boat ramp

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
nipntuck
Veteran

boat ramp

Postby nipntuck » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:58 pm

Buddy of mine wants me to build and install a boat ramp on an existing lake. I have got some ideas as to how I think it can be done but was hoping someone with experience (good or bad) could give pointers so I don't have to learn from my mistakes. Not possible to lower the lake level or to build a temporary dyke to construct "in the dry". Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
aweyerman
Duck South Addict

Re: boat ramp

Postby aweyerman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Depending on how steep it is going into the lake you might can get away just using gravel if it is just in lake with no real current. Would put it toward the "top" end of the lake where its shallower and if it floods a gravel ramp on the dam could be washed away. Thats the way alot of the watershed lakes around here in the wma's are.
TEAM TOPWATER-ALABAMA
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:06 pm

Form up a slab and let it set up. Then push the slab down into the water with a dozer or trackhoe until about a foot of it is left above the waterline. Then form up the rest of your ramp from the end of that one and rock on. Need to make sure the ground is fairly level on the lake bottom before you push in the first part, though. Uneven means it could break.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
quackheadbp

Postby quackheadbp » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:26 pm

nipntuck
Veteran

Postby nipntuck » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:54 pm

Well, I'm no expert, but I helped build the one on Wasp Lake in 08.

They formed it up about 12 feet wide (maybe it was 10) and 6 inches thick. They (the state boat ramp crew that builds ramps everywhere from MS River to state lakes) told me they preferred hog wire over rebar. You just lay your hog wire in the wet concrete and walk it in. Leaving a little wire exposed on top end is probably a good idea. They just pushed it in with the hoe but were real ginger about it. Had to do some "dirt work" under the water before the bottom of the ramp was pushed in to get it as level as possible. Came in a few days later and formed up the top part and let it set up, then pulled the boards.

Oh and as far as length, that's probably gonna depend on your incline. Wasp was real shallow and it took a lot of ramp to get to water deep enough to launch a boat. They actually dug out a hole to put the ramp in because it was so shallow. I think the section they pushed into the water was 20 or 30 feet long. I want to say it took 9 yards to do that part and 20-27 yards to do it all but I am just guessing here.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:30 am

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:44 am

Years ago, we launched at a boat ramp in Islamorada, Florida (Keys) was nothing more than sacks of Quickrete. Lay them in position and once the water seeps in, well, the concrete starts setting-up and the bags will biodegrade. Obviously, they were most likely able to do at low tide making the job much easier. Pretty impressive launch I'd say.
Last edited by duckter on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:05 am

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Bully
Veteran

Postby Bully » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:16 am

I would not put eyelets in the slab and pick it up with the hoe. There is a big chance that you will break the slab if you do not lift it properly. I would just push it in with the dozer.
Justin
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:35 am

riprap fabric, geocell confinement system, 8 inches of 610 or sb2 crushed limestone = 1 day construction project. :D
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:49 am

Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
quackheadbp

Postby quackheadbp » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:23 am

Or you could tie all ur hog wire together on land and then let it sink into place and then lay youor sacks of concrete ontop. that should keep them together and from sinking into the delta mud.
TODO
Duck South Addict

Postby TODO » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:31 am

Buddy of mine does dabbles in concrete, he built the ramp at Catfish Point and a few others. They put an eye in them and set them with trackhoe. I got a place on buelah and have been thinking about rigging a ramp. The quickcrete is an intresting idea.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:21 pm

we built one of out 2"x8" treated lumber we double up two that went right under the tires, and just ran 2x8 across them spaced about 2" apart. bolded a piece of 3/8" plate at the end and welded rebar to it. and poured the slab on top and achored the rebar in the slab. been there over 10 years.

Just dont walk out in the water on the wood part, it is super slick!

JD
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."

Return to “General Discussion Forum”