I may have to put my Lab down.

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

I may have to put my Lab down.

Postby cwink » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:58 pm

About 6 months he has had some issues with throwing up clear mucus.. Took him to the vet and they said it was allergies.. We changed his food and that helped but the last 2 weeks he has been throwing up has been more stomach contents and he has been coughing... Took him back to the vet last week and the said it sounds like he had some fluid on his lungs and also may have bronchial infections. The gave him some lasiks, antibiotics, and some nausea medicene. That seemed to perk him up almost back to normal.. But the last 2 days he cut back on his eating and last night he could barely get up or walk around...

Any of you had similar experiences? Can they go downhill that fast?? He is 12 years old this month
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Re: I may have to put my Lab down.

Postby Jeff » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:14 pm

I know they can go down very quickly unfortunatley. I hope he makes a recovery, and I'll keep you all in my prayers.
quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

Postby quack_a_tack » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:35 pm

Hate that for ya man, ya never know he may be fine by the time I write this, mine is 8 yrs old so time is creeping up slowly. Will pray for ya hope he gets back normal.
Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
hencutter
Veteran

Postby hencutter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Hope that he does better man. I lost Birdie 11 months ago,still think about her a lot.
driveby
Duck South Addict

Postby driveby » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:47 pm

I hate to hear that man. I hope he gets to feeling better.
http://www.dixielandcalls.com
http://www.sdb.alducks.com
http://www.SouthernDuckBoats.com

"Are you sure you're Albanian? You don't look full blooded" - Don Miller
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:32 pm

had a golden who had similar problems. could not walk, started going to the bathroom just laying down and thats when we knew it was too late.. had to put him down. i still see the look in his eyes... he was scared.. i was scared.. i miss that ole boy.. still have his collar hanging in my bedroom..

sorry to hear it man. if you have to put him down, bring the vet to the house and have him do it there. its much less stressful and the dog stays very relaxed... Sport spent his whole life in my house and i regret to this day for taking him in to be taken down... he deserved better.

sorry for your hurting...
msbigdawg1234
Duck South Addict

Postby msbigdawg1234 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:46 am

They can go down very quickly but can come back very quickly too.....Lucy my 18 yr old Golden/Lab....yes 18yrs old as of Nov 10th....was going down could not get up back before season started thought i was gone have to put her down ...watched her for a couple of days perked back up let her outside and she went to the yard and started rollin on the ground like a pup.....you never know what can happen......hope he comes around......
My name is Rick Daughtry.......

Well, I had a lot of money, but to the city went
I met too many good looking girls and that's where my money went
Yeah I know just where it went
No I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.
benelli870
Regular

Postby benelli870 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:49 am

I hate to hear about your dog, thats the hard part , my Drakie boy is like a member of our family, he is geting some age on him now, I know I am facing it with him someday,DREAD IT, hope things get better, give that dog a big hug from my family!!!!!!PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”