the number of, but the possibilty of. The chance to kill and not do it, is something that might not make you a better hunter, but it certainly will change you.

If hunting is a sport, then I am a athlete. Anyone thats seen my profile can attest that hunting isnt a sport. For some its a pastime, for some its more, probably more than it should be.

GPS4, duckmen was trying to be philly-sophical, not arguementative. Arguing the merits of a toy while being philly-sophical doesnt make sense, Im sure thats why he hasn't answered you. He wrote to make you think, not to make you argue. Now what he wrote kinda bummed me out, cause I think of the people who made me, and thank them, but don't want to think the times of them being forgotten are coming. If they are forgotten, then someday so will I. They wont be forgotten till Im gone, and after that it'll be too late for me to worry about it.

I don't like being branded a consumptive user. I don't like the terms harvest, or bag. I don't like people that say it's just great being out here cause they either just said something totally obvious, or they don't get out enough, in either case they are poor candiates for good duck blind converstation. I don't like people talking about the stock market in the duck blind, not for any philly-sopichal reason, but because I simply don't like it. I like to make up words when Im duck hunting, and just when everyone figures them out, change them. Once again, for no other reason than I like it. I think some of these things may keep me from being one of duckmens grains of sand. Maybe Im a cat turd in a litter box, but when the wind blows, Im still gonna be stuck to someone's shoe. travis
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Thu Nov 01, 2001 11:32 pm

GPS4,
Did I strike a nerve?

Don't really care to change minds the Feds will do that for is soon enough. I do however care for the ducks and I don't have to kill to complete the experience. I take many youth out hunting every season. I get much more joy out of watching them take the birds than taking them myself. Now don't get me wrong my freezer is not hurting for duck meat but I don't go with the full and only intent of taking birds at all cost.
I shoot a 12ga 870 Remington 2 3/4 shells. My boat is a pirogue, and I hunt with a dozen hand painted dekes and a homemade hand turned call. Any other questions?
I plant over a dozen food plots a year that I only hunt a couple of and try to find a handicapped or single parent child that I can take several times a season.
I'm not the perfect hunter but those that know and hunt with me won’t find me hooking car batteries to a spinner to call birds in that I'm to incompetent to bring in any other way.
This sport is and should not be like deer hunting where anyone with a gun can go out and blast a deer and call himself a deer hunter. Duck hunting is an art not a kill as many as I can sport. But when you reach that Plato where you understand the game and how they react, much like the Indians did for centuries you set yourself aside and beyond the need to kill all the time. I don't shoot many birds out side of mallards and Gads. Widgeon and teal and wood ducks are just way to pretty. I will watch them in the dekes for as long as they will stay. And my friend GPS I will at all cost let all hens go.
Can you say the same?
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Thu Nov 01, 2001 11:59 pm

duckmen,
no sir, you have not struck a nerve. i am just curious as to what makes you tick. i do have another question though, is duck hunting a sport or is it not a sport. two post with opposing statements as to the sporting merits of hunting. if you hunt like you describe, then more power to you.
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Fri Nov 02, 2001 12:57 am

