Nasal Surgery

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

Nasal Surgery

Postby quack_a_tack » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:44 pm

Any of you gents ever had Sinus Surgery, I got to have it in bout 30 days and wondering what to expect. Like recovery time, pain, ect. I am pretty sure it will suck as all surgeries do but wanted to hear from someone that has had it. They will go in through my nose and remove some tissue, remove a cist in one of my maxilarries, and trim my septum from blockin my breathing. Have not breathed through my right nostril in almost two years, and can barely breathe through my right.
Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
BR549
Duck South Addict

Re: Nasal Surgery

Postby BR549 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:04 pm

check with Seymore I think he is having about the same done in the morning!
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:07 am

Yep, leaving right now. Had the roto rooter job on the left side in 04 and getting the septum fixed on the right in about 2 hours. Not that bad. Didn't hurt to much and walked around with a string hanging out of my nose for a few days. Then they yanked it out and it was over.

I'll let you know how this goes later today if I'm up and around.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
JDgator
Duck South Addict

Postby JDgator » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:01 am

lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:51 am

Oh you will love it when they take the packing out!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
grnhed
Duck South Addict

Postby grnhed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:41 am

Good luck to you both. I have several surgeries done at once in '06. However mine was not related to sinuses, but to approximately 5 or so broken noses.

Mine was a pretty bad. They had to rebreak my nose, shave bone, fix the septum, break my jaw the whole nine yards. They did rino and septo plasty, etc. on me. I was back in class 10 days later, and back in the gym within 14.

I was up and walking around 24 hours later and once they pulled the packing out, it was mainly just waiting on a little pain and swelling to go down.....
Bankermane
Duck South Addict

Postby Bankermane » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:42 am

I had it. It wasn't that bad but it didn't really fix my sinus problem. Get used to
having a four pound tampex stuck in your nose.
"Being white ain't all its cracked up to be"

"Fighting on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics...Even if you win, you're still retarded"...
MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:11 am

I had my 5th at the end of the last year. I get polyps caused by a fungus pretty bad every 4 or 5 years and they gotta go in and get em. This last time I had no packing and was ready to roll in 4 days. It was the best experience out of all the surgeries. So far I'm still clear and using the sprays they have me on to prevent the fungus.
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:48 am

I had it because of a deviated septum. Doc I used didnt use packing so it wasnt that bad. Lots of gross stuff out of your nose for a couple of days but man was it better. I was able to go to the office the next day just cant lift anything heavy.

I was advised to begin taking pineapple extract several weeks prior to the surgery and that would aid in healing time and bruising.

I think it did and dot really remember being bruised much at all.

Good luck

the doc
cajun squealer
Duck South Addict

Postby cajun squealer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:58 am

I had some work done roughly 13 years ago, and it was horrible! During my surgery, they had to break my septum in 3 places to reset it. This process basically amounts to a hammer and a punch...CRACK!!! I went back into the docs office later in the day for the removal of packing aka. "Part 1--Advanced Techniques in Patient Torchure". The best way I can describe it is this: Imagine a an instrument that could be inserted into your nostril, simultaneously latch onto each and every nasal hair, and then pull on them with slowly, very slowly, with ever-increasing force, and the hair folicles won't turn loose. Now multiply that sensation to extend 4 inches deep into your skull. And don't forget, you get to have this done twice, once for each nostril. Are we having fun yet?
Fast-forward a week through the normal day-to-day post-procedural bleeding and discomfort to the removal of splints aka. "Part 2--Patient Torchure: Taking it to the Next Level". While "splint" might be the medical term used for these devices, I just prefer to call them what they most likely resembled in shape and size--popsicle sticks! When they were finally removed and I saw how long they were, I was in disbelief that they could somehow fit into my nose and skull without 1.) killing me, or 2.) causing severe and long-term "dain bramage" (although many board members may sharply contest this point). Imagine the tender, partially scabbed inner nasal tissue running inches into your noggin with those popsicle sticks apparently superglued to it. Now while the popsicle sticks are in there: not so bad..... When they take the popsicle sticks out: dirty words. Basically a pair of forcepts are inserted into your nostril, the popsicle sticks clinched, and then slowly pryed and twisted from their bond with the skin. Inquisitive minds may be able to duplicate this feeling by shoving a copper bore brush up their nose until thier brain starts to itch and then slowly pulling it out. Just for good measure, don't forget to twist.
Quack-a-tack, while your procedure may not be exactly the same as mine, I truly hope I have provided you with some insightful information of perhaps the worst-case-scenario that will likely haunt your dreams for the next month. Best of luck, and sleep tight!
Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him.
--Willie
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:03 pm

Well, I'm up and not really in any pain but my nose is paked full and I can't breath. My mouth is drying out constant from breathing but my wife got me some glycerin sticks to keep my it moist. I go back Friday and get the packing pulled.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
Plainsman04
Veteran

Postby Plainsman04 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:36 pm

I've had 2 sinus surgeries and it's probably about time for a 3rd. The first one they did just about what it sounds like they're doing for you. They fixed my deviated septum and removed some polyps. The first thing I remember when I woke up was that I could breathe through my nose! I was in high school and my mom said that's the first thing I said to her when I woke up. Other than being allergic to demerol (found that out the hard way) the surgery itself wasn't bad. But as everybody has said, removing the packing and other "junk" in there after the surgery isn't so much fun. Having tweezers up your nose is no cake walk. However, as far as residual pain I didn't really have much. Some bleeding for a day or two but no real pain I couldn't handle. I might've taken some regular Tylenol once but sure didn't need any morphine or codeine. The stitches for the deviated septum part are more annoying than painful.

The second surgery was a cake walk. All they did was remove some polyps. I could've walked out of the hospital within 2 hours of the surgery but they make you go in a wheelchair. I didn't have the demorall that time and I was walking around the house that afternoon. The residual bleeding was minimal and I was back to 100% 2 days afterwards. The next day I was probably 90-95%. Again, no real residual pain. If you have a good doctor you'll be fine. Just make sure you're not allergic to demerol. Dry heaving with raw sinuses is no fun.
Up2Early
Veteran

Postby Up2Early » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:17 pm

I'm having the septo/rhino-plasty in June. Thanks for the stories, think I'll go take a Xanax now...
SHR Up2Early's Delta Dawn

Check out my lanyards: http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=32696&id=1348690753
grnhed
Duck South Addict

Postby grnhed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:48 pm

MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:38 pm

My surgery was just before new years and since then about once a week I hawk out a little greenish yellow thing that looks like a mold of my sinusus.

Enjoy your dinner fellas.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”