Just my luck...

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
aweyerman
Duck South Addict

Just my luck...

Postby aweyerman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:39 pm

So I slept in this morning and when I woke up around 8 I decided to go get after em anyway, in one of my national forest holes. Well I found some hens right off the bat and decided to sit down and listen. Well about 20 minutes after sitting there, I had only called once, I heard 4 different birds gobble and they were all together. Well I kept watching the hens and the toms came right to them. I figured that I might could pull a couple of those toms away and called a little bit and then continued to watch them. Well, they kept feeding around and got closer to me than they had been so I let out a ki-ki and 2 of the 4 came in on a string. There was some thick stuff in front of me so they kinda swung out about 50 yards to my left, did that stop me? Heck no my gun will knock em dead at that distance. So I shot the bigger of the 2 birds, who immediately started flopping around, then just got up and ran off. Found alot of blood and feathers but no bird. Thats just my luck. Looked for that rascal for 2 hours and never found him. Anybody else ever had this happen to them?
TEAM TOPWATER-ALABAMA
The Delta

Re: Just my luck...

Postby The Delta » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Happened to a guy on my club last year - pisses me off. How many pellets are you getting in a turkeys head at 50 yards? I don't want to criticize you but the fun of the sport is getting the turkey to come in within 30 yards. I was taught to never shoot one over 40 no matter what cannon you were firing.
aweyerman
Duck South Addict

Postby aweyerman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:11 pm

15 plus in the head at 50 with about 50 or so in a ten inch circle at that far I didn't count but it was really good, I'm shooting Hevi-13 Magnum blend 5,6,&7's. It was one of those now or never moments. I usually like them close enough to shoot with a flip but today that wasn't the case.
TEAM TOPWATER-ALABAMA
olemissduckhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby olemissduckhunter » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Pete Hotard

"T.J, Do you enjoy your manhood being called into question every five minutes?" -Teul2
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:53 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
cootkiller
Veteran

Postby cootkiller » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:10 pm

Alabanians for ya.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. -Mark Twain
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:27 pm

Damn yall would kick a feller while hes down would ya....bad enough to make him flop and then watch him amble off...........I have done it...........and will prob do it again.........thats why I carry the 7 mag for them birds that are just out of reach............ :wink: :lol: :lol:
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
huntersmky
Duck South Addict

Postby huntersmky » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:37 pm

deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:59 pm

Just be happy you didnt already strip down and swim a rushing creek full of cold, fresh rainwater...just sayin, it could be worse. :D

And for the daniel boone's, davy crocketts, annnie oakley, and ben rogers lee's out there, he was under 30 yards
aweyerman
Duck South Addict

Postby aweyerman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:01 pm

TEAM TOPWATER-ALABAMA
aweyerman
Duck South Addict

Postby aweyerman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:03 pm

I did see something I've never seen before. A crow chasing a wood duck and they went out of sight. That was a fast crow! Then about 3 minutes later 2 wood ducks came back chasing the crow. I don't know what they were doing but it was fun to watch.
TEAM TOPWATER-ALABAMA
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:44 pm

We have all taken shots we wish we hadn't. The lesson learned is that it's ok to pass on a marginal shot.
aweyerman
Duck South Addict

Postby aweyerman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:48 pm

TEAM TOPWATER-ALABAMA
olemissduckhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby olemissduckhunter » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:54 pm

Pete Hotard

"T.J, Do you enjoy your manhood being called into question every five minutes?" -Teul2
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:21 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”