Lasik eye surgery

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
HeKing
Veteran

Lasik eye surgery

Postby HeKing » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:22 pm

Guess this follows up on my last post about looking for an eye doc. I went to see Dr. Brown today and got to talkin about Lasik. Kinda kickin the idea around. It would dam sure be nice not to have to deal with contacts/glasses.
Any of you guys had it done? Are you happy with the results?
My biggest concern is the stories of people having night blindness or seeing "halos" around lights. Anybody experienced that?
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Re: Lasik eye surgery

Postby chevy01234 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:27 pm

I am blessed with good vision, but I have heard it is a miracle for a lot of people who wear contacts and glasses! Call Dr. Marascalco in Meridian, he is pretty highly regarded in the use of LASIK surgery if I remember correctly. Also pretty big hunter and not too far from Starkville (if you need another doc or second opinion or anything).

Jeff on here is an eye doc I believe, he can probably fill you in on all the pro's and con's involved. I would definitely get it if I was wearing glasses! My little brother wants to get it too and probably will in the near future.

Good luck!
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:41 pm

There is also LaHayeSIK, but don't know if it available outside of LA.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:44 pm

I had it done by Dr. Coleman in Greenwood about 12 years ago. Before the surgery I wore glasses and contacts for years and dealt with glasses fogging up and eye infections due to contacts. All I will say about the lasik is that it was worth every penny and then some. Twelve years later I still have better than 20/20 vision and my shooting skills improved a bunch. If you are an outdoors person, I highly recommend it.
"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)
Drakeshead
Duck South Addict

Postby Drakeshead » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:05 am

dukmisr2005
Duck South Addict

Postby dukmisr2005 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:07 am

i had LASIK done in jaxson about 8 or so years ago... i love it... however i still have to wear contacts now... before surgery i was a -9 in more eye and -9.5 in the other... they got me to a -2 in both... i have not had to change my contact prescription since the surgery... i went to Dr. McCaa.. she has taught many of the ones doing it now... she also does enhancements for no cost except for the surgical suit charge.. she wont do the enhancement on me as my cornea will be too thin and could collapse... i would do it again in a heartbeat...

also have a friend that does in Oxford that is from the delta, Doty Farmer...
~ Ric M.
Dulaney Seed Inc./AgVenture
877-974-7333

-- Its not the man but the message that keeps on going!! --
-- There is everywhere, but not everywhere is there...
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:09 am

LASIK is by far the most succesful corrective surgery ever performed. I am going to assume you are a student in Starkville. If so that makes you a better canidate as you will have a good 20 years before you need reading glasses. (yes once you get past 40 you will need reading glasses). THe other requirment I make my patients have is to have POOR vision. The patients that are typically happiest with the surgery are those that really need it. If your contact lens prescription is like -1.50, to me not enough hence the reason I have never had it done. -3.00 or above and go for it!

All that being said, nowadays most people that have the procedure are very happy with it. It is estimated that about 10% of people have some sort of complication with the surgery. The most common complications are halos and sensitivity to light. However there are still some that aren't happy with their vision afterwards and will have an enhancment afterwards, if you happen to fall into this category (odds are low) you will have another surgery (you are responsible for the cost, normally a discounted rate) to fix your vision. In 12 years I have seen four people that had major problems where they wished they would have never had the surgery. To me that's pretty good odds on success as I have probably seen 5,000 that have had it over the years.

One last tip, if you prescription is NOT stable, DO NOT have the surgery! If your prescription changes every year, after LASIK it still will change and you are paying over 2,000 dollars to be back in glasses and contact lenses in a few years.
timberjack
Duck South Addict

Postby timberjack » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:20 am

Jeff, can lasik completely correct a -6.50 and make it 20/20?
jebster
Veteran

Postby jebster » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:56 am

Do not wait another day to get the Lasik surgery.....do it!!! I had it done in 1997, the first year it was approved for use in the USA. The process now is much more advanced and easy. You will not regret it. The only regret you will have is having waited so long to do it! I wore glasses/contacts for 42 years.
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:01 am

bhuggins
Veteran

Postby bhuggins » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:32 am

By far the best money I have ever spent. If I was told I needed it again tomorrow, I would do it all over again.
riverat
Veteran

Postby riverat » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:41 am

the best procedure money can buy and yes itll fix a -6.5. my mom was almost legally blind and she now wears nothing, but occassionally uses reading glasses.

and they dope you up on pain killers and let you snooze the whole day away :)
lowbar
Veteran

Postby lowbar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:50 am

The best thing I have ever done in my life!!!! I wish I had had it done much sooner. Also had it done by Dr. Cook in Vicksburg and referred about 10 people to him after I had it done. I was calling up all of my friends and family who wore glasses and contacts telling them to go get it done. I couldn't even tell there was an eyechart on the wall during the evaluation and was reading 20/20 the next morning :shock: I would have paid $10,000 if I knew how good and easy it was going to be. DO IT!!!!
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:54 am

I've got -2.25 and -2.75. They've been the same for about 5 years now. Its not alot, but I hate dealing with contacts. Its danged near impossible for me to take them out at night and then wake up and put them in in the mornings without getting a shower(probably a combination of oil on my skin and the moisture). If I try, my eyes burn for a while. I would love to be able to wake up without having to deal with them. I have been tossing the idea of lasiks around for a while. Ballpark speaking, what are the costs and who is a good doctor around here to do it?
sprigless
Regular

Postby sprigless » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:58 am

What are the costs these days. I looked into it a couple of years back and I think I was quoted $5200 for both eyes. Has it got any cheaper?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”