ATV Winch Question?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Faithful Retrievers
Duck South Addict

ATV Winch Question?

Postby Faithful Retrievers » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:52 pm

Think its a warn or a look a like 2000 lb. Went to turn the know to free spool knob feel off in my hand. There isn't a screw to hold it in place and it wont lock back in. I am going to start taking it apart, anyone every had any problems like this or taken one apart?

Second question anyone have any recommendations for new winch? Are the vipers on ebay a piece of crap? I like warn for the truck, but all the atv ones I have bought are crap no matter who made them.
http://www.grizzlyjig.com
"Better to have people think your a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"- Mark Twain
redneck22ms
Veteran

Re: ATV Winch Question?

Postby redneck22ms » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:58 pm

i put a viper winch on my last 4 wheeler and didn't have any trouble with it except i let the cable all pile up on one side of the drum and the cable got between the drum and the motor. i called them up and they sent me some upgraded bushings to keep that from happening and all i had to do was pay the shipping. the viper winches have a pretty good following of people on 4wheeler sites. most of the other chinese winches don't
shoot them in the face they may be wearing body armor lol
happyhollowchopper
Veteran

Postby happyhollowchopper » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:47 pm

RAMSEY Super Winch out last your ATV
Better to live one day as a TIGER than a whole lifetime as a CHICKEN
quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

Postby quack_a_tack » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:50 pm

I have not owned a Viper, but know several people that do and from what I have seem they are good winches. I know there customer service is possibly the best there is.
Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:12 pm

I bought a Gorilla Winch (Now Promark) for my Rancher and have not had any problems with it.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
jar0023
Veteran

Postby jar0023 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:43 pm

When I bought my ATV in 04 I picked up a Warn because of one of deals they were always running with new ATV's. In three years it was a rusted hunk. Not really faulting the winch because it spent a great deal of time under water with all the rice field and lake bottom riding. When I looked into parts from Warn the prices were outrageous. A replacement motor was more than a new winch. I looked at all the ebay deals and ended up buying an extreme winch. http://xtremewinch.com/ Mainly because they sell all the replacement parts online, cheap. When the winch arrived it looked to be a better product than Warn. Rubber O-rings to seal the motor come to mind. Two years later it still works like a champ. If something goes wrong I can buy parts cheap. If I have to buy a new one I'm out way less money than if I bought a Warn.

J
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
Faithful Retrievers
Duck South Addict

Postby Faithful Retrievers » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:38 pm

I haven't had good luck with the warn gears, two years of low use just isnt enough. I am thinking if I spend 100 or so every few years would be better. I just dont know which one of these to get. I am sure being under water a good bit had something to do with it but its only about 20 days of the year I even get on my bike. I found a viper with the rope 3000lb for pretty cheap. Promark was fairly cheap also.
http://www.grizzlyjig.com

"Better to have people think your a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"- Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion Forum”