Have you ever stopped long enough to think about the path that you have taken in your life? I’m always amazed that I’m still here alive after all that I have been through and seen in my short 46 years. I have made many friends and some of the best were my elders. I miss many of the old people that I shared time in the fields with. I remember the Roger Wilson from an old deer camp when I was in my twenties. Roger was my age and died when a tree fell on him that was being cut down at camp so it wouldn’t fall on our camp house. I think of him and all that he missed and wonder why. I think of John Carr a 76-year-old man that took me under his wing and shared stories and a campfire like I had been his friend forever. These people are forever a part of me and I often wonder if when I’m gone if those memories go with me. We are only a grain of sand on the beach, The impact that we make on this world is so insignificant that you have to know in 100 years we will be very luck to even remembered. Think of all the old pictures and newsreels from days gone by and tell me the name of the people walking the street. Those people had lives much like ours today. The only difference is that we are able to see things as they happen thanks to communications of today. Wonder how those guys hunted back then? With few laws to govern them many would do what ever it takes to kill the game. There are those kinds of people around today. I think that we as a people tend to try and take the easy way out, He11 that is human nature to some degree. I feel that just because we don’t have to hunt to survive now that we should look at taking game in a different light. We should in my opinion give back more than we take, only with the simplest tools; (No robo’s) is where I was going with that. We should give the game every possibility to out wit us. It is an outing, an emotional link back to the past when hunting was done to survive. It is not a sport; there is no sport in killing. A sport has defined lines, a winner and a loser. If your thinking that you’re a winner by killing the game, when are they a winner? (When they get away?).
I love this way of life as much as the other and hope that the privilege never goes. It is just the changing of the season that gives me these thoughts. Another month gone by another year almost here. Do you think you’ll see 2002? Maybe I hope you do.
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Fri Nov 02, 2001 9:48 am

Well GPS4,

Now understand that this is only my opinion.
A Sport is a physical activity engaged for pleasure. Now you could argue that duck hunting is a physical activity and to a degree it is. However is making love to your wife a sport? Walking your dog a sport? Is playing with your kids a sport? They all fall in that physical activity engaged for pleasure arena.
To me hunting, trapping, working with your hands, and being self-sufficient is a way of life, a heritage more or less. No one in this country has to hunt to survive. I like the term hobby much more than Sport simply because that is what your doing. Your learning how to hunt a animal, fool it into coming close or learning where to be in order to better your chances of harvesting it. It is a collection of successful and non- successful attempts to lure your game. Lets face it many today are in it for the kill, What ever it takes and who ever it affects is of little concern as long as the primary goal is achieved, And most of the time that is the limit
It takes people a long time to rise above that level to another Plato. Some never do.
I started to see that goal after I started teaching hunter Safety courses. Listening to what the kids were saying and how they interpret what we adult do and say.

It is interesting that you want to see what makes me tick, Why Me? There are many more interesting people on this site besides me. But I will tell you what drives me if that is what you want.
I believe the things a Man hunts, when he hunts is him self. I know I have to hunt myself because I lose my self so often. When things get to the point that I don’t like where I am, what I’m doing or how I’m acting, it’s time to get away. When I have those times when I just plain don’t understand anything, when life seems meaningless and cruelty and unhappiness have become common companions to me, The woods or marsh can offer me a special sanctuary.
I enjoy the days in the marsh when nothing happens, Maybe because of the realization that a lot of things in life have a tougher row to hoe than I do. It helps me to strip away the silly self-importance I carry for no good reason. The bonding of friendship between men drives me to be a better person.
And lastly how a pair of Mallards hung between the sunrise and the tree line can make all my worries seem insignificant and powerless. That’s me in a nutshell
Now you can read into that all you want to but a man can’t see another mans sprit, you can only seek your own. When you find that path if you ever do. You too will stop calling it a sport and it will become a way of life. I really hope you get there.
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Fri Nov 02, 2001 10:11 am

duckmen,
i dont mean to single you out by asking what makes you tick. other folks will probably draw questions from me as the season gets underway.
i have noticed the previous posts you have provided on this board and other boards are very much anti-robo and critical of those that wish to use them. i often wonder if the mechanism's berate a hunter and make a person more of a hunter or less of a hunter depending on the use of such a product. the only reason i ask is because of your bringing in up in your original post. would your post still portray your thoughts as accurately if you had left out the text, "(no robo's)"? because of your inclusion of the phrase , among other previous statements, i am led to believe that the mechanical decoy poses a serious problem for you and you think less of someone that decides to use the decoy...even if the person has similar, if not the same, motivations for duck hunting. i could be wrong. i am not trying to judge you, just trying to assess your comments. thats all.
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Fri Nov 02, 2001 10:57 am

