Waders and Water

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
levi127
Duck South Addict

Waders and Water

Postby levi127 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:59 pm

Ok I am not trying to stir anything up or get anything started so dont take this post that way.

What is the deal with neoprene waders? I thought they would act like a flotating device if you fell outta the boat or anything like that. What is the answer honestly? Their have been to many people that have lost their lives in this type of situation. All over youtube someone shows the waders float, with a belt on. Is that the trick or something? Traps air and keeps water out or what?

I mean the waders are to keep the water out so in other words it also keeps the water in.

Help me understand this better and im sure plenty others that are wondering also. Im wondering on all this b/c it seems to happen a couple times a year to hunters.

Best advice I can think of to be safe is wear a vest, and leave your wader straps not attached until you still.

Is there anyone that has gotten into a pond to test these things out? Like lay in the water and fill up and see what happens or anything like that? I mean doing it with someone else with you to help incase of anything.
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff
greenheadrckr
Regular

Re: Waders and Water

Postby greenheadrckr » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:52 pm

Don't know the answer, but would like to know the "facts" also. It would be my guess that if they were to fill up, you would float upside down in the water. Unless of course you had a lifejacket on, then it may help you keep your head above the water??
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:03 pm

If those things fill ip you will sink like a rock. Fell in a slew about 6.5-7 ft deep one time and climbed up a bush that was close but the waders took me to the bottom when they filled up. Did some stupid stuff when I was younger trying to chase those dang ducks.
HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
cockandlock25
Veteran

Postby cockandlock25 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:11 pm

From what I understand, the waders with the belts act kind of like a buoy if the belt is fastened tight enough with air trapped inside. No belt just means you are wearing your death attire if you fall in and they fill up with water. The pressure will suck the waders to your body and you will probably not be able to get them off in time. I heard the story on the news last night about the guys who drowned too. None of us should take life jackets for granted when in a boat.
"What would we attempt to achieve if someone told us that we couldn't fail? Sometimes fear of failure is the only thing that stands in our way of success."
randall25x
Veteran

Postby randall25x » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:40 pm

watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXJR1hZb ... re=related

If Im on the river my neoprenes are on and a wader belt is worn. The neoprenes will also help keep you warm if you do fall in.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:47 pm

novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:48 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
Faithful Retrievers
Duck South Addict

Postby Faithful Retrievers » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:05 pm

I have never tested it but have pulled someone out of a lake that was thrown from there boat. He was in a panic and was bobbing up and down. He had on loose waders and could not get them off because they had sucked to him. Since then I have worn a belt and was told to try your best to bring your knees to your chest. If you have a vest on you should be able to make it but hypothermia sets in pretty quick. Two things to take out of these lately is where pfd and kill switch and most important respect the water any water in these temps.
http://www.grizzlyjig.com
"Better to have people think your a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"- Mark Twain
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:21 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:24 pm

levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:28 pm

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:00 pm

levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:12 pm

my biggest thing is I want to learn what to expect incase I ever come across a situation like this. Also to pass along to someone else that might sit back and be worried about this also but not wanting to ask.

Hopefully I will never experience this and hope no one else ever will. Over the last couple of years of being on here I have seen people loose their lives over little mistakes that could have been prevented. Everone makes mistakes and not perfect. B/c I have done some stupid things over the years and been lucky.

How about someone gets in a pool in their waders and posts it up?? That way it is easier for people to beleive and see. I dont have a pool so I couldnt do it.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:14 pm

Oh yea and im a little bit on the scared side, thats why I have questions and comments if you havent been able to tell. It is a lot easier said to be calm rather then panic, b/c I would be the one to panic my #$* off. But as long as you are making progress your not sinking is good way to put it
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Singlereed
Regular

Postby Singlereed » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:26 pm

I just hate that it takes a tragedy like this to make us start thinking and asking questions about this type of stuff. When the summer gets here I plan to do some testing either in a pool or in a lake with people their to help if I get in trouble.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”