a big smile

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cmducks
Regular

a big smile

Postby cmducks » Thu Oct 25, 2001 4:32 pm

Was up before dawn this morning and heard some snow geese flying over the house (the first I've heard this year). I've seen those rascals at both ends of their range (on their breeding grounds and here on the wintering grounds), and I always look foward to hearing them as the migrate. When I heard them this morning, I found myself standing in my drive way with a big smile on my face. Can't beat that . . .
laduck
Veteran

a big smile

Postby laduck » Thu Oct 25, 2001 5:58 pm

We like the snows because they are from a wild place. They breed far from where most of us will ever go and they travel a very long distance to get down here. They are smart and live a long time (for a bird). They are truly a wild thing and we all would like to be like them. Jack

Shoot them sprigs on their first pass!
SB
Duck South Addict

a big smile

Postby SB » Thu Oct 25, 2001 6:56 pm

cmducks,

I understand what your talking about. I was out this afternoon and saw two different groups. I got that same smile on my face.
4-EYED GADWALL
Veteran

a big smile

Postby 4-EYED GADWALL » Thu Oct 25, 2001 7:12 pm

I don't smile when I here snow geese or see them I hate geese as much as I do deer because both will eat you out of house and home.

But if you want to talk about a smile when I saw about 80 G-heads and about 200 widgeons,gadwalls,and green wings mixed with the mallards today I had a smile plus some wood. They were on a peice of property I showed today the guy that was with me felt the same way. It was in northern Leflore county.
but I saw my share of geese today between Sledge and Minter City.

DON'T SHOOT THE SHOVE'S
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

a big smile

Postby Anatidae » Fri Oct 26, 2001 10:15 am

I stepped off the front porch this morning, to the sound of about 30 snows/blues.....flew right over the house. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I don't really know what it is about their 'cries' that the gets me going.....'probably that it's a sound I grew-up with, but only get to hear it, occasionally now, being this far out of the major flyway. I love the sound of a flock of geese, or even a solitary bird....'doesn't matter what kind....some get me 'goin', more than others.

I'm like some other guys, here.....it signals the Fall migration, makes us wish we had the same freedoms they do, and puts us (at least some of us), in awe of the splendors of nature that God has blessed us with. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I stop whatever I'm doing (sometimes, even breathing) when geese are in the air. It's truly a glorious spectacle. Ain't life GOOD?
It won't be long, now! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Jeff
Duck South Addict

a big smile

Postby Jeff » Fri Oct 26, 2001 10:39 am

Well I am jealous I aint heard a goose call yet. Then again it's pretty rare to hear them over New Orleans, however when the big push get goin I usually hear a few over the house. But boy I love to hear them geese talk, it's music to my ears. Esp. when you get a big body on the ground and listenin' to them gettin up, it's somekinda nice. Can't wait till some geese get down and it's time to cut some feathers!
duckhuntalot
Veteran

a big smile

Postby duckhuntalot » Fri Oct 26, 2001 10:40 am

Saw a flock of about a hundred fifty yesterday
go24
Duck South Addict

a big smile

Postby go24 » Fri Oct 26, 2001 1:07 pm

Where in the world is Yacona, MS? I thought i had seen all of the magnolia state.
cmducks
Regular

a big smile

Postby cmducks » Fri Oct 26, 2001 1:22 pm

Yocona, MS (pronounced yok-na or yoc-ni by many/most) is a wonderful little community south east of Oxford. I'm a transplant from Virginia here in MS, so I can't speak of Yocona in quite the same depth or detail as the folks who were born and grew up there, but the community is composed of some really great folks. In addition to the fire department, community center, beagle kennel (my landlord's) and baptist church, Yocona also can claim a very fine restaurant, the Yocona River Inn. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but the atmosphere and food are top-notch. While a bit on the "high dollar" side, I think its well worth it. My finacee and I visit there occasionally for a special treat. Her birhtday's coming up, and its definately for a visit there!

I know some of you all have been through Yocona, so feel free to add! Hope I haven't left out anything essential.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

a big smile

Postby GulfCoast » Fri Oct 26, 2001 2:17 pm

LOL: my sister-in-law lives in Yocona.
eyeinthesky
Veteran

a big smile

Postby eyeinthesky » Fri Oct 26, 2001 2:19 pm

Well guys I feel your anticipation. Me and some buddies put on the Jackson DU dinner last night and as we were getting ready to leave after cleaning up, we were standing around outside as about 25 snows flew over cackling and hollering. Makes you feel good after you have worked your tail off for the ducks and geese and you leave listening to that.

Shoot em in the throat
gps4
Veteran

a big smile

Postby gps4 » Fri Oct 26, 2001 2:21 pm

there is also a small community just south of vicksburg on 61 known as yokena, pronounced same as above. its full of crazies!
cmducks
Regular

a big smile

Postby cmducks » Fri Oct 26, 2001 2:51 pm

GC: small world. I don't know many of the folks in the "greater metropolitan area" of Yocona because I've only lived there for a few years. However, I rent from Bobby Carnell and he and his wife know just about everyone in the area. Great folks, and I'll be sad when I finish this degree and move on (not sad about finishing, but sad about moving!).

If you're in the area visitin', be sure to let me know.
Unkljohn
Duck South Addict

a big smile

Postby Unkljohn » Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:03 pm

An old friend of mine and his wife own the Yocona Inn. I think that he is the chef there.
JT
cmducks
Regular

a big smile

Postby cmducks » Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:10 pm

Unkljohn,

Please pass along to your friends that they sure has a wonderful place, and terrific food. As I mentioned, it my fiancee's and my favorite restaurant. I wish we could go more often, but on a graduate student salary, we save it for special occasions.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”