No No GPS4,
Under no circumstances do I think less of a man because he use’s a robo. I can’t blame a man for wanting the easy way out, That is human nature. I am an activist against the product. I have many of the luxury devices made today to enhance the ability to take ducks. I have hunted with spinners; A man has to experience it before he can set judgement against it. But as with many things that we humans do I voice my opinion of the device in hopes that others will see things in a different perspective. As long as they are legal and you choose to use a spinner that is your choice. No man has a right to tell you that you can’t. They can only suggest that you don’t. Today’s hunters seem to be more in need of the devices that require batteries; I’m no exception. I use a GPS, a range finder, laser sights, Q beams etc etc etc.
But when it gets down to the point where it’s between me and the game, Can I honestly say that I called them in or did the spinner pull them, Was it the mallard machine or my decoy placement. Did I give the birds a fair and impartial chance to outwit me or did I let technology do the work for me. If it is all about the killing then technology is the answer. If it’s all about pitting yourself, your prowess, your learned tactics against the game then to me it’s hunting with as little as possible.
My true opinion on the spinner is that it has taken away from the sport and now like my statement before on the deer hunter all you need is a gun and a spinner and you can call yourself a duck hunter. I hope and pray that they at some point do away with them as a device that can be used in this state.
You may not feel the same and that’s ok. Just cause you don’t agree with me it doesn’t mean your wrong. You just see things different.
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Fri Nov 02, 2001 11:11 am

i agree and might i add well said.
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Fri Nov 02, 2001 1:21 pm

At one time, hunting was only a sport to me. It has become much more. In my definition, a sport is a pastime, an enjoyable diversion. It is also a competition where a score is kept. How many folks do you know who are still there? I sure know several. Naw, we don't have to hunt anymore, for the vast majority of us, anyway. I'm not really sure when it changed for me, but I know now that hunting is a deeper, richer experience for me than it ever has been. Some say it's trite to say that the experience is more important than killing ducks, but at some point, it happened with me. Yep, I still really do enjoy shooting those greenheads in flooded timber and taking a pintail like I did this past year when a friend and I were totally surprised by a bunch in a flooded field. Love eatin' em, too! I don't think there is any way to explain how I feel about duck hunting to anybody, with any clarity at all, unless that person has passed that mark, too. I still like better shotguns, old whiskey, cold beer, looking at good lookin' women (I try to hold the line on those impure thoughts when I see a really striking young lady! I promise I do!), looking at the new Macks catalog...all the stuff we men are heir to. But being a hunter means something different to me than it once did; part of it is still means the same, though. If this doesn't make sense to you now, it probably will one day. It sure doesn't mean you are not a bonefide hunter or less of a man. It just means we are at different places in how we think about duck hunting. Plain fact is, I like to hunt with my family members and friends who are where I am in my evolution as a hunter. That's more importan now than having lots of ducks and killing a limit. Sure hope the season gets here soon cause this here philosophising is too hard on my brain!
go24
Duck South Addict

Postby go24 » Fri Nov 02, 2001 1:44 pm

This thread is begining to sound like Benny's ramblings.
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Fri Nov 02, 2001 2:16 pm

Go24

You use a spinner?

Just wondering.
Welldoggie
Veteran

Postby Welldoggie » Fri Nov 02, 2001 4:32 pm

Bottom line, you don't have to enjoy it for the same reasons anyone else does. Means different things to different folks. When I call my huntin buddy to plan a hunt, I don't say "why don't we go experience the outdoors for a morning and hear the whistling of the wings and watch the sunrise (that's how Jamison Parker would say it)"....it usually goes more like "hey dude, what say we go spank some mallards and splash the dog"

It doesn't mean I don't appreciate the time out there for all of the deeper reasons...but I probably wouldn't be out there to merely be a bird watcher.

And Goosebruce, making up new words just makes it more fun...our specialty is changing the words in the songs that are playing on the ride to the no-longer-very-top-secret public hunting spot. And the tradition of stopping by the Happy Daze to get a triple bypass cheeseburger with tater tots on the way home.

come on opening weekend!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”